Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:38:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Games Of The Year (Halfway Edition)

Started by The Boston Crab, June 24, 2018, 09:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
With the summer solstice behind us and E3 a distant memory of amalgamated hubbub, what are the best or most notable games you've played so far this year? (To avoid list thread syndrome, this thread will self-destruct in one week and all discussion of the games mentioned should be reposted to the relevant threads.)

Paladins

A really fun and varied Overwatch style team shooter. It's technically very good, very responsive and snappy shooting and special move stuff, lots of variety to the 'heroes' and loadouts and it's incredibly good at getting you right in the thick of the action. It's also got a pretty short TTK for most heroes so you can build some really exciting streaks, and you feel great when you stay alive for more than a few minutes or so and you seem to have the advantage over the other team. I much prefer it to Overwatch which I played on both One X and have on the PS4 and which never really clicked for me. This is the first FPS I've truly loved since Titanfall 2.

Ikaruga

Until the recent re-release on Switch, I had never really clicked with Ikaruga. I've properly got into the bullet hell stuff this year and became pretty obsessed with Mushihimesama and Dodonpachi Daioujou and various emulated games on FB Alpha until my laptop basically melted (now I have no means til I can be arsed getting a new one, which I don't actually need) but Ikaruga didn't really do it for me. It doesn't have that overwhelming suffocating bullet herding escape and manipulation sensation which is what I love about the genre. It's more of a puzzle game and it feels like there's a correct way to play it and a shit way. And I found that a bit boring and grindy in concept. Fast forward to the Switch release and the ability to work on chapter 1 on the bog or in bed or while cooking or whatever and it's really hooked me. While there is an optimum way to play the game, it's just fun to learn that for myself and keep refining that one chapter. I'm still way way off being good but the more I play the more I can feel my brain syncing with the game's particular patterns and rhythms and strategies, and that is so satisfying to me. It is one I'll be playing for years to come.

Z

I haven't even played it but burnout paradise HD gets it for me

Best game I've played for the first time this year: Zelda BotW
Worst game I've played this year: actual sunlight
Most played console: New 3DS XL

Hecate

It's been a very weird year for me, lots of weird things going on. Haven't bought or played many games so I don't really think my opinion counts for anything.
The big stand out I suppose would be Slay the spire, but I've just checked and that was November last year.

I've got nothing.

brat-sampson

Indie: Celeste. No Question. I hadn't even heard of it before it came out but I loved it immediately.

AAA: God of War. Room to change though with a lot still to come.

madhair60

Infinite Warfare. Went in like pffft CoD, finished it today saluting the screen with tears pouring down my fat face.

Hecate

2016's call of duty is your game of the year? The single player campaign?

biggytitbo

Dark Bowels remastered is the only new game I've played this year I think, if that counts.

Penfold

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life. See ya Kiryu! Hi Beat Takeshi!
Fist of the North Star. I am biased because I haven't finished it yet but I still love it and anything the Yakuza team do.

I think the only other new game I have played this year is God of War which I really enjoyed despite my dodgy controller. Like others though I had no interest in doing activities when the main story finished. Everything else has been old stuff like Nier: Automata (Yay!) and Persona 5 (Nay!)

Predictions for end of year list: Yakuza Kiwami 2, Fist of the North Star (in English), and Fire Pro Wrestling World (PS4 release). I'll probably also enjoy Spider-Man and RDR2.

Kryton

Streets of rogue - It's a fast-paced rogue-lite/bullet hell style game that takes the best parts of a ton of genres and throws them into a ridiculously fun little mix.

It's clever, it's anarchic and allows for a ton of ways to play through the game in a kind of raw, top-down sandbox style with tons of dynamic behaviour and carnage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HxyZTb6EsI

8.6/10

Barry Admin

Still really loving Pokémon Go, very addicted to it. Loads of new features this year, and a constant slew of events to keep everyone going mad over summer. Been playing a bit of Xbox again, but really just CoD: WW2. Sledgehammer are a bit meh as developers, but they seem to still be putting lots of effort into keeping things fresh. The recent zombie event was corking, mixing Zombies with the Hardpoint mode made for very manic fun times.

Bhazor

I haven't actually played it for more than 20minutes but Monster Hunter World is my game of the year.

As for new games I've actually played, well I've not actually played many new ones. So it would probably be Total Warhammer 2 which I didn't get into until a couple months ago.

Kelvin

It's not the most ambitious by any stretch, but minute for minute, I've most enjoyed my time with Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon this year. All the other quality games I've played - Xenoblade 2, Celeste, Hollow Knight, Ikuragua - have balanced incredible highs with real frustrations, and for pure gaming pleasure, Bloodstained was a simple joy from start to finish. Each run is about 1 and 2 hours long, and it has multiple routes, characters, difficulties and endings to incentivise replay. As a spiritual successor to classic Castlevania games, it's not trying anything new, but it's a highly refined experience that plays, looks and sounds great, and never outlasts it's welcome.

Bhazor

Yeah I never really got Shovel Knight but Bloodstained:CM was pretty good.