Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:06:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Leave No Trace (new Debra Granik / Ben Foster film)

Started by Z, July 01, 2018, 12:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Z

Anyone see it yet?

Didn't even know it was coming out until a couple of hours before going to it in Friday, two people in the ~200 person room so I can't imagine it's going to be in cinemas too long.

Will probably type more later when I'm on desktop but it's as good as you'd come to expect from those two names.

Z

So yeah, just had a look at the reviews and it's firmly in "film of the year" territory. I think that overstates it a bit, there's definitely a narrative that critics seem fond of around calling the lead actor (she is very very good) the next Hollywood superstar of the Jennifer Lawrence variety based on fuck all other than the Winter's Bone director connection.

This a small film, a hell of a lot more slight and downplayed than Winter's Bone was. Not totally sure if it's slight to a fault but it's very close, and the very fond gaze Granik bestows upon these outsider characters throughout it does wear thin a little. I can see me being the person arguing "it's very good but you're totally wrong to say it's great" with people at the end of the year.

Z

No one? Really? Anyways, looks like it's had a fairly reduced number of screenings around me for next week (a lot of one per day listings), probably be out of a lot of cinemas the week after.

Twit 2

Was this out in any Odeon cinemas? Marc Commode loved it, if that means anything.

Z

I don't think I saw any Odeon's in London with it actually. Most picturehouse and vue cinemas had it last week though.

Still with 100% on RT from 108 reviews. This film is a pretty prime example of how a lot of the people who go one about a lack of female directors don't really help themselves; these mid level indie type things not completely bombing would lead to production companies warming up to the idea of bigger female directed female centric films. I thought that 52 weeks thing from a year or two ago done a lot to get people to realise there's stuff out there they only need to dig a little for but maybe not.
Unless they're carrying some clear cut "woman issue" (e.g. Obvious Child) they seem to receive minimal attention and bomb in a big way. Where's the Jezebel write up about how it's a disgrace that Debra Granik is only able to get one film produced every eight years?

...oh wait, looks like it's only get a national release in the US this weekend. Maybe that's why it's seemingly done so poorly here.

popcorn

Just saw this. I like how gentle and sympathetic it is, and the sense of the rain and the clean air.

It reminds me a bit of Wendy and Lucy, which is one of my favourite films. In fact I'd love to know why Kermode was so dismissive of Wendy and Lucy (IIRC his only review was something like "American indie film, nothing more to report") and so in love with this.

Sin Agog

Must have been during the phase when he wrote off all Amerindie films as 'quirky.'

BlodwynPig

popcorn

It's another one of those stories where a grizzled bloke is paired with his teenage daughter or daughter substitute in a hostile environment, like The Last of Us and Logan and You Were Never Really Here.

Of course it's nothing like those stories really, I'm just pointing out a superficial similarity. Hope this helps you.

Funcrusher

Quote from: popcorn on January 16, 2019, 12:13:00 AM

It reminds me a bit of Wendy and Lucy, which is one of my favourite films. In fact I'd love to know why Kermode was so dismissive of Wendy and Lucy (IIRC his only review was something like "American indie film, nothing more to report") and so in love with this.

Because he's a monumentally clueless prat.

wooders1978

Just watched it - quite enjoyed it but felt it meandered a little bit - it's also based on a book by Pete Rock who is one of my favourite hip hop producers of all time so that's a nice tie in

holyzombiejesus

Just watched this (£1 on Prime). Thought it was great already and then it ended with a new Kendra Smith song. I already want to watch it again.

thugler

Enjoyed this a fair bit, but felt it wasn't nearly as good as 'Lean on Pete' which had a number of similarities and didn't seem to get any plaudits whatsoever.