Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:00:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sicario 2: Soldado

Started by surreal, July 01, 2018, 09:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

Couldn't see a thread for this but just wondered if anyone else was bothering to see it?  I really liked the original movie (I won't say first as this was surely never intended to be a franchise), but i'm not sure about this one.  I saw it yesterday, they are definitely going for the same feel and trying to make it a tense thriller but there is nothing in there that comes close to the freeway stand-off in the original.

Starts with a shocking opening few minutes, which I can't quite believe they got away with doing, then for a while I was bothered it was going to turn into pro-ICE propaganda material.  Del Toro is playing Del Toro as he usually does, Thanos is Thanos (can't see him as anything else now).  The main plot direction is telegraphed pretty early unfortunately, but a surprising ending definitely leaves it open to more, but I can't see how they'll do the numbers to justify it.  Critics see to like it though.

Shit Good Nose

I thought it was pretty fucking great (parts of it better than the original, which I love), BUT it is let down by that monumental suspension of disbelief one has to have that totally takes you out of the film's universe.  Shame about that.

Wet Blanket

Really liked the first one; this one was watchable but had that US Marshalls/Hannibal feel of a sequel that shifts the focus too much onto the cool supporting characters of the first film, shining too much light on them and spoiling the magic. 

Allejandro is well on his way to becoming a superhero isn't he? Borderline invincible. I can see it developing into a franchise in the same vein as Rambo, where the moral ambiguity of that character is dropped in favour of becoming an old-school Hollywood badass.