Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:38:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your favourite licensed songs on videogame soundtracks of yesteryear

Started by Z, June 24, 2018, 12:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z

I dunno about you, but on Fifa 2000 I used to get super pumped when Sell Out by Reel Big Fish was the song that would play in the menu between games. I know the game was all about Robbie Williams (wasn't he the highest stat player in the game after Pele 1970, Maradona 1986, Zidane and 'Number 9'?)

and Street Sk8er? That game was all about that one Less Than Jake song, I can't even remember what the other one was.

Playing Burnout Paradise now, I kinda love the abrupt realisations of "oh fuck, this game is crazy old" when a song from Brand New's 2006 album (an album I remember downloading on dialup) comes up.

...this is gonna be an EA/GTA centric thread, I suspect.

gmoney

If You Must by Del tha Funkee Homosapian on Tony Hawks was always a treat.

I love riding around the countryside on a motorbike listening to Mother by Danzig on GTA San Andreas.

mrfridge

MEGABLAST by Bomb The Bass on Xenon 2: Megablast.

1989 on the Atari ST. Great game, great tune.

https://youtu.be/EgjNb-6EOYw

asids

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 had a great soundtrack, including the version of Bring The Noise by Public Enemy they did with Anthrax.

Malcy

Greensleeves in Kings Quest

DMX - Party Up on Tiger Woods 2004

Chemical Brothers - Under The Influence on Wipeout

99% of Scarface: The World Is Yours

Johnny Paycheck - It Won't Be Long (I'll Be Hatin' You) - GTAV (and most of the other GTA game OST's are filled with great tracks)

Quote from: asids on June 24, 2018, 01:57:29 PM
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 had a great soundtrack, including the version of Bring The Noise by Public Enemy they did with Anthrax.

Yeah i was never into the games but that Disc was in the CD player often. Had The High & Mighty - B Boy Document on it, classic. The Wu-Tang game was in there a lot as well.

newbridge

"Superman" by Goldfinger from one of the first Tony Hawk games. Nothing better than when that came on.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

http://nfssoundtrack.com

Some of you will appreciate this - just been listening to the horrendous Metropolis Street Racer soundtrack.

Great days, epic shite

ASFTSN

All the Moving Shadow drum n bass songs on Rollcage and Rollcage Stage 2 were great.

samadriel

Crazy Taxi didn't have a brilliant soundtrack, but it was a fun enough game that I became quite fond of the Offspring and Bad Religion songs they used.

the

Crazy Taxi is one of my favourite games of all time. Due in no small part to being able to turn the BGM off on the options screen.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on June 24, 2018, 11:23:16 PM
http://nfssoundtrack.com

Some of you will appreciate this - just been listening to the horrendous Metropolis Street Racer soundtrack.

Great days, epic shite

I remember Bullet From The Gun by Planet Perfecto coming on after a couple of tracks of Richard Jacques' shite and thinking "Yeah, it's all kicking off now!" and discovering ten seconds later that it was a commercial.

DESOLATION.

Hello honey, I didn't mean to trouble you,
I was just cruisin' along in my BMW.

RICHARD JACQUES BETTER THAN WILL SMITH THO.

bushwick

Everything on Wipeout was pretty amazing, revolutionary at the time really, tunes seemed tailor made for the game

ASFTSN

Quote from: bushwick on June 26, 2018, 01:31:05 PM
Everything on Wipeout was pretty amazing, revolutionary at the time really, tunes seemed tailor made for the game

They were for the first one at least weren't they?  Incredible music that takes me right back as soon as I hear it to these day:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOwNv7kp4Oo#t=1m16s

Twed

Funny to remember that he is also responsible for the music in Lemmings.

boki

Quote from: ASFTSN on June 26, 2018, 01:57:28 PM
They were for the first one at least weren't they?
Indeed, and the Saturn version of Wipeout 2097 also had a soundtrack fully composed by Cold Storage, whereas the PS1 release just had a couple of his tracks amidst the licensed tunes.

the

I have the Wipeout 2097 album (ie. the licenced tracks).

As a snapshot of time (yes it even has the word 'Electronica' on the cover), it's a lovely package to have - nice graphics, nice blurbs, nice selection.

Plus I suspect it's the only released instance of full versions of FSOL's We Have Explosive (original and Herd Killing version). The latter being a particular barnstorming favourite of mine.

Neomod

Racing along the beach on a scooter to Steppin Out in Vice City was a real moment but a favourite has to be in Saints Row 2. UPC Allstars Don't Get Discouraged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lId8Aw5Fnlw

buzby

Quote from: bushwick on June 26, 2018, 01:31:05 PM
In the case of Fluke's Atom Bomb on the 2097 soundtrack, it was written specifically for the game (with lyrics about Arial Tetsuo from the Auricom team) and was released as a single to promote it.

Brundle-Fly

the

Quote from: buzby on June 29, 2018, 11:41:05 AMIn the case of Fluke's Atom Bomb on the 2097 soundtrack, it was written specifically for the game (with lyrics about Arial Tetsuo from the Auricom team) and was released as a single to promote it.

Despite my warm comments about the Wipeout 2097 soundtrack above, I'd like to clarify that I've always found Atom Bomb (and Fluke) atrocious. Just felt compelled to tidy that up