Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:39:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Should I buy this laptop, and if I do will it run Linux?

Started by Ambient Sheep, June 26, 2018, 07:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Hello everybody,

My local pawn-shop/reseller type place has the following second-hand laptop in the window:

Type: HP Pavilion
Model number: HP15-P217NA
CPU: i5-5200U
12GB RAM
2TB HDD
DVD-RW
15" screen
Beats Audio
Full-size keyboard with number pad
Windows 10
24 month guarantee

£335

The HP website adds these details:
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c04742232

Product Number: L0E04EA
Microprocessor: Intel Core i5-5200U with Intel HD Graphics 5500 (2.2 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)
Memory: 12 GB DDR3L-1600 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB, 1 x 8 GB)
Hard Drive: 2TB 5400 rpm SATA
Multimedia Drive: SuperMulti DVD burner
Display: 39.6 cm (15.6") diagonal HD BrightView WLED-backlit (1366 x 768)
1 multi-format SD media card reader
1 HDMI
1 headphone/microphone combo
1 USB 2.0
2 USB 3.0
1 RJ-45
Dimensions: 38.45 x 26.02 x 2.39 cm
Weight: 2.27 kg
HP TrueVision HD Webcam (front-facing) with integrated dual array digital microphone
OS was originally Windows 8.1.

(There's more if you click through but that seems like the most relevant stuff.)

It looks in seemingly-good condition.

The specs seem half-decent to my rather out-of-touch brain (apart from the screen not being true HD) but despite Googling I haven't been able to find out much more.  Most reviews, articles, etc., of which there are few, seem to deal with the HP15-Axxx models which seem to be mostly AMD-based, I guess the clue is in the "A". :-)

Not quite sure of the age of it but I've found Gumtree ads for them new and boxed in 2015; perhaps not coincidentally that was also the year they were replaced by a newer model with B&O sound.  A review of an AMD version was dated 2013, so it's probably 3 to 5 years old.

I was immediately taken by the number pad and DVD drive, things that seem increasingly rare in cheap new laptops these days whenever I've gawped in PC World or bloody Tesco.  Those plus the i5 and generous RAM for the price nearly made me buy it on the spot but I'm trying to be sensible.

However the HP name gives me pause as the ones about 10-15 years ago were deeply shitty... overheating a lot and when the overworked fan died you found you had to take the whole machine apart -- including removing the screen!! -- just to change it.  (Found a video for one of the AMD ones that shows it not to be that bad but don't know how relevant it is to the Intel model and you still had to prise the rubber feet off just to get to the fecking screws!!... and then take the whole back off!  No nice individual hatch covers like my old Acer used to have.)

In an ideal world I would be getting something a bit nicer but it's not an ideal world and to be honest even £335 is going to be a massive stretch for me right now and I worry how I will manage, but after a year without a laptop I can't cope any more especially with wanting to restart my freelance career.

Am not needing to do SERIOUSLY intensive work on it... mainly writing, spreadsheets, coding; gaming would be nice but not into all the latest shit anyway.  Some video editing would be nice but only occasionally and just home movie type stuff, no epic productions.

However the main thing is, I would really like to run Linux on it, probably Mint, dual-booted.  Any idea how easy or not that might be with this one?  Again, Google not overly helpful.

So should I go on gut instinct and grab this seeming bargain, if indeed that's what it is?  Or not touch it with Linus Torvalds' bargepole?  And if not, is there anything else in that price range that might do me, given that I want a number pad and optical drive and don't want an i3?

Your input would be much appreciated.

Cerys

NoSleep

That's what I was thinking. WB (again) Sheepy.

I remember my brother talking about a seeming bargain of a laptop that he soon found had been "enhanced for MS"; i.e. it couldn't run Linux. I'll see if he can provide any joy on your quest.

Captain Z

All I can say is that the last laptop I bought was an HP and it is literally unusable for me. Horribly plastic-feeling, bad sound, hate Windows 8 and above. I tried to put Windows 7 on it, they now make it almost impossible to remove the factory installed OS unless you're a serious computer nerd. Eventually (several weeks of giving up and then refusing to accept it was not possible) I got it done bar one or two drivers, and within hours I got a pop up message that the procesor was not compatible with this version of windows. I now use it only for streaming movies onto my TV and went back to my old Asus.

Zetetic

What tends to be broken on normal laptops these days under Linux?

I'd guess it's worth checking the WiFi card, the sound and the graphics for support.

NoSleep

My brother says, "If it originally had windows 8.1 on it then it's certainly looking old enough to be able to.  Easiest way to be sure is to take a Linux mint live CD into the shop and boot it up with it."

gib

Hey look, one of the good posters is back, nice one.

Uncle TechTip

I'd say it looks good and will fulfill your needs, although it's fairly priced for the shop, it's by no means a bargain. Is the shop underwriting the guarantee? That's a reassuring warranty but you'd want to know how they'd intend to replace it, with another less good one they happen to have in stock? If it's a year down the line you might not get full value.

The advice to try a live CD is good, but being a pawn shop, don't be surprised if they look at you askew, they might think you're trying to hack it. Maybe you can get them to agree that you can return it after a week in full if it doesn't meet your exact needs. And so good to see you back. I hope you get it so you will post more.

Small Man Big Horse

Alas I'm not knowledgeable about these sort of things but just wanted to also say how good it is to see you back here.

the

Ditto. The bleat is strong (and awash with reverb)

Sherman Krank

It's massively over priced for a four year old laptop that wasn't very good when it was new.
CPU benchmarks at 3491 (current gen i5's are around 8000-10000).
Current second hand value for one of these laptops is around £50-100.

You could try giving Wilbur a PM as he's the person here who'll give you the best advice on what to look for and how much you should be paying.

Cloud

Consensus I've seen recently on the bargain second hand laptop front is refurbished Thinkpads on eBay.  Look for T4x0 and T5x0 dependent on how important 15" is over 14".  Should be no issues running Linux on those.

UEFI isn't a barrier with any modern distro.  Even secure boot isn't always a show stopper as they use shim.efi and a signed loader but usually you can turn it off.

The 'x' is 2 for a 2012 model, 3 for 2013 etc.

IMO, avoid the 2014 version (T440, T540) as they made the trackpad all icky to use.  Go 2012 if you prefer a classic keyboard layout with dedicated home and end keys, they're getting on a little bit now but still fine for Linux.

Sebastian Cobb

I got a refurbed x230 (ex BT stock it would seem) off of ebay and lobbed an ssd in it and it runs great.

Currently running OSX but have dual booted windows and various linux distributions.

canadagoose

I second (third?) the ThinkPad recommendation. I had a T420 for a couple of years, and it had a lovely keyboard and ran very smoothly, despite being made in 2011 (I think it might be an exception to Cloud's rule). I'm actually selling mine now, but you won't want it because it's knackered. Generally, though, with the exception of mine, they last very well. I actually use a T420 at work as my main computer, and it's literally been used 24/7 for years without issue.

A T430 with Linux should be a very usable experience, IMO.

Edit: And of course - welcome back, Sheepy! So glad to see you posting again :)

Cloud

The years are more of a rule of thumb, haven't checked the release dates in fine detail.  I know the 70s seemed to come out last year and 80s this year etc.  If anything they're often late here, you watch them come out in the US and then watch as months go by with old stock in the UK...

Ambient Sheep

Thank you so much for all your kind words and replies.

I'm sorry that I've not written back before now, and indeed many of your kind words deserve individual responses, but the sad fact is that alas the bleat is NOT strong, not strong at all these days, and after that one strong day I had, I simply haven't been able to face it again since.

Still can't really but I'm here because I was alerted to this so thought I'd better dust off the Sheepmobile and cape to see if I could help her (although fuck knows how) and while I'm logged-in thought I'd best reply to all you lovely people too.

I did however lurk a few days after posting and so didn't buy that laptop.

I shall keep you posted when I'm able; that's if anyone gives a fuck about my laptop adventures.

Be well.