Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,171
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:59:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Drake - Scorpion

Started by up_the_hampipe, June 28, 2018, 11:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

New album is out tomorrow, here's a trailer for some reason https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXIY6qcyl68

There's speculation it might be a double album, based on a billboard seen in Toronto https://twitter.com/DrakeBible_/status/1010063308148207618

What a summer for hip-hop!

up_the_hampipe

It is a double album! 25 tracks https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkk2MQvH

No Drake fans on this Chris Morris forum?

Z

I legit rate take care among my favorite hip hop albums ever and the one after it was nearly as good. Find it hard to care about his albums now though, he seems to hugely prioritise hit singles over a well flowing album

rue the polywhirl

Would like to see him collaborate on an album with Josh Homme (and call it Drake & Josh). Otherwise not overly fussed with any of his work.

i heard that he's hiding a child

DukeDeMondo

I haven't (knowingly) heard anything Drake has done since around about the time of If You're Reading This It's Too Late, barring the odd collaboration. What's been good since then? Is Views decent?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on June 28, 2018, 06:33:15 PM
I haven't (knowingly) heard anything Drake has done since around about the time of If You're Reading This It's Too Late, barring the odd collaboration. What's been good since then? Is Views decent?

It's all good, Duke. It's all good.

More Life was better than Views though.

DukeDeMondo

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 28, 2018, 06:43:02 PM
It's all good, Duke. It's all good.

More Life was better than Views though.

Alright, I'll get on the More Life then, so. That'll be a thing that I listen to this weekend.

the ouch cube

People want him to be good because he's big; it's normally the other way round.

Ja'moke

I like Drake (Take Care and Nothing Was The Same especially), but 25 tracks sounds like a slog. There isn't a lot of variation when it comes to Drake, so not sure a double album is the way to go.

up_the_hampipe

I think this might be his best album since Take Care.

Ja'moke

It's so long and boring, I gave up mid-way through the second album and went back to Jay Rock's latest album (now that's a cracker of an album)! 'Nonstop' is a tune though, I'll give Drake that. I'll give it another try at some point, but 25 tracks is daunting.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 29, 2018, 10:26:14 PM
It's so long and boring, I gave up mid-way through the second album and went back to Jay Rock's latest album (now that's a cracker of an album)! 'Nonstop' is a tune though, I'll give Drake that. I'll give it another try at some point, but 25 tracks is daunting.

Just leave it. You're not going to like it. You'd pretty much made up your mind about it when you saw the amount of tracks anyway.

Z

A double album seems horribly out of step at a point where he's being so directly contrasted with Pusha T.
Only reason I say Take Care is a favourite hip album of mine as opposed to outright saying it's one of the best is that i doubt I've played it right through more than 2 or 3 times. Take Care has such a sleepy vibe from 40's production that it almost suits the runtime, but not quite.

I'm hearing the first disc is vastly superior to the second, if they're conceptually divided in some manner that might be a bit of a win.

kitsofan34

In an ideal world you wouldn't have to concoct a fucking listening strategy to persevere through an artist's album, but surely the differing tone's and genres between Side A and Side B means you can split them up into seperate experiences? Two seperate, 45 minute albums are perfectly managable.

Z

Quote from: kitsofan34 on June 30, 2018, 09:25:52 AM
In an ideal world you wouldn't have to concoct a fucking listening strategy to persevere through an artist's album, but surely the differing tone's and genres between Side A and Side B means you can split them up into seperate experiences? Two seperate, 45 minute albums are perfectly managable.
Yep I'm definitely hoping he accidentally made a digestible single album.

Never actually got around to views from the sixth so we'll see if I make it to this

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 29, 2018, 10:45:40 PM
Just leave it. You're not going to like it. You'd pretty much made up your mind about it when you saw the amount of tracks anyway.

Nah, I almost always give an album a good week's worth of listening before I fully make my mind up (and you need an entire week to get through this album, am I right?!). I'm sure there will be tracks I like on here, but I imagine I'll most likely end up moving the ones I like to a separate playlist.

I just feel like Drake has been coasting for a while, same monontous flow, uninspiring production, and this was his chance to come out with something special. On first listen it was same old, same old. But I'll see if any of it is a grower.

Z

So I've heard this and it largely sounded like a pretty self conscious attempt to go back to Nothing Was the Same/Take Care type sounds

It's really hard to break Drake apart from how hugely shown up Drake was with the Story of Adidon. That diss track really cut asunder a guy who was really quite able to get by by just seeming kinda untouchable in his own sphere apart from rap circles. It very abruptly made his last few years look as weak as they actually were. I mean, am I only hearing a guy desperate to return to his past high points because I'm looking to see the flailing character that feud seemed to present? Would March 14th sound anywhere near as astoundingly lame without the context of Adidon?

Clownbaby

I've really tried to like Drake but I just can't. Same with Kendrick Lamar. There's something blocking them from me

Z

So he got his eighth #1 album there, which is very odd for a guy who has released 5 albums.

There's something weird going in with music streaming at the moment that doesn't seem sustainable and this album really highlights it.
In contrast to things like this and that gigantic Chris brown album, Kanye's 7 track releases look like some idyllic version of the future.

up_the_hampipe

leighhart

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 10, 2018, 01:02:10 PM
You are all bastards. I'm Upset.

Its just too calculated and joyless for me to truly get into, I can appreciate the boxes it ticks and some of the wordplay, Im just one of those guys that misses when hip hop sounded like this
https://youtu.be/fXJc2NYwHjw

Hat FM

Really just can't be bothered listening to a drake album with 25 tracks on it in 2018.  might just listen to 'so far gone' or 'thank me later' again.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Hat FM on July 12, 2018, 02:34:13 PM
Really just can't be bothered listening to a drake album with 25 tracks on it in 2018.

You don't need to listen to it all at once.

Hat FM

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 12, 2018, 03:21:28 PM
You don't need to listen to it all at once.

rules are rules hampipe!

Norton Canes

From Popbitch

QuoteDrake's new album, Scorpion, is the lowest-selling US #1 album since Nielsen started keeping records

There you go. This is likely the only contribution I will ever make to a thread on Drake.

up_the_hampipe

Just leave me and Drake alone.

Captain Z

Quote from: EminemYou ain't gonna sell 2 copies if you press a double album

Bazooka

Sorry but Drake is just mainstream rap painting by numbers, nothing musically challenging.