Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:15:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Six white Oxbridge blokes

Started by biggytitbo, June 23, 2018, 10:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Autopsy Turvey

QuoteFor the funniest people evar, the Pythons really are being fucking humourless about this. I mean look at this from Gilliam:

"It made me cry: the idea that ... no longer six white Oxbridge men can make a comedy show.

Where did you get that quote? Because the quote I've seen says "It almost made me cry and angry that comedians and six white men from Britain can not be together, we needed one from there, one from there, we needed everyone to be represented."

So he's not saying that six white men from Oxbridge should get their own TV show *because* they're six white men from Oxbridge, he's more being critical of the idea that comedy teams should be socially engineered according to an ideological checklist, like selecting models for a Benetton ad, rather than a group of people with shared cultural experiences coming together naturally to comment on/ridicule those experiences with some degree of authority and united vision (in a country, incidentally, where over 85% of the population is white).

QuoteI doubt they care about other groups getting in,

I suspect they think all that matters is how funny/original/well-crafted the comedy is, the sad old outdated bastards.

Quotethey just resent their group being attacked based on identity.
They're wrong and stupid and quite why they would sit down at the end of their rich lives and say this is beyond me,

Why are they wrong and stupid for resenting their 'group' being attacked? I suspect 'resent' isn't the right word, but it's possible they might think that attacking a 'group' on the basis of their 'identity' is wrong. When Gilliam says

QuoteI do not want to be white anymore, a white man, I do not want to be blamed for everything wrong in the world.

many of you will presumably scoff and blow a raspberry and scream words like 'entitled', 'privileged', 'old', 'racist', 'white' and 'cunt' at him, but it might be worth considering if these sort of sentiments have any bearing on the male suicide rate, or the academic underachievement of working class white boys?

I've said on here before, I'm increasingly wary of saying anything online these days because I'm painfully aware that I'm just yet another straight white man, and I'm told 'my voice' has dominated the western world for hundreds of years, that straight white men should shut up and let non-straight non-white non-men be heard. I'm fine with that, I like to keep my head down, read a good book every now and then and get some walking in, but it's a 'narrative' that could end up becoming enormously 'problematic'.

Twed

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 04, 2018, 07:24:27 PM
For the funniest people evar, the Pythons really are being fucking humourless about this. I mean look at this from Gilliam:

Oh boo hoo. Some people from different backgrounds get to make comedy now, it truly is the death of civilisation.

Anycunt whining because people have prodded at them for having an Oxbridge education is a ludicrous tosspot. Get a thicker skin you hypocrites.
https://twitter.com/theatlasofworld/status/1014824264464248834

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Twed on July 05, 2018, 04:53:21 PM
https://twitter.com/theatlasofworld/status/1014824264464248834

To be fair though, young cunts seem to find it equally funny if that 4chan "attack heliopter LOL" hackery is anything to go by.

Twed

Yep. I regular have to chastise a 22 year old co-worker for that shit. He's actually said the attack helicopter one. Little shitbag.

BritishHobo

Exactly, they're perfectly happy doing the cringeworthy 'black transgender lesbian in a wheelchair' shit, and everyone's frothing about the loss of political incorrectness, and why can't Ricky Gervais laugh at transgender people and ooh it's so sad that sensitive millenials are offended by the Indian stereotypes on The Simpsons, but you make one fucking jab at fucking posh white men FROM FUCKING OXBRIDGE and suddenly oh no, oh no now that is too far, now that just shows how nasty the left are, ooh, I'm Terry Gilliam and this makes me want to cry.

No fucking sympathy. Rich, hugely successful white artists who can give it to the weakest and most vulnerable but can't handle taking it. Nah, fuck 'em. Grow the thicker skin you so tediously demand of the rest of the world.

Autopsy Turvey

None of Python were what you'd call posh. Does Terry Gilliam "give it to the weakest and most vulnerable?" Who are the "weakest and most vulnerable" in this case? I think you might be mixing up a number of complex issues in an overly simplistic and hysterical manner, but I thank you for reminding me why I so seldom come here these days.

Twed

He was pretty angry towards raped women about a month ago.

madhair60

edit to remove easily misconstrued post

madhair60

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Replies From View on July 04, 2018, 06:33:36 PM
For me, sketch shows felt they were coming to a natural end with The Fast Show.  By the final series or so, their sketches were no longer about building up towards the joke; they were distilled fragments and echoes of previous sketches that in themselves were stripped of context.  A family runs along a train platform holding an enormous amount of luggage, and the dad at the front of the rush yells "come on!"  And that's it.  It takes about three seconds, and we're onto the next sketch.  It felt like The Fast Show was deliberately and definitively putting the coffin nails into the sketch show format as it had existed up to then, so future creative folk would need to work harder to not be simply moving backwards.

Then along came Little Britain and I couldn't believe it.  The Fast Show had seemingly achieved fuck all.

I won't rant about sketch comedy as I've already said everything but jesus this struck me as the most tedious of tedious opinions.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on July 05, 2018, 06:47:59 PM
None of Python were what you'd call posh. Does Terry Gilliam "give it to the weakest and most vulnerable?" Who are the "weakest and most vulnerable" in this case? I think you might be mixing up a number of complex issues in an overly simplistic and hysterical manner, but I thank you for reminding me why I so seldom come here these days.

It's a shame that one person being theatrical with their opinion in a thread where plenty of people have been agreeing with the Pythons is a reason to write off the board, but you do you.

Icehaven

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on July 05, 2018, 06:15:41 PM
To be fair though, young cunts seem to find it equally funny if that 4chan "attack heliopter LOL" hackery is anything to go by.

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 05, 2018, 06:19:32 PM
Exactly, they're perfectly happy doing the cringeworthy 'black transgender lesbian in a wheelchair' shit

And ironically there were 'jokes' about Channel 4 being run by black disabled lesbians being bandied about nearly 40 years ago.

Theremin

Terry Gilliam started with Monty Python in 1969.

That's 49 years ago, nearly half a fucking century.

He's clearly woefully out of touch in the world of work, so it's baffling that some writers would think a bloke that age has social opinions that are up-to-date or worth defending.

It's Grandad, remember, and we don't listen to what Grandad thinks about women or foreigners. Safer that way.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Theremin on July 06, 2018, 09:17:28 AM
it's baffling that some writers would think a bloke that age has social opinions that are up-to-date or worth defending.

What is an "up-to-date social opinion"? That comedy teams should be assembled by ideological checklist? That we should compartmentalise artistic 'voices' according to skin colour? That positive discrimination in comedy is good and necessary, even if it means promoting mediocrity from a much shallower talent pool?

QuoteIt's Grandad, remember, and we don't listen to what Grandad thinks about women or foreigners. Safer that way.

Reject the opinions of everyone over a certain age, then we don't have to listen to them, think about them or rebut them rationally? In any case, what has Terry Gilliam said about "women" and "foreigners" that you find 'offensive'?

Brundle-Fly

This line made me laugh, "Here they are the silver spooned Fauntleroys of comedy:"

and in the comments : "Stewart Lee and Miranda Hart might as well've!"

https://ianbone.wordpress.com/2012/01/18/student-writes-rejection-letter-to-oxford/

gilbertharding

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on July 06, 2018, 11:38:15 AM
What is an "up-to-date social opinion"? That comedy teams should be assembled by ideological checklist? That we should compartmentalise artistic 'voices' according to skin colour? That positive discrimination in comedy is good and necessary, even if it means promoting mediocrity from a much shallower talent pool?

Reject the opinions of everyone over a certain age, then we don't have to listen to them, think about them or rebut them rationally? In any case, what has Terry Gilliam said about "women" and "foreigners" that you find 'offensive'?

If that's what you think ANYbody is actually saying, no wonder you're as angry as Cleese and Gilliam.  But I don't think anyone is actually saying that.

And Gilliam co-opting the identity of groups who are or have been oppressed because of their identities, is pretty offensive, actually - especially as it is a defensive swipe at a misconstrued non-attack. His defence of [things almost certainly done by] Harvey Weinstein is also pretty shitty.

Fuck 'em - they're successful and rich - I'm amazed and disappointed they care.

Theremin

Yes, you're completely right - I am a straw man and certainly believe all those things you just made up.

Theremin

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 06, 2018, 02:58:02 PM
If that's what you think ANYbody is actually saying, no wonder you're as angry as Cleese and Gilliam.  But I don't think anyone is actually saying that.

And Gilliam co-opting the identity of groups who are or have been oppressed because of their identities, is pretty offensive, actually - especially as it is a defensive swipe at a misconstrued non-attack. His defence of [things almost certainly done by] Harvey Weinstein is also pretty shitty.

Fuck 'em - they're successful and rich - I'm amazed and disappointed they care.

Thanks Dad, very nicely put.

gilbertharding

Of course ageism is pretty disgusting too. Most older people aren't privileged by it.

Brundle-Fly

It's odd that all these debates about being progressive, tolerant and civil with our fellow humans are nearly always so unpleasant.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 06, 2018, 04:50:29 PM
It's odd that all these debates about being progressive, tolerant and civil with our fellow humans are nearly always so unpleasant.

No it's not odd at all you absolute fucking cunt

Revelator

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on July 06, 2018, 06:21:09 PM
No it's not odd at all you absolute fucking cunt

And I say it is, you odious piggyeyed cocksucker.

shh

What is an "up-to-date social opinion"?

I wouldn't worry yourself. Just feel sad that Monty Python aren't around today to parody this sort of infantile teleology (see Christians, Marxists, etc).

BritishHobo

They are around and their responses have been shit and hacky

marquis_de_sad

BritishHobo

No point being sad about it. Always look on the bright side of life, I say.