Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:49:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"The living embodiment of global Britain"

Started by Fambo Number Mive, June 25, 2018, 11:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

Quote from: Funcrusher on June 25, 2018, 01:45:55 PM
Not really getting which side you're coming down on here. Could you elaborate?
Is this a character?

Funcrusher

Quote from: Zetetic on June 25, 2018, 01:56:52 PM
Is this a character?

No. I'm just curious. Your mini rant was intriguing but I genuinely don't know what position you're taking. I never read any Brexit threads as it's too depressing.

pigamus

Cuellar

Shoulders?-Stomach!

"Sorry, meant to say pustule-faced worm, cheers"

Shoulders?-Stomach!

"Sorry, meant to say living acridge of self-serving wank"

Fabian Thomsett

Quote from: Zetetic on June 25, 2018, 01:40:34 PM
Thank god we're washing our hands of it then, right?

I didn't say that. It's just bizarre reading all this stuff about Leavers being racist when the EU are literally letting people drown in the Med and headbanging Remainers are just handwaving it away or maybe just aren't aware it's going on?

I don't think it's a good idea to Leave but I'm not exactly happy being part of it, either.

BlodwynPig

I for one am fully behind our Government and the excellent job Theresa May and Boris Johnson are doing with the difficult task of Brexit negotiations.

With England doing well in the sport, I expect this summer to be a glorious time for our nation and one that will bind our people together in shared feelings of patriotism, unity and pride.

God save our Queen.

Funcrusher

Zetetic

Quote from: Funcrusher on June 25, 2018, 01:59:52 PM
No. I'm just curious. Your mini rant was intriguing but I genuinely don't know what position you're taking. I never read any Brexit threads as it's too depressing.
I think it's a reasonable point that dismissing all Leavers as thick SEND THEM BACK racists to their faces would be counterproductive, and that doing so persistently in private limits understanding. I think it's a bit misplaced to have a go at people doing so intermittently in a thread on a comedy forum where they're doing it part to manage their feelings of betrayal and being threatened - in some cases very practically and directly, first or secondhand - by those who voted for us to Leave the EU, or in response to the standard trolling.

I now find it hilarious that Theresa May has done much the same thing but as a crass attempt to appeal to the same people rather than as a cheap insult, as a side effect of trying to vaguely dismiss the lack of coherence and principle in her government.

Cuellar

Quote from: Fabian Thomsett on June 25, 2018, 02:10:46 PM
I didn't say that. It's just bizarre reading all this stuff about Leavers being racist when the EU are literally letting people drown in the Med and headbanging Remainers are just handwaving it away or maybe just aren't aware it's going on?

I don't think it's a good idea to Leave but I'm not exactly happy being part of it, either.

Aren't the Italians letting them drown, and the Spanish taking them in? So 'the EU' is both letting them drown and saving them.

Schrodinger's Immigrant.

Alberon

Oh the EU needs a fuckload of reforms, certainly, but in the end it represents the individual countries that comprise it. It really doesn't rule them.

But anyway, this isn't a thread about Brexit, but about a colossal wanker of a person whose only interest in the referendum was how close it could get him to number 10.

Dr Trouser

ok, just to add some balance to this - I've met him once in a work capacity and he came across as ok, on top of his brief and happy to listen, seemed very bright. Mind you we weren't discussing foreigners and/or brexit or runways.

His brother however is thick as a draw of fucking spoons, annoying and patronising. Given the option of 1 bullet - 2 johnsons (steady lads!) Jo would get it.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Dr Trouser on June 25, 2018, 02:17:50 PM
ok, just to add some balance to this - I've met him once in a work capacity and he came across as ok, on top of his brief and happy to listen, seemed very bright

...and surprisingly funny

Funcrusher

So, on digging into the context of this, it seems to be a dig at Johnson for flyiing off to Afghanistan to avoid voting on Heathrow - questioning his Little Englander credentials for flying off like a globalist to avoid a local issue that he supposedly cares about.

Zetetic

It's not so much a dig, but an attempt to excuse both 1) that May can't get him to actually show Cabinet unity and 2) he won't actually vote against it as he'd often suggested he would.

It's a throwaway comment intended to show the most limited effort to save some face for both parties.

I grant that it's hard to tell because it appears such a stupid and vacuous comment.

Danger Man

Which one of you told Zetetic about irony?

Captain Z

The living embodiment of sheer ineptitude

Is the nicest way I could think of describing Theresa May.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Zetetic on June 25, 2018, 02:35:03 PM
It's not so much a dig, but an attempt to excuse both 1) that May can't get him to actually show Cabinet unity and 2) he won't actually vote against it as he'd often suggested he would.

It's a throwaway comment intended to show the most limited effort to save some face for both parties.

I grant that it's hard to tell because it appears such a stupid and vacuous comment.

I would happily see both May and Johnson fired into space, so I'm not praising what she said, but it does seem to me to be putting in a jab about Johnson acting like a globalist - she has to maintain the appearance of unity, but she hates his guts and knows he will stab her in the back at any opportunity.

I'm against writing off all Leavers (or all Trump voters) as rabid fascists because many have just been ill steered by the right and poorly served by the left. That said, Johnson has nothing to do with them - he is not ideologically anti-Brexit, his only belief in in his own superiority and inevitable destiny to be PM. It wouldn't surprise me if he voted remain in the privacy of the voting booth - he saw siding with the Leave side as a win-win, appeal to leave voters but then remain wins so remain voters won't care. You could see the shell shock in his eyes after the vote, and now he has to pledge allegiance to Brexit.

Zetetic

QuoteJohnson has nothing to do with them
No, he does a bit, being a major spokesman before, during and now after for that cause and seeking to use that cause to promote himself (for the reasons you outline).

We can't keep pretending that Leaving the EU has nothing to do with the campaigns to do so, and the people now charged with implementation or those now most publicly championing it.

slicesofjim

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44594439

Johnson dodges Heathrow vote. He could take a dump on the cabinet table and smush it in May's face and he wouldn't lose his job.

Alberon

I love how Johnson's attempt at an easy way out of any criticism for voting for the Heathrow Expansion by dodging the debate has backfired beautifully.

He could have just said 'circumstances have changed' and carried on to mild criticism, but now he's getting dragged over the coals by all sides. I think it's something Leavers and Remainers can unite on.

dallasman

Quote from: Funcrusher on June 25, 2018, 01:59:52 PM
I never read any Brexit threads as it's too depressing.

Oh, you absolutely should.

Quote from: Bhazor on June 11, 2018, 10:22:19 AM
Look at Biggy
Quote from: TrenterPercenter on June 11, 2018, 10:43:03 AM
Biggy
Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on June 11, 2018, 10:54:17 AM
Biggy
Quote from: Soup on June 11, 2018, 11:06:45 AM
Biggy
Quote from: Paul Calf on June 11, 2018, 12:24:39 PM
Biggy's playing
Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 11, 2018, 10:22:54 PM
biggy is sitting
Quote from: pigamus on June 12, 2018, 03:34:04 PM
Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on June 20, 2018, 07:08:52 AM

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on June 22, 2018, 06:20:16 PM

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 22, 2018, 09:45:51 PM
Ignoring him is an option.
Quote from: Phil_A on June 23, 2018, 09:30:03 AM
Paulie?
Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on June 23, 2018, 10:51:03 AM
biggy
Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on June 23, 2018, 01:35:41 PM

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on June 23, 2018, 01:40:22 PM
Yeah Paulie
Quote from: jobotic on June 23, 2018, 04:39:25 PM
Paulie.
Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on June 23, 2018, 05:35:58 PM
Paulie and biggy
Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on June 23, 2018, 07:26:19 PM
triggered
Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on June 23, 2018, 09:37:07 PM
Paulie and biggy will be erect
Quote from: jobotic on June 24, 2018, 08:20:32 AM
Paulie
Quote from: jobotic on June 24, 2018, 08:34:07 AM
Paulie
Quote from: jobotic on June 24, 2018, 09:02:13 AM
a second Paulie
Quote from: biggytitbo on June 25, 2018, 08:56:40 AM
We can vote the tories out
Quote from: jobotic on June 25, 2018, 09:21:04 AM
You're just another Paulie.

Sorry for shitpost. That's not an accurate portrayal at all, just a little brainfart that tickled me while I was waiting for the game to start.
And post!

Theremin

Quote from: Alberon on June 25, 2018, 02:15:38 PM
Oh the EU needs a fuckload of reforms, certainly, but in the end it represents the individual countries that comprise it. It really doesn't rule them.

But anyway, this isn't a thread about Brexit, but about a colossal wanker of a person whose only interest in the referendum was how close it could get him to number 10.

/Thread

Regardless of how we feel about the minutiae of EU policy, I think we can all agree that Boris Johnson should be skinned alive - then the resultant howling floppy sack used as a Lifeboat to save Syrians from drowning.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Zetetic on June 25, 2018, 03:09:15 PM
No, he does a bit, being a major spokesman before, during and now after for that cause and seeking to use that cause to promote himself (for the reasons you outline).

He has to do with them but is unlike them in that he has no principles or values of any kind, just an utter devotion to advancing his own career.

Quote from: Zetetic on June 25, 2018, 03:09:15 PM

We can't keep pretending that Leaving the EU has nothing to do with the campaigns to do so, and the people now charged with implementation or those now most publicly championing it.

Many of those involved in the campaign, like Farage, have largely fucked off now that the practical reality of Brexit has to be attended to. They gave two fingers to the krauts, frogs, wops and dagos and that was as far as the plan went.

Leaving the EU has a lot to do with a disenfranchised mass trying to vote against the status quo and cutting their own throats in the process due to low information. And thirty years of anti-European propaganda by Dacre, Murdoch and others.

Replies From View

Zetetic

Leaving the EU has a lot to do with a disenfranchised mass trying to vote against the status quo and cutting their own throats in the process due to low information. And thirty years of anti-European propaganda by Dacre, Murdoch and others.
I'd entirely agree with this, but I'd note that the rhetoric of the campaign and the decades of propaganda (and more widely neglect of the EU process) were in lockstep.

(Johnson, of course, appearing in both the campaign and previously as an anti-European propagandist.)

Theremin

Spot on.

Hunter S. Thompson's book on Hell's Angels is quite prescient on this subject, and modern right-wing protest movements in general.

Slightly evangelical article on it:

https://www.thenation.com/article/this-political-theorist-predicted-the-rise-of-trumpism-his-name-was-hunter-s-thompson/

Funcrusher

Quote from: Zetetic on June 25, 2018, 04:00:27 PM
I'd entirely agree with this, but I'd note that the rhetoric of the campaign and the decades of propaganda (and more widely neglect of the EU process) were in lockstep.

(Johnson, of course, appearing in both the campaign and previously as an anti-European propagandist.)

Both Brexit and Trump were the result of things that had been brewing in the background for a very long time - both campaigns succeeded because they were in the right place at the right time, any delusions of competency they may have are just that in my view.

Zetetic

I think that's getting away from the point - not that the campaigns were particularly effective in themselves (and I've already agreed that they depended on the decades of setup), but that by voting with them at that time you were inevitably endorsing the views set out in them and those setting them out (and giving a mandate to those liable to be in government to respond to these).

Which is what is happening. And so, Johnson does now represent Leavers - he is one of their most prominent representatives (even as many of them come to despise him).

People don't get to choose what their vote meant, other than by recognising how it would be interpreted, by looking at the context in which it would be cast. (As is the case with all such acts of course, except that in this case it's even harder for voters to explain themselves after the fact.)