Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:00:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ideal Home (2018, Paul Rudd and Steve Coogan gay comedy)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, June 29, 2018, 03:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I've no idea what this is like, I only just saw it pop up on one of the torrent sites now, but the posters are fucking horrendous:

They suck cocks! Because they're gay! Hahahaha christ shoot me now.

This one would be better if it wasn't for Coogan wearing such a ridiculously stereotypical gay outfit.

I hope it's just bad marketing and the movie is fairly decent, I shall watch it at some point over the weekend but I don't have high hopes.

mothman

And of course they couldn't flip the image so at least top-billed Rudd has his name underneath his picture? Or do we think they were trying to be (that particularly un-ironic American flavour of) ironic by doing this?

Sebastian Cobb

Malcy

I downloaded it earlier. Might watch it tonight but if Coogan has a yank accent it's going straight off.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Malcy on June 29, 2018, 09:30:25 PM
I downloaded it earlier. Might watch it tonight but if Coogan has a yank accent it's going straight off.

It's an English accent so you're going to be okay. Just discovered that it's directed by the same guy who did Hamlet 2, which I thought was actually fairly underrated.

RoadMaintenanceTycoon

Sweet Christ that poster makes me wanna try conversion therapy

Shaky

mothman

Marketing types aren't always complete idiots (just most of them). This could be a "go big or go home" scenario - they know they have a stinker on their hands, so they might as well try to aim for the gross-out movie audience.

... unless it was always meant to be a gross-out movie, but a gross-out movie about gay people feels a risky proposition in 2018 Hollywood.

Malcy

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 29, 2018, 10:27:49 PM
It's an English accent so you're going to be okay. Just discovered that it's directed by the same guy who did Hamlet 2, which I thought was actually fairly underrated.

I'll defo give it a look then. Hamlet 2 is a great little film.

The Culture Bunker

Might just be me, but there's something odd looking on the second pic, the one with Coogan in the cowboy outfit. For one thing, his facial expression makes him like Rod Hull. Secondly, the kid looks like he was photoshopped in later.

Malcy

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 30, 2018, 03:32:51 PM
Might just be me, but there's something odd looking on the second pic, the one with Coogan in the cowboy outfit. For one thing, his facial expression makes him like Rod Hull. Secondly, the kid looks like he was photoshopped in later.

Not just you, looks a little too big and as if it was lifted from somewhere else.

Phil_A

In the second it looks suspiciously like they have pasted in Coogan's face from an Alan Partridge still.

Also, the child appears to be half buried in the ground.

Shit Good Nose

I have a lot of time for Paul Rudd, but by fuck is he in a shit-load of really terrible films.  Not that I'm saying this will be terrible (although first impressions...), but he really does seem to say "yes" to absolutely everything.

Shaky

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 30, 2018, 11:01:34 PM
I have a lot of time for Paul Rudd, but by fuck is he in a shit-load of really terrible films.  Not that I'm saying this will be terrible (although first impressions...), but he really does seem to say "yes" to absolutely everything.

It's not just Rudd, it seems to be American comedians/comic actors in general now (Jason Bateman, Melissa McCarthy, Vince Vaughan and the undisputed champion, Owen Wilson). I have a slightly hole-filled theory they're all trying to mimic Bill Murray's trajectory - couple of good early films, 10 or so years of shit then more weighty roles.

Shit Good Nose

Alternatively, it could just be the Ron Perlman ethos I guess - never turn anything down and that way you keep getting work.  Makes even more sense now you've mentioned Bateman and Vaughan, both of whom of course went a few years where they couldn't pay their own money to be in something.

Bazooka

I am also very fond of Hamlet 2, its due a rewatch soon I think.

SteveDave

I got 25 minutes into this and felt sad for everyone involved.

Shit Good Nose

Quite a few critics (well, US critics) have given it a solid thumbs up.

A mate saw it yesterday and said that there's too much comedy for it to be a decent drama, and too much drama for it to be a decent comedy.

I remember very little about Hamlet 2 (saw it at the cinema, and not seen it since), but I did quite enjoy Fleming's remake of The In-Laws, albeit mostly for Albert Brooks.

SteveDave

I watched the rest of this on Saturday night and it was OK in the end.

There was a joke from "Paul Calf's Video Diary" in it too. Coogan's character takes "Bill" to Walmart and buys loads of toys and booze.

Cashier "Are you having a party?"
Coogan "...no"

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: SteveDave on July 09, 2018, 11:48:20 AM
I watched the rest of this on Saturday night and it was OK in the end.

There was a joke from "Paul Calf's Video Diary" in it too. Coogan's character takes "Bill" to Walmart and buys loads of toys and booze.

Cashier "Are you having a party?"
Coogan "...no"

I watched it today and really liked it, the portrayal of the relationship felt very real and it was a quite sweet affair. 7.6/10

Icehaven

Watched this yesterday purely because of Coogan being in it. It was alright but could have been a lot better, and just felt a bit pointless. It was obvious from the first 10 minutes that the plot was going to play out exactly like every other "Irresponsible selfish type gets kid dumped on them unexpectedly" film, just with the twist/purpose being that they're gay, but that's hardly a hot take in 2018, is it? Also spent the first hour thinking Rudd was Ben Affleck. It was the beard, the top halves of their faces must be identical.