Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:04:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ys VIII - Lacrimosa of Dana

Started by The Boston Crab, July 01, 2018, 08:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I tend not to play games with this kind of name but I picked this up after seeing a few positive comments and checking out some reviews.

It's a JRPG as you might guess from the name but with an action RPG bent to the combat  Elements of Hyrule Warriors and even a very lite Bayonetta influence to the fighting mechanics. The world seems rather like Xenoblade Chronicles or pretty much any JRPG. I heard the exploration is great, massive areas, caves, beaches and stuff. Seems pretty accurate so far. Decent boss battles. Hub area builds as you meet new people. Music is typical Japanese hair metal plaintive piano and glassy synths. Pure cheese but pumping.

It feels pretty low-budget and old-fashioned in some ways and looks like a PS2 game but I actually like that, or at least don't have a problem with it. It feels ambitious beyond its means like games used to. I'm much preferring it to the absolute borefest that is God of War, for example.

This is an extremely gay game, all the guys are wearing leather vests and stuff. It's a very happy and sunny JRPG, and feels a good ten years old. Maybe more. It reminds me of a Wii game perhaps.

I wouldn't but this at full price but it's a great twenty or thirty quid game. It's all very cheerful when I'm home alone and wrecked from work, nice to play something where the exploration feels massive but is actually really linear and designed. It's just a nice game which looks a good ten years old m