Author Topic: Mandy (2018, FFO Beyond the Black Rainbow)  (Read 3343 times)

Moribunderast

• What is your place in my glorification?
Re: Mandy (2018, FFO Beyond the Black Rainbow)
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2018, 12:22:18 AM »
Saw this last night at a cinema screening - I think that atmosphere really elevated the film for me, whereas watching it at home I would've been entertained but slightly nonplussed. The cinema was roaring with laughter, rapturous applause for some of Cage's "acting" and all manner of levity. It almost felt like being at a screening of The Room or something. If somebody told me beforehand the crowd would be reacting to the whole thing like a giant meme I would have thought it to be interminable but it was actually very fun. The film itself I thought was very good at what it was setting out to do. The first half was a little slow but I think that served the giant fuck-off change in tone and atmosphere that came later.

Also, any film that opens with "Starless" is going to be a film I like.

BlodwynPig

• R.I.P. The Waxwork René
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2018, 09:58:17 PM »
Half way through but popped in to say the opening King Crimson into woozy psychedelia (the shot of them on the lake) was the best opening I can think of in a film. Perfect Johansson score. Anyway, onto the next hour.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2018, 11:22:15 PM »
Yep, fantastic although the second half didn't elevate the film, just took it to a deeper fantasy realm. Didn't know Johannsson was dead. Fucking great score.

oh, and Cheddar Goblin!

BlodwynPig

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2018, 11:24:27 PM »
From Wallsend to Hell...good stuff from Riseborough.

iamcoop

• Don't bring Harry
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2018, 10:39:15 PM »
Well I thought this was absolutely fucking amazing. Just got out the showing now - absolutely buzzing.

I’ll try and describe why when I’ve slept on it. 

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2018, 07:12:38 PM »
Going to see this tonight with the other half!

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2018, 10:19:04 PM »
Really looking forward to seeing this with an old friend at an afternoon showing in London. Glad to get the chance to catch it on the big(gish) screen.

Mister Six

• Half-masted, bass-boosted, sling-backed
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2018, 11:17:49 PM »
Watched it with the missus the other night, and we loved it. Despite some chatter on here, we thought the first hour shot by, aided by the stunning visuals. The cast were on top form, and Cage cracked us up with his manic staring/grinning at the end.

It's all style over substance, except I suppose the style is the substance. Love that it was seemingly inspired by 60s/70s prog rock/metal album covers rather than the current fad for 80s neon-retro.

Not quite sure why it was called Mandy, though. She was better fleshed out than many doomed women are in revenge films, but she did still just exist to serve the usual purpose, and the director's talk about her being the heart of the story or whatever seemed hollow.

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2018, 07:48:46 PM »
Going to see this tonight with the other half!

Dunno.  Not for me and I usually like a bit of grindcore.  I liked the cinematography but otherwise largely shit as it didn't really have any coherence.

Great grinning at the end mind.

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2018, 07:49:38 PM »
Yep, fantastic although the second half didn't elevate the film, just took it to a deeper fantasy realm. Didn't know Johannsson was dead. Fucking great score.

oh, and Cheddar Goblin!

Yes that trippy guitar riff has been in my head for days.

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2018, 05:43:18 PM »
So i just had to hear that trippy guitar track again (Mandy love theme) so i found it and listened to it just now.  All i could feel was an immense sense and physical feeling of how much he loved mandy, then the film clicked.

Fuck. That is art.

iamcoop

• Don't bring Harry
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2018, 03:20:01 PM »
I’m think I’m going to see this again tonight, it’s the last time they’re showing it at my local.

I know it’s so over the top to the point of absurdity but I found the scene where the bikers come and kidnap Mandy one of the most unsettling 5 minutes of cinema I’ve seen in ages. With all it’s strobe-y glory.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2018, 04:17:36 PM »
I’m think I’m going to see this again tonight, it’s the last time they’re showing it at my local.

I know it’s so over the top to the point of absurdity but I found the scene where the bikers come and kidnap Mandy one of the most unsettling 5 minutes of cinema I’ve seen in ages. With all it’s strobe-y glory.

Tyneside?

There was a midnight showing of it in East Toronto last night but I couldn't be arsed having to try and get back to Hamilton at 2:30 in the morning. Would love to see it on the big screen sometime.

iamcoop

• Don't bring Harry
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2018, 07:38:51 PM »
Yeah.

It’s sold out unfortunately. Gutted. This film has really got inside my head and it would’ve been nice to have seen it one last time on the big screen.

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2018, 08:05:16 AM »
Watched this last night. Wow!!! What a stunning and sublime film. I knew it was going somewhere but not till it did take the revenge turn. Brilliantly cast of mostly unknown actors (to me).Jeremiah was fantastic as a Koresh and Manson mixture.  I am still reeling from the whole psychotropic darkness of it all and still thinking about the imagery of the scenes, the wasp sting and Jeremiah’s music especially and failure to entice with his seduction. Even when it took the revenge turn I was still totally fixated. 

Not watched BTBR as yet but now I will aim to ASAP.

Fun fact- Jeremiah actor Linus Roche is none other than Ken Barlow’s son.

Bad Ambassador

• Sit down, Mario!
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2018, 08:57:11 AM »
It's out on DVD now.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2018, 12:07:25 PM »

Fun fact- Jeremiah actor Linus Roche is none other than Ken Barlow’s son.

As Ken Barlow is a high druid, it makes sense.

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • My RUBBISH
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2018, 02:56:53 PM »
A mental/metal film, and I like to think of it as Nic Cage's character from The Wicker Man remake's fever dream as he burns to death. His yell of "FIIIIRE!!!" has to be a cheeky wink back to that film

Cage is hilarious throughout, and it wouldn't be half the film without him. "You're a vicious snowflake"

Lovely music choices, the world looks amazing, and the revenge scenes pack a hefty, satisfying wallop

Would've loved to have seen this in a fun audience. They should add a live laughter track to the DVD
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 03:10:03 PM by Shameless Custard »

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2019, 12:35:03 AM »
I was trawling the January/possible closing down sale at HMV and picked this up on blu ray for a scant £7.49 (even though it'll probably turn up on Netflix in a month or two). My brain is a little melted after my first viewing, so I'm not sure I can fully articulate my thoughts about it, but it's certainly not something I'm going to forget soon.

Speaking of Netflix, it reminded me a little of their recent horror effort, Apostle. The freaky bikers and the image of someone being hoist up in a sack had similar counterparts in Apostle. Just an odd coincidence, I suppose and I think this was overall the better film.

It probably goes without saying that the imagery and soundtrack are very striking. The synth bits on the score make me wonder why in the hell Johannsson's work on Blade Runner 2049 was scrapped in favour of Hans Zimmer's blaring nonsense.

Not quite sure why it was called Mandy, though. She was better fleshed out than many doomed women are in revenge films, but she did still just exist to serve the usual purpose, and the director's talk about her being the heart of the story or whatever seemed hollow.
Yeah. At the risk of sounding like a (vicious) snowflake I was disappointed to see her ultimately reduced to little more than a plot device. In such an horrific way, as well. Despite (or maybe bacause of) the brutality of Cage's revenge, the film still manages to seem flippant. I was hoping that the murder would turn out to be a ruse and that he would find her in the church, still alive and resisting Jeremiah's attempts to brainwash her.

I'd seen the trailer, so I know it was the type of film to include chainsaw duels. I feel like the first half hints at a more interesting direction that it could have gone in, though, rather than devolve into a series of loosely connected fight scenes. Perhaps there is some argument to be made for the film being kind of timely, in the #metoo era. Jeremiah could be a stand in for any number of Hollywood scumbags, who destroy any woman that rejects their sexual advances. I'm not sure if that would make Mandy's fate artistically justified though.

Also, Brother Swan reminded me of Pablo Myers, from Check It Out! with Dr. Steve Brule.

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2019, 07:56:22 AM »
Watched this yesterday. Complete flimsy nonsense bullshit, but that hasn't yet stopped me enjoying a film. Quite liked it.

Cuntbeaks

• Guess who's coming to dinner?
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2019, 11:08:01 PM »
Eventually watched this at the weekend. A film of two halves, which has already been pointed out. The first half was very 'Black Rainbow', dripping with lysergic abandon. The initial scene with them on the bed together was excellent, very low key, yet wonderfully hallucinogenic.

When the slasher/revenge plot kicked in I kinda lost interest to be honest. Overall a decent film, one which would have been superb on the big screen.