Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:37:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

!!! - Wimblewrong 2018 First-Round Draw - !!!

Started by selectivememory, July 01, 2018, 04:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

Welcome to Wimblewrong 2018. The draw for the first round will be posted in this thread at 5pm BST today. At that point, servers (that is, the people named first in each tie) will have 72 hours to prepare and post their opening shots.

We have 22 people taking part. I think the best option is to have three high-scoring losers go through to the next round (last year we had one, but sending three through will give us an additional match in the next round).

That means we'll have seven second-round matches, with one high-scoring loser going through to the quarters from that point.

selectivememory

Might as well post the rules while we're waiting:

Quote1. Each match will consist of two shots per player, except the final in which there are three shots per player.
2. The player with the opening shot (i.e. the server) can put what they want in their picture.  But all subsequent pictures (i.e the return) must contain, either visually or conceptually, an element of the previous picture.
3. The pictures will be 800 x 600, or 600 x 800 pixels in size.
4. Voting will take place by posting the name of your favourite in the game thread immediately after play has ended (i.e. when the 4th picture of each match has been posted).  The voting will last for 48 hours.
5. Common sense prevails in image choice.
6. Pictures can be uploaded to places like imgur for those who have no webspace, but the picture must be displayed in the game thread.

And a reminder of time permitted:  You have 72 hours to post an image from when the round starts or from when the last shot has been posted. Keep a look out on your game for when your opponent posts their shot, as it's from that time that the 72 hours start.

selectivememory

So here's the draw then. People named first in the ties are the servers, and will need to post their shots by 5pm BST on Wednesday.

Tie 1: MoonDust - seepage
Tie 2: Crabwalk - Small Man Big Horse
Tie 3: ziggy starbucks - poo
Tie 4: Wasp_f15ting - Paul Calf
Tie 5: Spoon of Ploff - hummingofevil
Tie 6: baptist - Poisson Du Jour
Tie 7: hedgehog90 - newbridge
Tie 8: Absorb the anus burn - Ian Drunken Smurf
Tie 9: madhair60 - alan nagsworth
Tie 10: Cerys - rue the polywhirl
Tie 11: kittens - Pdine

Good luck everyone!

Spoon of Ploff

selectivememory

Oh, and as discussed in the sign-up thread, MoonDust and seepage will follow their own schedule for this match. MoonDust, if you post before the deadline, bear in mind that seepage won't be able to play until the 4th. I figured that he/she will be able to prepare their response to your shot while you're unable to play from the 5th, and then you can resume the match when you're available to play again. We'll be a bit flexible with it if we have to, that way you both get to have a match.

MoonDust

Let the games commence!

And thanks selectivememory for accommodating us both!

wasp_f15ting

spamwangler

hedgehog90

BlodwynPig

Paul Calf

Quote from: selectivememory on July 01, 2018, 04:59:17 PM
So here's the draw then. People named first in the ties are the servers, and will need to post their shots by 5pm BST on Wednesday.

Tie 4: Wasp_f15ting - Paul Calf

Ah, well. I've had a good run.

Cerys

madhair60

alan nagsworth

Madhair you twat I was looking forward to this

But I'll shag whoever I don't care

selectivememory

Quote from: alan nagsworth on July 02, 2018, 07:46:10 PM
Madhair you twat I was looking forward to this

But I'll shag whoever I don't care

He could have just posted a Space Cunts strip, but never mind. I'll try and have something done as soon as I can.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: selectivememory on July 02, 2018, 07:52:04 PM
He could have just posted a Space Cunts strip, but never mind. I'll try and have something done as soon as I can.

Take your time if you need to, I don't mind. :)

madhair60

Sorry. I can try if I still have time tomorrow evening but i dunno what the time limit is.

selectivememory

Quote from: madhair60 on July 02, 2018, 11:57:53 PM
Sorry. I can try if I still have time tomorrow evening but i dunno what the time limit is.

If you can do something that would be great. The deadline is Wednesday evening.

hedgehog90

Does nobody understand mine or is just a bit rubbish?

selectivememory

I like it! Didn't get around to posting in the thread, but I don't always do that.

I had to do a bit of googling to make sense of it though. Don't know if that means it's an obscure reference or not. But it's as well-executed as we've come to expect from you.

hedgehog90

Yeah, it's probably a bit more obscure than I was intending.
Spoiler alert
To anyone else who's confused about my 'wrong, I'm referencing Divine from Pink Flamingos, and her reply to the interviewer's question begins "KILL EVERYONE NOW!"
[close]

BlodwynPig

Not a fan of mid-match commentating....but yes that makes no sense to the unenlightened.

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: hedgehog90 on July 03, 2018, 01:05:24 AM
Spoiler alert
To anyone else who's confused about my 'wrong, I'm referencing Divine from Pink Flamingos, and her reply to the interviewer's question begins "KILL EVERYONE NOW!"
[close]

Oi! We had this conversation before. No reference reveals and explanations until after voting. It's part of the craft.. how obscure and subtle you can go before you lose potential votes to the 'I dont get it crowd.'

I know its not in the rule book but I consider this an unwritten law.

If Selectivememory doesn't disqualify and ban you from any future competitions for your wicked crime you should do the honest thing.. photoshop a sword and fall on it.

I'm being genuinely genuine here and am in no way being influenced by my two humiliating defeats at your hands last  year that still cause sleepless nights and anxiety dreams 12 months later.

alan nagsworth

Is Pink Flamingos - specifically that scene and Divine's look - really that obscure? I always knew about it before I saw the film, personally. Anyway it's a great shot.

pancreas

Quote from: hedgehog90 on July 03, 2018, 01:05:24 AM
Spoiler alert
[close]

Aren't you supposed to be dead?

madhair60

Quote from: selectivememory on July 03, 2018, 12:07:32 AM
If you can do something that would be great. The deadline is Wednesday evening.

I'll get it done, thanks

selectivememory

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on July 03, 2018, 05:08:37 AM
I know its not in the rule book but I consider this an unwritten law.

To be honest, I don't know what the consensus is on this. If enough people want to say in this thread that they don't think it should be allowed, perhaps we should make it an official rule.

I do tend to agree with you that people should wait until the voting is finished before explaining their shots, but I think I'll leave it as a matter of etiquette for the time being. Someone did even point out to me last year that in the olden days of Wimblewrong, people used to link to their source images in the same posts as their shots, so it's possible that not everyone feels that strongly about it.

Quote from: madhair60 on July 03, 2018, 10:21:16 AM
I'll get it done, thanks

Nice.

Crabwalk

Quote from: selectivememory on July 03, 2018, 10:35:28 AM
Someone did even point out to me last year that in the olden days of Wimblewrong, people used to link to their source images in the same posts as their shots, so it's possible that not everyone feels that strongly about it.

Yes, that's right about the early years. I'm sure we'd all still be happy to share source files if asked. Not sure I'd ever want waspy's, mind!