Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 10:12:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Authentocrats

Started by Mark Steels Stockbroker, June 24, 2018, 08:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Authentocrats

http://www.repeaterbooks.com/product/authentocrats

The latest instalment for fans of The Quietus, Novara FM.

Funcrusher

I can't help but feel that this sort of thing is part of the problem:

Authentocrats examines this populism of the centre... (as exemplified in the brute masculinity of Daniel Craig's James Bond, the allegedly "progressive" patriotism of nature writing....)

buttgammon

That book cover is both anatomically incorrect and hilarious.

Famous Mortimer

"We are entering, we are told..."

I don't think there should be weasel words in the first sentence of your own blurb. Are we entering this age or not?

Funcrusher

Not hugely surprised to discover this guy lives in Brighton.

Fambo Number Mive

He says that the idea of the nation state no longer exists to globalism, not convinced about this. Globalism hasn't stopped Scandinavian countries having strong public services.

QuoteThat post-war social democracy was a leavener in Britain, but we can't think in nativist terms anymore. You have to think globally. There's a naivety of people within Corbynism – Corbynism's Authentocrats, if you like – who think we can have a one state solution. Globalisation is a fact which can't be reversed. We can never go back to the nation-state as the primary unit in politics.

marquis_de_sad

QuoteWe can never go back to the nation-state as the primary unit in politics.

A lot of people say this sort of thing, don't they? Can't help but feel they're not very familiar with how globalised the world was before the 20th century, or how important multi-national corporations were even (or especially) during the era of high imperialism.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on July 25, 2018, 11:22:06 PM
A lot of people say this sort of thing, don't they? Can't help but feel they're not very familiar with how globalised the world was before the 20th century, or how important multi-national corporations were even (or especially) during the era of high imperialism.

Yeah, although they'd hate the suggestion, they could learn something from Niall Ferguson, who at least is aware that globalism has been in and out of fashion over the past 150 years.