Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:16:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Where do I start with King Crimson?

Started by Monsieur Verdoux, June 26, 2018, 03:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on June 28, 2018, 04:13:42 AM
with muir (yes, frank's son)

Same name, totally different person (i.e. not Frank's son).

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: jobotic on June 28, 2018, 09:51:56 AM
As discussed before, I love GG&F. Is there any KC that sounds anything like this?

Not much.  The odd track on the first four albums, like Indoor Games on Lizard for example, but once GGF (which was the Giles brothers' band) split, Fripp wanted his own unit to do stuff that had a rawer edge to it (I seem to remember reading an interview where he said that the GGF stuff was "too twee and whimsical", or something, for his taste and only took the job because it paid quite well).

The McDonald and Giles album might tick some boxes for you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMff9CM7yPU

jobotic

Yeah got that, thanks though.

I like the twee and whimsical part of GG&F - and Fripp's jazz guitar.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 27, 2018, 10:41:58 PM
If you can track it down, I heartily recommend the live recording of their Mainz show in 1974, an absolutely blinding performance - probably one of the best in the band's entire history - and Starless is jaw-droppingly good. 

They did a "collectors' club" series of live / rehearsal / session releases, and Mainz 1974 is vol. 15 of them (there's 46 volumes, so quite a lot of good stuff to listen to). Or it's vol.1 of "The Collectable King Crimson".

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 28, 2018, 11:46:06 AM
They did a "collectors' club" series of live / rehearsal / session releases, and Mainz 1974 is vol. 15 of them (there's 46 volumes, so quite a lot of good stuff to listen to).

Yep, that's the one.

There's a full audience recording of the same show and it's such a shame the (soundboard recorded) CC release runs out just as they go into Fracture, as the rest of the show, even from a dodgy bootleg, sounded just as good as the portion that was properly recorded.

Famous Mortimer

I thought I had most of their releases, but for some reason never bothered looking up what I didn't own. Like, there's this, 20-odd CDs worth of music from their "Starless" lineup - their other "classic" albums have been given a similar treatment. I feel like a collector who's walked into a shop to buy the new album from his favourite band, only to be shown a back room full of things I'd never heard of (although, I can't buy them either - the "Starless" thing is like £100 so balls to that).

Shit Good Nose

I know, it's amazing.  For years there was nothing bar the officially released stuff and one or two dreadful audience recordings, and then all of sudden entire tours turn up with a wealth of stuff from the soundboard.  It got a little bit like being a Grateful Dead fan for a while there, although stuff is starting to thin out now

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: jobotic on June 28, 2018, 09:51:56 AM
As discussed before, I love GG&F. Is there any KC that sounds anything like this?
You're best just buying stackridge's entire discography

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 28, 2018, 09:02:22 AM
Same name, totally different person (i.e. not Frank's son).

you know, I've been carrying that mis-info around with me for over thirty years. a quick google & it's clearly not the same bloke at all.

fuck my old hat.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 06, 2018, 03:38:36 PM
...have you got a new one instead?

well, is it "fuck my hat!" or "fuck my old boots!" or "well, I'll go to the top of our stairs!" or what?

jobotic

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on June 30, 2018, 09:02:15 AM
You're best just buying stackridge's entire discography

Ta. Will look them up later.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 07, 2018, 01:21:38 AM
well, is it "fuck my hat!" or "fuck my old boots!" or "well, I'll go to the top of our stairs!" or what?

Well I'll go to the bottom of the garden.

Quote from: jobotic on July 07, 2018, 09:37:33 AM
Ta. Will look them up later.

Stackridge are light folkies/pop and NOTHING like KC in any iteration. I think fred is teasing...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 07, 2018, 07:04:30 PM
Well I'll go to the bottom of the garden.

Stackridge are light folkies/pop and NOTHING like KC in any iteration. I think fred is teasing...

How about Cochise ;)

Shit Good Nose

I had the album with boobs which I bought from the larger Our Price shop in Bristol in 88/89, and there were modesty stickers on each nip.  I tried the prise them off (cos I was 10 - boobs, fnarr) but it started to rip the album cover so I stopped.  Those stickers never came off.  It was only a few years later when I was starting to get into Procol Harum that I clocked Mick Grabham.

Shit album.  Shit band.(*)  But boobs.

(*) Mind you, I've not listened to the album or anything else by them for about 25 years.

jobotic

I don't know what to think now.

I'm going to look them up anyway. I liked the description I read of their third album.

BlodwynPig

You should check out this (expanded re-release) classic early 70s UA/Liberty compilation

The Neutrons (I think Man-related, definitely Welsh) are a band that are well worth checking-out. Just 2 albums, but both top-notch.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: jobotic on July 07, 2018, 10:22:40 PM
I don't know what to think now.

I'm going to look them up anyway. I liked the description I read of their third album.

Don't get me wrong - Stackridge have their place (and, as a Bristol band, local to me and I've seen them live countless times), but they basically spent the first 5 or so years of their existence as a pop-rock band that dabbled (and I mean dabbled - don't let the Wiki entry about them fool you) on the edges of prog, and then from about 1975 they edged closer and closer to full-on folk.  The last few times I saw them the only electric instrument they were still using was a keyboard, and that was usually on acoustic piano setting.

Shit Good Nose

Saw the mighty Crims in Cardiff last night (in a barely three quarters full St David's Hall).  Breathtakingly good.  I genuinely think this is the best the band has been since 1974, and Fripp is obviously comfortable and having loads of fun with his 9 piece big band.  Jakko Jakszyk seems to have properly settled in now and is admirably doubling up with Fripp a la Adrian Belew.

And last time I saw current "Middle Drumson" Jeremy Stacey, he was playing in High Flying Birds (on TV)...

Anyone else seen or will be seeing them on this tour?