Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,469
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:54:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oxford

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, June 23, 2018, 10:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: manticore on June 24, 2018, 05:04:36 PM
Oh, it seems that I'm not understanding something. A little explanation please?

It just seems to me that a lot of councils are very quick to ban cars or or making it inconvenient to get about when what they should be doing is making it easier to use public transport or easier to cycle around without getting flattened by some bellend in an audi.

greencalx

Not sure if it's relevant to the public transport discussion but oxford holds the distinction of the only town I've visited where the local youths hurled stones at the bus I was sitting on.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: greencalx on June 24, 2018, 05:33:36 PM
Not sure if it's relevant to the public transport discussion but oxford holds the distinction of the only town I've visited where the local youths hurled stones at the bus I was sitting on.

It was properly kicking off on the late bus last night. The driver ended up having to kick some bloke off for his own safety because some ex army bloke was screaming at him.

manticore

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 24, 2018, 05:28:48 PM
It just seems to me that a lot of councils are very quick to ban cars or or making it inconvenient to get about when what they should be doing is making it easier to use public transport or easier to cycle around without getting flattened by some bellend in an audi.

Oxford city centre isn't very big though, it's quite easy to walk or cycle anywhere in it, or would be if it wasn't for all the bloody motor vehicles that they're going to get rid of. I strongly support this idea, not just for the pollution-reduction but the how it'll make the experience of going there a million times wore pleasant and civil.

manticore

I actually protested against the traffic on the High Street, Oxford in the late 80s. Stood outside the Town Hall with George Monbiot, who was barking NO CARS, NO CARS in a rather spooky, robotic voice. Been a bit scared of him ever since.  A Labour City Councillor on his way into the Town Hall said to us 'Why aren't you at work?', a Labour councillor said that. Nice to hear they seem to have changed their attitude a bit.

Cuellar

I fully support the ban, as someone who lives and works in the city.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 24, 2018, 05:28:48 PM

But yes, they need to be doing this as well. Of course, getting shot of the cars would go a long way to making it easier to cycle around without getting flattened by a bellend. Would still leave the bellends in eco friendly buses who, rather than just knocking you to the ground, might actually kill you.

TOP TRAVEL TIP FOR OXFORD: Hang around Manzil Way and other more easterly parts of Cowley Road at night (or in the middle of a weekday) and marvel at the local nutters.

manticore

The East Oxford area was fucking abysmal for traffic as well, probably still is and for decades to come. People mown down and sometimes killed quite regularly. We blocked off Cowley Road one Sunday afternoon and had a party, police didn't stop us, they didn't dare. Are there still anarchists in Oxford I wonder? Maybe visit them Angrew, I'm sure they'd give you a good time.

madhair60

HOW THE FUCK DID YOU GET A TRAIN TO OXFORD FROM CAMBRIDGE FOR TWENTY EIGHT QUID

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: madhair60 on June 26, 2018, 06:37:05 PM
HOW THE FUCK DID YOU GET A TRAIN TO OXFORD FROM CAMBRIDGE FOR TWENTY EIGHT QUID

-Railcard
-Advance ticket
-Being a mother fucker

Course with great northern and thameslink fucked up the pipe right now, the journey may end up taking 3 times as long as the actual fun visiting bit

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I am going to Oxford tomorrow.

Got a first from Oxford. Fucking hated it. Shit place told study and live. Dogshit.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

First inpressions: just like cambridge right down to the buses, the nothingy bit between the station and centre and all the old buildings being boxed off into theit own little quarter away from all the department stores and coffee shops. Only real difference is that I don't know where anything is.
Am currently in the Pitt Rivers though and it is ace so cheers pancs

pancreas

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on June 30, 2018, 01:51:37 PM
First inpressions: just like cambridge right down to the buses, the nothingy bit between the station and centre and all the old buildings being boxed off into theit own little quarter away from all the department stores and coffee shops. Only real difference is that I don't know where anything is.
Am currently in the Pitt Rivers though and it is ace so cheers pancs

Make sure to gawp at the shrunken heads.

mojo filters

Used to live up in Summertown, which was posh and not as interesting as Cowley Rd area - the locals were fine, but the fucking stewdants were a right bunch of tits poncing around in academic gowns during term time.

Our best local pub for the football was the Dew Drop. After a few shandies, our northern inflections gave that an unintentional anti-semitic note!

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Nice little trip. Took a brief look at the old uni buildings and castle grounds then nabbed an ofo bike and had a cycle down the towpath. It was all gravelly and I managed to pick the wobbliest cunting bike in the entire city. Nearly fell in the Thames a few times. Not very relaxing but quite fun. I know you like mocking me for my mistakes and failures pancs so you can have that one for free

kittens

pitt rivers more like shitt rivers. if i wanted to see a bunch of old shit in boxes i'd spend the afternoon under my bed.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I loved the Pitt Rivers. It had a section on extreme body modification and an entire floor about guns! Also a nice big geology section (ace) and some dino skellingtons

Spent approximately 20 minutes in the Ashmoleam and most of that was using their wifi to check my phone. Better things to be doing pal.

Although I did then waste another half an hour trying to figure out how to get the Ofo app to work.

manticore

Quote from: kittens on June 30, 2018, 07:32:25 PM
pitt rivers more like shitt rivers. if i wanted to see a bunch of old shit in boxes i'd spend the afternoon under my bed.

I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT! Actually I didn't because I thought you'd lied about going at all. But then 'it was fine', no, didn't believe that for a moment. No one comes away from there thinking 'it was fine'. It disturbed you didn't it? Freaked you out? Blowpipes and darts, scary eh? Shrunken heads? Knuckledusters and wrist-knives?

Totally understand, scary world, stuff of nightmares, gazing into the abyss indeed.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Kittens is a pussy, couldn't even handle some tiny heads and deformed Chinese feet.

Stoneage Dinosaurs