Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:57:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

World Cup 2018 #3 - Ronald's Revenge

Started by DrGreggles, June 25, 2018, 09:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

imitationleather

Don't worry, Iran were eliminated at the group stage in 1998 before going on to lift the World Cup.

rue the polywhirl

I'm afraid this thread you've just started will have to be reviewed by VAR before it is allowed to commence.

itsfredtitmus

more wonderful VAR decisions like that please

Mr Eggs

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 25, 2018, 09:30:32 PM
Before we get told off...

When Pokémon Go introduces VAR. Then he tells us off.

colacentral

Denmark v France tomorrow. Fancy Denmark there. Would plump for Australia, Nigeria and Croatia too.

imitationleather

Quote from: colacentral on June 25, 2018, 09:40:10 PM
Denmark v France tomorrow. Fancy Denmark there. Would plump for Australia, Nigeria and Croatia too.

Yeah I think you could be right here. Nigeria look capable enough to get at least a point against Argentina.

Mr Eggs

kalowski

Why is no-one in Eastenders interested in the world cup?

The Culture Bunker

Quite amusing some of the stuff I'm seeing from Iran, people in the streets celebrating like they've won the World Cup.

Emma Raducanu

I'll miss the Iranian women in the crowd. Beautiful, even when crying. Which is how I like them.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: DolphinFace on June 25, 2018, 10:34:26 PM
I'll miss the Iranian women in the crowd. Beautiful, even when crying. Which is how I like them.
All censored out in the Iranian broadcasts, you'll be amused to know.

kalowski

Watching the ITV highlights. Fuck off, Clive. Apparently saving a Cristiano Ronaldo penalty is a boyhood dream of a young goalkeeper on the streets of Tehran.

Mr Eggs

Quote from: kalowski on June 25, 2018, 11:08:25 PM
Watching the ITV highlights. Fuck off, Clive. Apparently saving a Cristiano Ronaldo penalty is a boyhood dream of a young goalkeeper on the streets of Tehran.

I think its a roboclive.

wosl

Trojan_Jockey

Can somebody tell me when throwing pints into the air after England score became THE way to celebrate a goal? It seems like every clip of a celebratory crowd in a pub somewhere now features scores of plastic pint glasses, full of lager, being hurled with high velocity into the sky. I'm suspicious that responding to a 6th goal against Panana in such a way betrays the fact these 'proper lads' may be overly conscious of being with their mates and, in wanting to look like they are 110% England till they die, have discovered that throwing away your beer is the best way to demonstrate that you love the three lions more than anything in the world (even though they've never heard of that Trippier bloke).

Or is it just a young man's game, and its now impossible for a middle aged man like me to imagine the genuine joy these lads are getting from football?

Mr Eggs

Beagle 2

I remember getting soaked with beer in a  square with a big screen in Leeds in 2006 when Paraguay scored an own goal in a standard one to nothing turd of a game. People then started singing "no surrender to the IRA", who were of course massive in Paraguay at the time.

I hate Leeds.

EOLAN

My big observation is that Spain like to may Chuckle Brothers style football. To me, to you, to me, to you, to who.... Oh he just broke away to score.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: kalowski on June 25, 2018, 11:08:25 PM

sounds like Clive, isn't Clive, but nicking Clive's lines
https://youtu.be/JlPIrEKFCeo?t=56

Ferris

Ronaldo should have gone off.

Aspa's goal was offside.

The Germans, Brazilians, and Uruguayans should already be on a plane home.

I am in a right fluffery-buffery over this World Cup.

kalowski

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 26, 2018, 12:12:57 AM

You're right. Some sort of Cornish Clive.

GMTV

The tactics with VAR will now just tend towards move into the box and draw a foul, as there is a high chance of getting a penalty. Statistically probably more chance of scoring from drawing a foul and getting a penalty than shooting. Or maybe it's the way it's been used at the moment where the refs seem to be saying if in doubt give a penalty, whereas the opposite was true previously

im barry bethel

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 26, 2018, 12:12:57 AM

Thought it sounded like Paul Dempsey for a minute then changed my mind

George Oscar Bluth II

Challenging VAR opinion: The Ronalado incident wasn't even a yellow and the Iran penalty wasn't a penalty.

EOLAN

By the way, while the Spanish equaliser was clearly (or just about) on-side, has there been any clarification on whether the ball went out for a goal-kick in the lead up to the play that led to the corner. They were just showing the replay to clarify as the corner was taken. Obviously not a VAR reviewable incident.

Neville Chamberlain

Ronaldo's got a massive Adam's apple.

undeliberated

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on June 26, 2018, 10:07:12 AM
Ronaldo's got a massive Adam's apple.

He has a long neck and a tiny head, such that the latter can't be distinguished from the former. He looks like earthworm jim.