Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:54:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Limited Time Events

Started by Barry Admin, June 30, 2018, 12:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Absolutely go and fuck yourself.

Z

I remember reading that Sonic was gonna be hanging out in Phantasy Star Online for his 10th (?) anniversary back around 2000 and thinking that must be amazing (under the impression that everyone playing PSO at that time could gather in a room together to hang out with Sonic.

Kelvin

Not sure if this is the sort of thing you mean, Neil, but Splatoon has monthly "Splatfests", where the community divides between two self selected teams (Autobots vs Decepticons, Cake vs Trifle, Seaside vs Countryside, etc) and then on the next weekend, they fight for in-game rewards. It's great, and is actually one of the better incentives to pick the game up again months later. They totally overhaul the lobby, the stages, and even add specially made new ones. It really feels like a proper event, and one which is taking part within the world of the game.

It only lasts a weekend, and isn't essential to advancing in the game, though. So that probably makes a difference.   

Hecate

Quote from: Kelvin on July 02, 2018, 12:41:56 AM
Not sure if this is the sort of thing you mean, Neil

Limited time events is "life", innit, obviously? Call yourself a Neil fan?!
This isn't the sort of bloke who panickedly rage-posts from a barbers chair upon realising that a rare pokemon is about to commit Harakiri in the next village.

This is a man who thinks, slowly, and then posts.

The thread title reminded me of the aptly named "Cruise for a Corpse", you were a detective solving a murder on a ship with a time limit and it had this hardcore "dead rising" mechanic where certain things would only happen at certain places in the game-world at certain times and if you weren't there to catch some of them, the story would never progress.
You were supposed to play through the game multiple times and build up this picture of what went on and stroke your chin and shake your hair and finger your arse, but as a child, obviously, you just kept hitting that brick wall and wondering why you weren't clever enough to be enjoying this atmospheric, esoteric game.

I've associated life with the sea ever since.
It's a big scary, rolling, confusing, roaring, magnetic mess with all fish in it, it'll drag you hither and thither given the opportunity, and whilst I might enjoy gazing out at it from time to time, I'm much happier standing here, having a tab, holding your still-warm knickers in my hand, watching and laughing as you run out blindly, bare-arsed and banterful, only to be dashed up and down the rocks like a dropped pizza, thank you very much.

Also, when they have killing floor limited time events, I don't even bother downloading the update because it's too big and I probably won't play it anyway.

biggytitbo

Hitman has those elusive targets doesn't it (I believe you had to kill Gary busey in one of them)? I don't play it online but they sound like a good use if the idea that doesn't affect the core game.

As with Splatoon, the once a month ARMS Party Crash events are the highlights of the game. In fact, I never play it any more outside of these events. They make a big song and dance about it, add loads more variety and a loose sense of purpose and progression but it's really just 'have more fun'.

On the other hand, for something like Pokemon Go which I assume prompted the thread, it must be really irritating to miss out on a collectible when that's the aim of the game, purely because you have to go to a funeral or an interview or something. I felt the same about the time limited events in Monster Hunter World with like a Ryu costume if you unlock this or that tripe.

Barry Admin

It was actually Monster Hunter World that prompted this, although it's the same with Call of Duty and many other games now too. "Hey, here's a really cool thing, come and play our game." And then if you miss it, it's gone forever.

I just hate the level of psychological manipulation in games these days, especially as it's such an effective way to keep you grinding, even past the point when you're actually having fun.

And yeah, PoGo/Niantic are amazing at this for sure, they are incredible at making you think you're missing out all the time, if you're not playing. But it doesn't really bother me there as I'm still so addicted to the game and see it as a way of life now. Not walking around for endless hours on end seems dumb.

And I'll probably get a Shadow Claw Gengar at some point, now that they're bringing back legacy moves. I just offered someone £20 for one ffs.

BeardFaceMan

Neil, for the sake of your sanity, stay far, far away from Destiny 2.

Barry Admin

Ha, I noticed you'd given in and bought it! I was close a few times. Full of this sort of shit then?

It is just obnoxious. At least I can still really enjoy CoD as a very fast-paced shooter, but all the "ahh look what you could have had" stuff is irritating. Then you've also got that shit Destiny-style "social hub" where everyone stands around doing endless star jumps (keep meaning to do a thread about that's popularity as an emote), and you have to open your loot boxes around other people to level up stuff etc.

It's all just tedious manipulation.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 02, 2018, 04:43:16 PM
Ha, I noticed you'd given in and bought it! I was close a few times. Full of this sort of shit then?

It is just obnoxious. At least I can still really enjoy CoD as a very fast-paced shooter, but all the "ahh look what you could have had" stuff is irritating. Then you've also got that shit Destiny-style "social hub" where everyone stands around doing endless star jumps (keep meaning to do a thread about that's popularity as an emote), and you have to open your loot boxes around other people to level up stuff etc.

It's all just tedious manipulation.

Oh its nothing but time gated events, its a fucking nightmare. Even light progression has been time gated, you can only progress so much each week. Im still not a high enough level to try the raid yet and thats after about 2 months of play. Theres some big fixes and changes coming with the next dlc but I cant see how they can save this shitshow. I only bought it because it was ridiculously cheap on humblebundle (that should have been a huge warning really) and even that was a mistake.

Kelvin

I think there is a right way to do it, though. The examples of Splatfests and ARMS Party Crash events are both widely considered the high points of those games, due to the 'special-ness' of them. The unique play modes, the distinct visual additions, the sense of it being an actual event, both in and out of the game world. In those cases, it feels more than just a way to get badges or seashells, it's a legitimately more fun time to play.

In both cases, though, the prizes can either be obtained in other ways, or are inconsequential enough not to matter if you miss them (ie. just a badge).