Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:40:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Go Faster Stripe Singles Club

Started by DrGreggles, June 29, 2018, 09:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

https://www.gofasterstripe.com/cgi-bin/website.cgi?page=club

I think they're a good thing - even if I'm not a fan of everything they release.

Small Man Big Horse

Yeah, that looks pretty decent, and I'm supportive of them as a whole so I may well do this.

Oh nice, hadn't heard of this. I like a lot of gofasterstripe's output and have a fair few of their DVDs but have yet to try the downloads. Thanks for the heads up!

Benjaminos

Signed up for this when Chris Evans (not that one) tweeted about wanting beta testers. £5 is a bargain for what you get, especially if you choose that Dr. Buckles live show from last year, as everyone should.

Yeah Stewart Lee has just included the link in his newsletter email too.

Hopefully this gets a fair few subscribers as it's a cracking idea and Evans deserves the pennies just for preserving 90s Comedian on DVD, still my fave of Lee's stand-up.

rasta-spouse

Apart from Jon-Luke Roberts it does seem like slim pickings as far as interesting future releases go. But three free on sign-up does seem an ok deal.

niallquinn

Same here, signed up, brilliant value.

Thing I like is, you can email Chris, and he'll reply offering his advice etc quickly.  Some sites you email and never hear a thing, or they take ages.  I emailed the BBC, and said, "I know Fern Brady has recorded a show for BBC3, can you tell me the date it'll be on the website.  Took them 5 weeks to reply, and say, "no"."

magval

Class, Simon Munnery has a new show out and they've added Tony Law's OOP 2nd DVD to the downloads section. I really should keep up with these things.

olliebean

Quote from: niallquinn on August 08, 2018, 04:44:15 PM
I emailed the BBC, and said, "I know Fern Brady has recorded a show for BBC3, can you tell me the date it'll be on the website.  Took them 5 weeks to reply, and say, "no"."

27th June 2018. You're welcome.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: rasta-spouse on July 04, 2018, 01:42:31 AM
Apart from Jon-Luke Roberts it does seem like slim pickings as far as interesting future releases go. But three free on sign-up does seem an ok deal.

I'm very fond of both Nick Helm and David Trent, and hear good things about Austentatious, at least when Joseph Morpurgo is involved.

rasta-spouse

I've seen the Austentatious release. I'm not into that kind of literature, but I found it pretty weak (you're better off with The Masterson Inheritance or the Natasha Leggero sitcom). The Morporgo content is pretty minimal, zero multimedia craziness, and no similarity to his solo work.

Have to say, the last Netflix release of 1hr UK stand-up sets was pretty enjoyable stuff - if Gofasterstripe really want to hold their own with that then they're going to have to pull their socks up. Tony Law's first release is great but Force of Life... is barely even a show.

Steptoes_Son

Quote from: rasta-spouse on August 08, 2018, 09:41:37 PM
Have to say, the last Netflix release of 1hr UK stand-up sets was pretty enjoyable stuff - if Gofasterstripe really want to hold their own with that then they're going to have to pull their socks up. Tony Law's first release is great but Force of Life... is barely even a show.

Any particular recommendations?

olliebean

Quote from: rasta-spouse on August 08, 2018, 09:41:37 PMHave to say, the last Netflix release of 1hr UK stand-up sets was pretty enjoyable stuff - if Gofasterstripe really want to hold their own with that then they're going to have to pull their socks up.

Not to mention NextUp Comedy, with a new show every week for a quid fifty less per month. (And including some of the GFS shows.)

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Steptoes_Son on August 08, 2018, 10:03:23 PM
Any particular recommendations?

If you're asking about the Netflix stuff, I found them all watchable and stuck with them for the full hour.  And I know that's no glowing recommendation, but I do usually bail on things within 15-30m if they're firing blanks. These shows all have a certain voice to them, they have something to say (whether what they're saying is of the greatest importance is up in the air), and the shows all work. I guess that's why they were selected by NF (n.b. Stu Lee says NF rejected Content Provider for being "too parochial", so that's an insight), and I was surprised by the quality.

Anyway basic rundown:- I don't like Pascoe usually, but her show really seemed funny and clever and avoided her usual didacticism - best of the bunch. Doc Brown's show had good bits but a few weak spots, but very watchable and coming from a fresh perspective. Liam Williams, great failed millennial stuff from a poetic soul but had a Stu Lee style rant/breakdown close that a lot of new comics feel obliged to do as a sign of sincerity.

Ivo Graham has some really solid gold punchlines, and he's classy too! Less of a whole themed show, bit wobbly here and there but he's a kid, right? John Robins, is the one out of the bunch I like the most due to his podcast but his hour I'd put in the bottom two of the lot. I didn't expect him to be quite so dark in places, which perhaps clashed with the likeable image I had of him from the pod. So perhaps it's the first time I've enjoyed a show less because of cognitive dissonance.

But they're all at a higher standard to most netflix s/up releases, for example the recent 15 minute sets from the US, which are ghastly. Well worth a binge, esp if you're familiar with these guys from pods or panel.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: rasta-spouse on August 08, 2018, 09:41:37 PM
I've seen the Austentatious release. I'm not into that kind of literature, but I found it pretty weak (you're better off with The Masterson Inheritance or the Natasha Leggero sitcom). The Morporgo content is pretty minimal, zero multimedia craziness, and no similarity to his solo work.

I saw the Austentatious release as I found it on dvd for a quid fifty in a charity shop, have to say I enjoyed it and even though Morpurgo isn't at his best in it I found it daft fun in general.

I finally joined up to the Singles Club today as now I'm a working man I have money to burn (well, a fiver at least) and obtained Seymour Mace's Shit Title first, I had high hopes as I've heard nothing but good things about him and he's the kind of comic I like, but I struggled with it. There are some great bits, the Generation Game segment is fun and I liked some of his offhand comments and the montage of his year, but I was surprised by how much didn't hit home, the Mannequin hands and slicing up cute cuddly toys felt especially filler-ish and the whole miming along to a song to explain why his date went wrong didn't do it for me. It's not enough to write him off and I'll see him live at some point as I know this show was from 2016, but I'll definitely have lower expectations.

I've noticed not a great deal seems to have been added since I last checked out the site a year ago so I'll be interested to see what the next monthly download will be, whether it'll be something new or just an old show. I'll stick with it for a few months too as I like GFS and think the initial joining offer's all a bit of a bargain, but I have to confess to being not that optimistic that I'll be a member for the rest of my days. Has anyone else stuck with it? And if so, what's it been like?

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 21, 2019, 07:25:36 PM
the whole miming along to a song

I know Lee Evans (and every silent comedian from the past) does a lot of this, but the first time I saw it live in an alternative theatre show it kind of amazed me. I think it was Luke-Roberts or Kim Noble. Then a lot of other arty comics started doing it. This happens a lot with great "bits" I find, until you get to Seymour Mace lazily deploying it. I didn't enjoy his GFS show either, quite sub-Reeves & Mortimer surrealism.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: rasta-spouse on April 21, 2019, 08:53:34 PM
I know Lee Evans (and every silent comedian from the past) does a lot of this, but the first time I saw it live in an alternative theatre show it kind of amazed me. I think it was Luke-Roberts or Kim Noble. Then a lot of other arty comics started doing it. This happens a lot with great "bits" I find, until you get to Seymour Mace lazily deploying it. I didn't enjoy his GFS show either, quite sub-Reeves & Mortimer surrealism.

Ah, I'm glad it's not just me who didn't get on with it. Have you seen any of his other shows out of interest?

Stewart Lee's 90's Comedian just appeared in my download area and I'm not sure why, normally I'd be happy about a free show but I bought that on dvd (second hand) years ago, and saw it live too, and I'm not sure why it's suddenly turned up.

Ferris

Chris Evans (not that one) suggests (maybe as a joke?) that one of the reasons they're doing this is because no one buys DVDs anymore, but whenever I buy stuff off GFS I usually pick the digital download option so surely they don't need to sell physical DVDs anymore?

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 21, 2019, 09:36:51 PM
Ah, I'm glad it's not just me who didn't get on with it. Have you seen any of his other shows out of interest?

The Shit Title release is all I've seen. I used to assume that if a comic released something it would be because it was best possible example of what they do (how naive of me), but now it just seems more about the vagaries of time, space and commercial or minority interest. He may well have a great show in him...or not.

Le Tourbillon

I'm sticking with it. The initial offer for free titles from the back-catalogue and occasional extra free stuff is good. I never seem to get around to watching most of the titles, but at £5 a month for a new monthly show seems a decent deal. Nextup Comedy looks a bit more tempting, but, again, I'd probably never get around to watching most of it.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Le Tourbillon on April 22, 2019, 09:02:52 AM
I'm sticking with it. The initial offer for free titles from the back-catalogue and occasional extra free stuff is good. I never seem to get around to watching most of the titles, but at £5 a month for a new monthly show seems a decent deal. Nextup Comedy looks a bit more tempting, but, again, I'd probably never get around to watching most of it.

And has there been a new show every month? Or do you sometimes get one from their back catalogue?

Le Tourbillon

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 22, 2019, 11:12:04 PM
And has there been a new show every month? Or do you sometimes get one from their back catalogue?

They've missed a few months but you get something free to make up for it. To be honest, I think I prefer the free months as the back catalogue's mostly stronger than the recent releases.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Le Tourbillon on April 23, 2019, 06:44:35 PM
They've missed a few months but you get something free to make up for it. To be honest, I think I prefer the free months as the back catalogue's mostly stronger than the recent releases.

Thanks for letting me know, I've kind of mixed feelings about that as I've seen a good few things out of their back catalogue, either live or back in the days when I used to buy the dvds, but hopefully I won't end up getting too much stuff I've already seen. It's a shame they don't film new shows a bit more often but I guess they must be pretty busy with Richard Herring's podcast, especially now it's on the road and not always at the Leicester Square Theatre.

Seymour Mace is great and you really need to see him live.  The bloke just oozes funny.  The Shit Title DVD show has the handicap of being in a room with not many people in it and that comes across as a poor show on the telly.  I saw the same show in Edinburgh and was pissing myself.  Youngest Cunt vs Oldest Cunt is just a piss-funny idea.

Small Man Big Horse

The latest release is Thom Tuck's Goes Straight To DVD, which I've mixed feelings about. For one thing it was originally performed in 2011, but since then has been broadcast in a truncated form on Radio 4 (with 15 extra minutes added here), so the majority of it isn't going to be fresh and exciting stuff for a fair few people. I'd not heard or seen it before though so that doesn't apply to me at least, and I did partially enjoy it, it certainly starts strongly and gave me a lot of faith that it was going to be great but then it tails off in the middle. It's all about straight to dvd Disney sequels and some of the jokes are very very good but sometimes all he does is describe a sequel and mention how insane it is, which disappointed, and I presume it's these bits which weren't included in the radio version. Throughout there's also a strand where he talks about the women who have broken his heart and it all ties together at the end, but the emotional ending doesn't feel particularly earned.

Small Man Big Horse

I presume it was an accidental fuck up but after getting Tony Law's "A Lost Show" in June I didn't get anything in July, though John-Luke Roberts "All I Wanna Do Is [FX: GUNSHOTS] With a [FX: GUN RELOADING] and a [FX: CASH REGISTER] and Perform Some Comedy!" turned up in my download area the other day so at least I got to see a show I really wanted to watch. It's a gorgeous thing as well which made me laugh hard throughout, and I definitely plan to see his new show now.

Edit: Have to say that I'm not too sure if I'm going to stay subscribed for much longer, and it'll definitely depend on what's coming soon. It's just that compared to NextUp £5 per show seems a bit tight, especially given that NextUp are currently adding eight titles a month, and have a sod load I want to see that I still haven't got round to.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 05, 2019, 10:00:43 PM
I presume it was an accidental fuck up but after getting Tony Law's "A Lost Show" in June I didn't get anything in July, though John-Luke Roberts "All I Wanna Do Is [FX: GUNSHOTS] With a [FX: GUN RELOADING] and a [FX: CASH REGISTER] and Perform Some Comedy!" turned up in my download area the other day so at least I got to see a show I really wanted to watch. It's a gorgeous thing as well which made me laugh hard throughout, and I definitely plan to see his new show now.

Is that the Spice Girls show?

Small Man Big Horse

DrGreggles

Nice one. Really enjoyed that when I saw it.

Small Man Big Horse

Finally got around to watching Tony Law's A Lost Show but was a bit disappointed by it, I'm a big fan of his and have seen him live a good few times but the quality of this was all over the place, sometimes very funny and then sometimes a bit weak.

This month there wasn't a new release so we were given the choice of any old show, so I got the other John-Luke Robert's recording, I've not watched it but am looking forward to it. Still not sure how long I'm going to stick with them though, especially if the quality of the new shows isn't raised.