Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:20:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bad Religion release terrible, toothless out of touch Alt Right 'protest' song

Started by ajsmith2, June 24, 2018, 09:57:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith2

Entitled 'The Kids Are Alt-Right'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hES9IBTPbcw

I presume (hope?) this was intended to be a satirical swipe at the alt right, but it's so monumentally clueless it ends up looking more like a supermarket own-brand fashion range advertising campaign trying to cash in on this crazy fascism thing the kids are into these days. It's bad.

hedgehog90

That's awful!
I only lasted 30 seconds but immediately recognised it as another clumsy anti-racist song in the same vein as Black Flag's White Minority or Minor Threat's Guilty of Being White.
But unlike those songs, it's too shit to be appropriated by the alt-right.

itsfredtitmus

Aka songs that only exist because someone came up with the title and thought it was too good not to use

Z

In fairness to Bad Religion, their lyrics have always been pretty fucking terrible if you actually listened to them. The vocalist worked very well with the sound (for about 20 minutes at a time) but the actual words were beyond dumb if you processed them.

Anyways

You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ykU5xNgZ6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Pok72d_sU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD-h6lxPeo8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn33LLmwzeY

kngen

Quote from: hedgehog90 on June 24, 2018, 10:21:03 AM
another clumsy anti-racist song in the same vein as Black Flag's White Minority

White Minority was sung by Ron Reyes, a Latino. World of difference between that and Minor Threat's rather misjudged effort.

DukeDeMondo

I don't really see the issue. It's not a good song, but I don't think it's all that crazy of a thing to have happened, Bad Religion targeting the alt-right in a not very memorable sort of way. Pretty predictable, like.

Funcrusher

Quote from: hedgehog90 on June 24, 2018, 10:21:03 AM
That's awful!
I only lasted 30 seconds but immediately recognised it as another clumsy anti-racist song in the same vein as Black Flag's White Minority or Minor Threat's Guilty of Being White.
But unlike those songs, it's too shit to be appropriated by the alt-right.

I don't recall either 'White Majority' or 'Guilty of Being White' as being anything other than obviously not racist.

Funcrusher

Just listened to the Bad Religion song. Seemed okay to me - moderately amusing, fairly on point. Certainly not pro alt-right.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Funcrusher on June 24, 2018, 03:45:39 PM
I don't recall either 'White Majority' or 'Guilty of Being White' as being anything other than obviously not racist.
what

ajsmith2

Quote from: Funcrusher on June 24, 2018, 03:50:33 PM
Just listened to the Bad Religion song. Seemed okay to me - moderately amusing, fairly on point. Certainly not pro alt-right.

Whit? No one's accusing the song of being pro alt right. Apologies if my wording of the thread title and opening post could be interpreted that way. It's clearly an 'attempt' at a comment on the the current situation. But the point is it's so edgeless as to be practically spherical. To me, they're trying to evoke and satirise the craziness of recent far right populism but just end up pointlessly restating it in a redundant way.

Still, starting a thread to just slag something off is bad form really. Bit of a dick move. It's good you got something from the song; a more positive outcome than my snidey thread idea. But I really thought it's poorness was noteworthy and says something about the inability of older forms of counter culture like punk to meaningfully or accurately reflect todays issues and conflicts.

gmoney

I used to love Bad Religion as a kid, and I still have a soft spot for them. They basically released the same record over and over though. I'm a little surprised they're still a going concern to be honest. This sounds like most of their older stuff, but a bit slower and glossier. You're right it's a bit toothless as well.

My favourite bad lyric of theirs is "I'm going for a walk/ and not the after dinner kind!" Cheers for clarifying Greg, I thought you were just going to help your Sunday roast digest.

Funcrusher

Quote from: ajsmith2 on June 24, 2018, 06:39:39 PM
Whit? No one's accusing the song of being pro alt right. Apologies if my wording of the thread title and opening post could be interpreted that way. It's clearly an 'attempt' at a comment on the the current situation. But the point is it's so edgeless as to be practically spherical. To me, they're trying to evoke and satirise the craziness of recent far right populism but just end up pointlessly restating it in a redundant way.

Still, starting a thread to just slag something off is bad form really. Bit of a dick move. It's good you got something from the song; a more positive outcome than my snidey thread idea. But I really thought it's poorness was noteworthy and says something about the inability of older forms of counter culture like punk to meaningfully or accurately reflect todays issues and conflicts.

Are there younger forms of counter culture and are they doing much to meaningfully reflect today's issues and conflicts? The Bad Religion song seems to be saying 'a number of todays young people are becoming conservatives, what's up with that?' Which is kind of what you would expect old punks to do.

ajsmith2

I feel bad about starting this snidey thread now. Not a good idea. Enjoy the song those who do.

Funcrusher

Quote from: ajsmith2 on June 24, 2018, 07:06:36 PM
I feel bad about starting this snidey thread now. Not a good idea. Enjoy the song those who do.

Now I feel bad for disagreeing.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: kngen on June 24, 2018, 02:11:18 PM
White Minority was sung by Ron Reyes, a Latino. World of difference between that and Minor Threat's rather misjudged effort.

"misjudged". Like an Alan Sugar tweet.

Twed

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 25, 2018, 03:16:16 PM
still not as bad as Le Tigre's 'I'm With Her'

That effort, bland as it was, won me over because, when I went to watch it for the first time, I accidentally watched a response video instead. An MRA ranted at the camera about the many failings of the song, the video, the band, Clinton, women, etd. So far, so standard  for people on the internet (hmmm...there may be a cash-in song in this...), but what made it stand out was just how woefully and objectively wrong he was, not just on things you'd expect to disagree with an MRA about.

Within a couple of minutes, he was claiming that Le Tigre were clearly not punks, had no punk credentials, and no link to any punk scene....unlike "The Ramone". Which one, MRA man? And why not the other Ramones?

[I suspect he may have seen a T-shirt once]

Honestly, I was half convinced he was a character comedian.

Sadly, I tried to show a friend the video only last month (we were discussing how unmemorable IWH was), and could not for the life of me find it among the manospheres musings on Le Tigre.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Hobo With A Shit Pun on July 04, 2018, 02:28:23 PM
That effort, bland as it was, won me over because, when I went to watch it for the first time, I accidentally watched a response video instead. An MRA ranted at the camera about the many failings of the song, the video, the band, Clinton, women, etd. So far, so standard  for people on the internet (hmmm...there may be a cash-in song in this...), but what made it stand out was just how woefully and objectively wrong he was, not just on things you'd expect to disagree with an MRA about.

Within a couple of minutes, he was claiming that Le Tigre were clearly not punks, had no punk credentials, and no link to any punk scene....unlike "The Ramone". Which one, MRA man? And why not the other Ramones?

[I suspect he may have seen a T-shirt once]

Honestly, I was half convinced he was a character comedian.

Sadly, I tried to show a friend the video only last month (we were discussing how unmemorable IWH was), and could not for the life of me find it among the manospheres musings on Le Tigre.

I saw another takedown video of from the time done by Chris Ray Gun which also kind of struck me as a bit lame as he criticised Le Tigre for claiming to sound 'punk' but then he was like 'no you idiots, punk sounds like this' before playing some generic 90s sounding shouty crap for contrast like it was the purest most undeniable distillation of the form. About 7 minutes into this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC096xzC4Z4