Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:38:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mandy (2018, FFO Beyond the Black Rainbow)

Started by Swoz_MK, June 28, 2018, 09:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swoz_MK

Panos Cosmatos who directed the fucking wonderful Beyond the Black Rainbow is BACK and has brought NIC CAGE with him. And some music that sounds a bit like SunnO)))

Trailer -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI054ow6KJk

Biker fellas look a bit like The Plague from Hobo With A Shotgun, which appeals.

Gregory Torso

Beyond The Black Rainbow was super mega fantastic, black ichor bass chatter and sexy synth throb fantastic. Based on that poster I need to see this.

Nic Cage is a plus too, in my book.

Steven

Quote from: Gregory Torso on June 28, 2018, 12:07:37 PM
Beyond The Black Rainbow was super mega fantastic, black ichor bass chatter and sexy synth throb fantastic. Based on that poster I need to see this.

I need to see it again but wasn't it pretty much coasting off of copying Kubrick's cinematography style/half-implied story which then turns into a shitty teen slasher film by the last third?

Head Gardener

Blumf

I'm intrigued. I loved Black Rainbow, but the slasher ending was a let down. This looks good (visually), but there's some ridiculous stuff in here - e.g. the chainsaw battle - that must need to be done with tongue-in-cheek and I don't know if Cosmatos can do that (Cage can, so maybe a good sign)

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Steven on June 28, 2018, 01:15:40 PM
I need to see it again but wasn't it pretty much coasting off of copying Kubrick's cinematography style/half-implied story which then turns into a shitty teen slasher film by the last third?

Quite possibly. It was very derivative but I still loved it, enjoyed it the same way I enjoy Matthew Barney's Cremaster Cycle, beautiful to look at in abstract, not quite working in bits. I don't know enough about films or art to recognise plagiarism or heavy influences. I just really liked it, and ting.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Steven on June 28, 2018, 01:15:40 PM

last eight I think.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Gregory Torso on June 28, 2018, 02:55:24 PM
Quite possibly. It was very derivative but I still loved it, enjoyed it the same way I enjoy Matthew Barney's Cremaster Cycle, beautiful to look at in abstract, not quite working in bits. I don't know enough about films or art to recognise plagiarism or heavy influences. I just really liked it, and ting.

Derivative of films I haven't seen then. Loved the aesthetics of it.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 28, 2018, 02:57:25 PM
Loved the aesthetics of it.

Yes, it was gorgeous and the soundtrack was amazing.

I don't really remember the "shitty slasher" part of it? It's been a year or so since I saw it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Gregory Torso on June 28, 2018, 03:02:50 PM
Yes, it was gorgeous and the soundtrack was amazing.

I don't really remember the "shitty slasher" part of it? It's been a year or so since I saw it.

it was just the last 10 minutes or so. Almost seemed like a theatre set.

Steven

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 28, 2018, 03:17:29 PM
it was just the last 10 minutes or so. Almost seemed like a theatre set.

As I said I need to watch it again, but it was quite jarring the shift in tone to shitty-80s-teen-slasher.. all that came before was heavily borrowing from Kubrick though, specifically 2001, segments of A Clockwork Orange and The Shining.

I sort of liked it but couldn't tell if Kubrickian-ness was giving a false sense of gravitas to something that was really of little substance, but then, some would argue that about Kubrick's own work.

Blumf

I think it's more that Cosmatos is homaging 70s and 80s films that themselves are in the shadow of Kubrick (think; Saturn 3, Phase IV, and, err, Jackson 5)

Here's a short interview where he mentions Ridley Scott as an influence (which I'm sure will enamour some of you with him even less (I like Black Rain, good sound track))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD00HW9ipSU

Robocop for president!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Steven on June 28, 2018, 06:21:01 PM
As I said I need to watch it again, but it was quite jarring the shift in tone to shitty-80s-teen-slasher.. all that came before was heavily borrowing from Kubrick though, specifically 2001, segments of A Clockwork Orange and The Shining.

I sort of liked it but couldn't tell if Kubrickian-ness was giving a false sense of gravitas to something that was really of little substance, but then, some would argue that about Kubrick's own work.

3 films I haven't seen (fully). I've seen the beginning of 2001, the middle of Clockwork Orange and the ending of the shining.

Steven

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 28, 2018, 11:05:23 PM
I've seen the beginning of 2001, the middle of Clockwork Orange and the ending of the shining.

Alcoholic projectionist?

That might work as a film though. But yeah BTBL is very Kubrick but also other 70s stuff like THX1180, and prolly Tarkovsky.. but I've not seen any of his films yet only some of the cinematography.

Shaky

Black Rainbow looks and sounds amazing but I found it an incredible slog to get through. Lots of slow bits which just don't work, unlike those films Cosmatos is trying to emulate. Like, the parts are there but it couldn't quite figure out how to get them to move together.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shaky on June 29, 2018, 02:26:48 AM
Black Rainbow looks and sounds amazing but I found it an incredible slog to get through. Lots of slow bits which just don't work, unlike those films Cosmatos is trying to emulate. Like, the parts are there but it couldn't quite figure out how to get them to move together.

It has the same pacing/vibe as Sun Choke albeit much more retro-cosmic.

I still think it's funny that Black Rainbow has its villain die by tripping on own his shoelaces and bumping his head on a rock.

If you want proof that they had no idea how to end the film, then there it is.

Chriddof

That was basically what saved the movie for me. Like everyone else I was really let down by the slasher thing, and then that happened and I was fucking howling with laughter. The way the makers of Black Rainbow were ballsy / desperate enough to pretty much have a man tripping over as an ending genuinely delighted me.

Shaky

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 29, 2018, 01:27:18 PM
It has the same pacing/vibe as Sun Choke albeit much more retro-cosmic.

While the comparison doesn't exactly fill me with delight, I've been meaning to check out Sun Choke but had forgotten the name so thanks for that.

Bence Fekete

I was ASMR'd to sleep during Black Rainbow, very much like Neon Demon which was also sexy but cripplingly flat.  Perhaps Cage will add some gravitas and/or narrative to proceedings and early reviews seem to be very promising.  The trailer makes it look a bit more Dusk Til Dawn meets Evil Dead which can't be a bad thing either.

Swoz_MK

Out on VOD in the States today so keep a pirate-patched eye out

Junglist

I absolutely loved every single insane fucking second of this.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Junglist on September 15, 2018, 12:41:13 AM
I absolutely loved every single insane fucking second of this.

YOUR AVATAR IS MAN FROM NOWHERE!!!

kidsick5000

SteveDave

I made two notes whilst watching "Mandy"

The LSD bikers had a lot of takeaway cartons in their house (or the house of the people they'd killed). How did they order them? And what happened to the delivery people?

Cassettes don't make that slowing down noise that records do when you stop a tape machine.

I liked it overall though.

Absorb the anus burn

Bazooka

I am not familiar with Panos Casmatos's other works, but watched it last night and felt very conflicted, I was semi compelled due to the overabundance of the visuals, Dario Argento style, but fucking christ if you are aiming for style over substance get the pacing right, the opening hour is a real slog.

Mass_Panic

It's like Evil Dead crossed with a Tarkovsky film. The first half is a slow burn, but very atmospheric - I didn't have a problem with it - it absolutely nails the atmosphere. Anyone interested in things like Hauntology should check it out because it will probably appeal.