Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:32:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Once Upon a Time...Man

Started by im barry bethel, June 24, 2018, 09:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

im barry bethel

The World Cup thread has thrown up some memories of this, perhaps (like me) an image is the trigger to jogging your memory

I thought I'd be the only one this stuck with but it seems to have struck a memory chord, any more reminisces? further clearing of the mist?

kalowski

I loved it as a kid, especially the way the same characters made their way through history.

Good read here: http://activehistory.ca/2015/09/history-for-children-watching-once-upon-a-time-man-as-an-adult-in-the-21st-century/

mothman

If you want something a bit more intellectual, Kim Stanley Robinson's The Years Of Rice And Salt could be considered a highbrow version of OUAT...M's band of people reoccurring through time. Albeit in an alternate universe where Europe was utterly obliterated by the Black Death and human history becomes dominated by Islam and China.

Phil_A

First season of this is free on Amazon Prime at the moment(but not the other six seasons).

I didn't know there were any series after the first 3(Man, Space and Life), but apparently they made three more during the nineties and the last one was in 2008! That's nothing if not ambitious.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

I had the videos of Once Upon a Time...Life as a child, which was the same character types but in the human body (that beardy man was the brain, I think, the gladiator bloke was a virus, the guy with the helmet was a...white blood cell?). It even had an episode about sex and had naked people kissing in the opening credits, very raunchy, but it was French I suppose.

kidsick5000

Along with Viki the Viking, this was the other Euro cartoon with the shocking displays of genitalia.

I remember the show and the stock characters going through the ages.

I'm not sure they were shown in order though - possibly my faulty memory - because it would flit around eras including a few set in space of the future