Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:52:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

World Cup 2018 #3 - Ronald's Revenge

Started by DrGreggles, June 25, 2018, 09:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 26, 2018, 04:38:04 AM
Ronaldo should have gone off.

Arguably wasn't even a foul. The idea that the ref viewed in five times and thought it was a booking was mad, let alone anyone saying it was a red.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Watch it again and look at the path the players are running before contact. The Iran player clearly was obstructing Ronaldo's path, meanwhile Ronaldo's path didn't change course. Ronaldo's arm was moving upwards as is normal in a running motion but there was no attempt to avoid whacking the guy on the chin, so that was clever/sly. I'd agree with the yellow, thought it was spot on as there was some ambiguity but arguably some reckless play too. VAR is a welcome sight, they just need to tweak the whole process so as to avoid the minutes of faffing about, along with bellend diva refereeing.

Ferris

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 26, 2018, 12:55:32 PM
Arguably wasn't even a foul. The idea that the ref viewed in five times and thought it was a booking was mad, let alone anyone saying it was a red.

I just can't stand 'naldo

Fry

Quote from: undeliberated on June 26, 2018, 11:20:34 AM
He has a long neck and a tiny head, such that the latter can't be distinguished from the former. He looks like earthworm jim.

Lol.

Forgot there wasn't a game on at 1 any more. I came to the pub and got a beer for nothing.

Well, not nothing, to avoid work.  But still, only option is to sit here till 3 I suppose.

monolith

There's an argument that it shouldn't have been a foul but the stronger argument is for a sending off due to it be Ronald.

Cuellar

If Peru don't win this I'm going to kill myself.

not really

greenman

Quote from: GMTV on June 26, 2018, 07:02:26 AM
The tactics with VAR will now just tend towards move into the box and draw a foul, as there is a high chance of getting a penalty. Statistically probably more chance of scoring from drawing a foul and getting a penalty than shooting. Or maybe it's the way it's been used at the moment where the refs seem to be saying if in doubt give a penalty, whereas the opposite was true previously

Its arguably showing that current reffing standards are based somewhat on refs having to be a bit more cautious only viewing incidents live and are too stringent when using VAR although equally it seems as much to me that for some reason there applying entirely different standards with VAR.

DrGreggles

Having watched it again, the elbow-to-defender motion by Ronald was entirely deliberate.
Not accidental or natural.
He got lucky there if you ask me.

But I doubt that FIFA want any of the 'stars' to be sent off, hence the yellow.

Cuellar

Quote from: GMTV on June 26, 2018, 07:02:26 AM
The tactics with VAR will now just tend towards move into the box and draw a foul

That's always been a tactic though, hasn't it? Number of times you see players getting tackled and stumble but stay on their feet in the run to the box, then the slightest touch in the box brings them crashing down.

BlodwynPig

which channel is the nailed on first 0-0 of the tournament on?

chveik

massive bereavement

Not expecting any excitement this afternoon, this group appears to be done and dusted. Looking at the 3 team group format for 2026, that could potentially avoid a lot more meaningless matches than the present format.

Captain Z

Tried before but asking again - what's that piece of music that plays after the anthems? Every match the teams walk out to 'Seven Nation Army', then it's the anthems, then there's always a sinister-sounding piece of electronic music...

im barry bethel

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 26, 2018, 02:38:49 PM

National Geographic HD+1

massive bereavement

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 26, 2018, 02:38:49 PM

ITV with Clive and Hoddle.

massive bereavement

If there's a VAR pen in this, I'm going to have to post something unpleasant.

Captain Z

QuotePogba has not gone with a coloured haircut in this World Cup, he has gone with a normal style because he wants his football to do the talking.

And how's that working out so far Paul...

gmoney

BlodwynPig

Again lazy France....useless. Braithwaite looks good

massive bereavement

Quote from: Captain Z on June 26, 2018, 02:59:17 PM
Tried before but asking again - what's that piece of music that plays after the anthems? Every match the teams walk out to 'Seven Nation Army', then it's the anthems, then there's always a sinister-sounding piece of electronic music...

Remind us to listen out for it before the Argentina match starts tonight.

im barry bethel

Quote from: Captain Z on June 26, 2018, 02:59:17 PM

Quote from: massive bereavement on June 26, 2018, 03:12:53 PM
Remind us to listen out for it before the Argentina match starts tonight.

Yeah the trouble with the ITV's is they found a way to shoehorn a bookies shil between the anthems and kick off

BlodwynPig

Hernandez is probably my least favourite player...cheating cunt

Cuellar

dallasman

OK, you guys are on top of this: What needs to happen for Denmark to go through? Peru scoring is good, right?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: dallasman on June 26, 2018, 03:19:23 PM
OK, you guys are on top of this: What needs to happen for Denmark to go through? Peru scoring is good, right?

yes

im barry bethel

DrGreggles

Peru should get bonus points. For some reason.

wosl

Something off about the French away kit; either the blue of the shorts needs to be a touch lighter, or the ensemble as a whole needs more red detailing.

im barry bethel

This is dirge, where do I find ITV 4

dallasman

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 26, 2018, 03:21:10 PM
yes

I figured as much. So, if nothing changes from this moment on, are Denmark through, or do they need a win here? The commentators must've spent a lot of time on this before I tuned in, because they're acting as if I'm supposed to know. I don't, and the news sites won't let me look at the tables without turning my browser into an arcade game.