Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 730
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:37:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Preacher Season 3

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 02, 2018, 05:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

It felt a bit filler to me, if you remove all the bus shenanigans which were pointless.

NoSleep

That would make the whole season filler, so far. We're set up for the season finale (which we weren't last week), filler or no.

mothman

Nothing that happened in the bus really mattered. You could have removed the whole "angel of death getting Featherstone and Tulip mixed up" from this week and last week, and put Jesse defeating Allfather and regaining his soul into last week's, cut down the exploding clones sequence too.

BritishHobo

I thought this season had only just started, so I've had a surprise rinse of all nine episodes.

I'm starting to worry this show is just another Walking Dead. After the first season I thought it was going to be a real road-trip show, loads of momentum, but each season, like The Walking Dead, gets stuck in one location, any forward momentum hampered by irritating padding that exists for no reason but to prolong the moment before the gang can get on the road again. It's starting to pick up, but that was exactly The Walking Dead's problem. It would be meandering shite for most of a season and then pick up right at the end so you think 'shit, it's getting good again, I'll keep watching' and then next season it's back to trudging.

And having so little Eugene and Hitler is criminal. Nothing in the first half of the season, a couple of scenes in one episode, then nothing again until this week. So wasted!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BritishHobo on August 21, 2018, 09:28:26 PM
I thought this season had only just started, so I've had a surprise rinse of all nine episodes.

I'm starting to worry this show is just another Walking Dead. After the first season I thought it was going to be a real road-trip show, loads of momentum, but each season, like The Walking Dead, gets stuck in one location, any forward momentum hampered by irritating padding that exists for no reason but to prolong the moment before the gang can get on the road again. It's starting to pick up, but that was exactly The Walking Dead's problem. It would be meandering shite for most of a season and then pick up right at the end so you think 'shit, it's getting good again, I'll keep watching' and then next season it's back to trudging.

I don't think it's as bad as The Walking Dead (but then what is?), but the first half of the season definitely took too long to get going.

QuoteAnd having so little Eugene and Hitler is criminal. Nothing in the first half of the season, a couple of scenes in one episode, then nothing again until this week. So wasted!

You're not wrong there, the seventh episode was even entitled "Hilter" but he was only in for about five minutes at the beginning.

up_the_hampipe

I thought the past couple of episodes have been a return to form in terms of balancing comedy, dramatic tension and over the top violence. But now I've realised the finale is next week it does feel like a lot of this season has been wasted. I thought we had like three more eps left.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 22, 2018, 08:33:34 PM
I thought the past couple of episodes have been a return to form in terms of balancing comedy, dramatic tension and over the top violence. But now I've realised the finale is next week it does feel like a lot of this season has been wasted. I thought we had like three more eps left.

Understandably, as last season was 13 episodes, but they reduced it down to 10 this year.

mothman

Um, was it? I though they'd all been ten eps..? EDIT: S1 was 10, S2 was 13, S3 back to 10. Weird. Never noticed.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 22, 2018, 09:32:27 PM
Understandably, as last season was 13 episodes, but they reduced it down to 10 this year.

Does that mean cancellation is looming?

NoSleep

First season was 10, 2nd was 13, now back to 10.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 22, 2018, 09:55:44 PM
Does that mean cancellation is looming?

I don't think so, viewing figures have been down (they're circling just below the 1 million mark) but that's not too bad for AMC (not comparing it to the bizarrely popular The Walking Dead) so I'd expect a fourth season.

NoSleep

I've noticed shows now seem to be more flexible with season lengths, as well as moving away from appearing at a regular spot in the year (see Rick & Morty, Better Call Saul, GoT & Vikings, which is stretching season 5 over two years). Whatever's needed for the show seems to be the way forward.

BritishHobo

Fuck's sake, that was quite good and now I'm really excited for next season. It's got me in its clutches, fuck.

Small Man Big Horse

The last four episodes have all been pretty great, I'm really surprised and hope they can continue the quality in to next season. Really pleased they killed off everyone in Angelville too, if they hadn't I'm not sure I'd have been looking forward to next year at all.

mothman

Bit of an odd season, but then aren't they all? Looks like next season will be all about Jesse vs. The Grail in earnest. Masada - but without the Allfather; I wonder what else? I could see it ending with Death Valley - and all THAT entails. Then one more season after, if all goes well.

up_the_hampipe

Wow, what an excellent finale. Some very satisfying revenge sequences and brilliantly setting up the next season. Almost made the slow first half of the season worth it for the explosive pay-off.

AsparagusTrevor

Yeah, great finale with so much crammed in. I paused at one point for a bog-break and I thought the episode was nearly done and it was only half-way.

After a slow start, once we got past the half-way point I thought it picked up but I'm certainly glad to see the back of Angelville.

Alberon

Preacher has been renewed.

Production on a new ten episode season will start early next year in Australia. I've no idea if it's set there or they'll just be pretending its America.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/preacher-renewed-season-4-at-amc-1165033

Small Man Big Horse

I can't remember there being any bits set in Australia so it must be a way to save money somehow. I'm vaguely pleased by the news, the final couple of episodes saw the series starting to find it's feet so hopefully it'll continue along those lines.

up_the_hampipe

Weird that they took so long to renew it, seems like a long wait for the next one.

Mister Six

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 30, 2018, 09:12:00 PM
I can't remember there being any bits set in Australia so it must be a way to save money somehow. I'm vaguely pleased by the news, the final couple of episodes saw the series starting to find it's feet so hopefully it'll continue along those lines.

There's a bloke called Johnny Lee Wombat but he's American.

I assume it'll be a deserty stand-in for Arizona and the War in the Sun storyline. Just green-screen in Monument Valley and you're sorted.

mothman

There's also the Masada stuff which they're unlikely to film in Israel, so somewhere hot and dusty...

Moribunderast

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 30, 2018, 09:12:00 PM

Dammit, I was planning on getting into this show because I love me some Gilgun but it only starts to find it's feet towards the end of season 3?!

mothman

Not really. I guess s3 has more in common with the comic series than the previous two seasons, but they're still worth a watch.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Moribunderast on December 03, 2018, 08:54:55 PM
Dammit, I was planning on getting into this show because I love me some Gilgun but it only starts to find it's feet towards the end of season 3?!

Season 1 was my favourite. Get into it, bro. Gilgun is excellent, check out some of the press interviews (especially Comic Con panels), he's hilarious.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Moribunderast on December 03, 2018, 08:54:55 PM

There's good episodes along the way but it's very patchy until season 3, but then I'm a fan of the comics and love their blistering pace so you might not have the same issues.