Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:16:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dimwitted question about Malcolm Tucker

Started by tookish, June 24, 2018, 12:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tookish

I've been rewatching The Thick of It for the first time in years, as my partner hadn't seen it. We are up to the Goolding inquiry and I can't work out if Tucker actually leaked Tickel's medical records. It seems wildly out of character and I find it hard to believe he would actually do something like that to a member of the public, especially one with mental health problems. I think he was set up, but I don't know if I'm just being thick here.

New Jack

That's why he gets arrested, and tries to find a quiet police station to do so. He has committed perjury by lying under oath about having leaked Tickel's records.

I know it seems harsh about his character, but he also, it is implied, leaked something about Baroness Sureka to have her miss some of the inquiry. So it's even duplicated there. Nasty!

Sebastian Cobb

He set up Nichola Murray's aide so the press would snap a picture of her notes as well.

a duncandisorderly

I read that plotline as part of his neurotic spiralling (eventually) out of the show.

I seldom watch channel-4 news, but one evening I had it on in the background & my attention was caught by alastair campbell's sudden & unscheduled arrival in the studio.
were they riffing off that?

New Jack

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 24, 2018, 04:58:11 PM
He set up Nichola Murray's aide so the press would snap a picture of her notes as well.

Aye, that's his motivation, along with, I reckon, his sincere belief that 'leaking culture' is how you control things, showed by his panic when it all comes out.

Hmm, a few years on, seems a bit more dramatic... Not sure our actual systems have changed that much sadly.

But Iannuci is on record saying Malcolm is 'dead or in jail'. He was guilty, and like most megalomaniacs, believed he was absolutely justified in his methods.

Sebastian Cobb

I always liked the scene where him and Stewart have an argument at the radio station and decide neither of their staff is worth trying to destroy each other over.

StuglePStugleton

I always saw him essentially doxxing Tickel as the sign that he'd gone too far, and everything after that was him trying to save face but also atone for it by ensuring all the people who also wronged him don't escape repercussions. As he knew that him getting caught would make him a scapegoat.