Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:53:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TV personalities everyone seems to love but you DON'T

Started by Clownbaby, July 03, 2018, 01:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: newbridge on July 05, 2018, 04:09:33 AM
Jon Stewart has never done a single thing that has even made me crack a smile.

There's something about all of those US comedy news shows where the life is just sucked out of them. It's so shiny and false and over produced and slick that's quite ill at ease with what's being presented.

You could probably give me the script to an episode of Daily Show, Colbert Report, Last Week Tonight, etc. and I'd laugh like a drain.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Jockice on July 05, 2018, 02:01:01 PM
Didn't he have his own chatshow, which was apparently crap? Living proof if you ask me that being camp doesn't automatically mean you're funny.
Yeah, That Anthony Cotton Show, it was after Paul O'Grady defected to Channel 4 but before he undefected back again, so ITV produced this beggarman's version. It was almost hilariously bad. Cotton had won some celebrity singing contest not long before, so this gave him the confidence to open each show with some pop standard, it was worse than Shaun Williamson at that bowls championship and happened EVERY BROADCAST. Then they'd do hilarious pranks like bothering some audience member's boss by invading their office with a camera crew and asking them to come onto the show or something. The guests were shit, from what I remember the best they managed was Brian Blessed.

Hecate

Quote from: The Lurker on July 05, 2018, 03:55:55 PM
He was on a series of I'm A Celeb and get didn't along well with the other campmates. I'm sure I've read a few reports that he is very difficult to work with.

Yeah, you could tell he was very thin skinned and bitchy in the jungle. Came across like a right tart.

Quote from: Jockice on July 05, 2018, 02:01:01 PM
Didn't he have his own chatshow, which was apparently crap? Living proof if you ask me that being camp doesn't automatically mean you're funny.

When Paul o'grady deflected to channel 4, ITV said "we'll just make the same show but replace Paul O'Grady with Antony Cotton", and you can guess the rest.

edit: What Jumblegraws said, sorry didn't read the whole thread before I posted.

big al

Quote from: Bobtoo on July 03, 2018, 08:51:05 PM
I don't know if it's just me but I've developed a strong dislike for Nigella Lawson.
It's all the simpering she does to the camera that bothers me, also she doesn't offer alternatives for some harder to get ingredients.

Hecate

"If you're finding it difficult to source an old, rich, violent sugar daddy, you can achieve more or less the same effect by tying a belt around ones neck and spitting into a mirror.
At a push, the high grade cocaine can be replaced with low quality amphetamines, if you live in the north."

Brundle-Fly

Celebrity reality shows can act like the Grim Reaper snuffing out previous goodwill. I went right off Leo Sayer after his hissyfit with CBB security and don't want to hear Lionel Blair 'effing and jeffin' in a farmyard.

However, I quite warmed to Dapper on a recent CBB, similarly all that LE lot in the ITV Last Night In Vegas thing. What the fuck is that all about?

Clownbaby

OH I've just remembered Zach Braff. More of an actor than a TV personality but I get the same fake-cute thing from him that I get from Ellen DeGeneres. And, surprise surprise, he's also renowned as a low key bitch apparently. Always plays the adorkable characters though. I watched Scrubs for every single character but his.

he also reminds me of a lad from school who told me I would never ever get a boyfriend so I guess I'm childishly projecting something extra onto him

Bobtoo

Quote from: big al on July 05, 2018, 06:40:21 PM
It's all the simpering she does to the camera that bothers me, also she doesn't offer alternatives for some harder to get ingredients.

It's the simpering that annoys me too, and she comes across as fake.

paruses

Claudia Winkelmann - it's the mugging I can't bear.

Blue Jam

I saw Miles Jupp do standup once. He was good. I think his posh accent is natural- as a standup he plays up to it, exaggerating it and playing the out-of-touch, bumbling toff.

I used to think that Dr Christian Jessen seemed like a nice chap who did good work helping vulnerable and embarrassed people. Over the years though he's done more and more horribly unethical and exploitative TV shows (which I have watched anyway), publicly criticised NHS Boob Job Lady over her cosmetic surgery and the possibility that she might get an abortion (ie, morally judging a patient and possibly breaking GMC rules, cunty thing for a doctor to do in any case) and I have learned that he responds to criticism by setting his Twitter followers on people, like a medical Ricky Gervais. And he's forked out for a hair transplant but still can't seem to get a haircut that isn't offensively bad, like a medical Donald Trump.

The other two Embarrassing Illnesses doctors seem nicer but I bet they're evil too.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 17, 2018, 05:34:57 PM
I saw Miles Jupp do standup once. He was good. I think his posh accent is natural- as a standup he plays up to it, exaggerating it and playing the out-of-touch, bumbling toff.

I used to think that Dr Christian Jessen seemed like a nice chap who did good work helping vulnerable and embarrassed people. Over the years though he's done more and more horribly unethical and exploitative TV shows (which I have watched anyway), publicly criticised NHS Boob Job Lady over her cosmetic surgery and the possibility that she might get an abortion (ie, morally judging a patient and possibly breaking GMC rules) and I have learned that he responds to criticism by setting his Twitter followers on people, like a medical Ricky Gervais. And he's forked out for a hair transplant but still can't seem to get a haircut that isn't offensively bad, like a medical Donald Trump.

Jessen's lack of sideburns is very off putting on its own

manticore

I think maybe part of why I find Miles Jupp's accent on the radio annoying is that it's not that far away from mine and I think to myself 'God I hope nobody associates me with that'.

Never seen his stand up comedy so just watched this and it's excellent, well observed and quite understated. I (provisionally) take back my previous remarks and hang my head slightly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8T60D_JnL4

petril

he did a wonderful "Good Evening, Scotland" regular slot on BBC Scotland's The Live Floor Show. Exactly as you'd expect Miles Jupp to play a bit of standup for a specifically Scottish audience.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: petrilTanaka on July 17, 2018, 06:40:07 PM
he did a wonderful "Good Evening, Scotland" regular slot on BBC Scotland's The Live Floor Show. Exactly as you'd expect Miles Jupp to play a bit of standup for a specifically Scottish audience.

I used to watch that when I was 15 and living in the Midlands and it never occurred to me it was a Scottish production. Come to think of it the only guests I can remember are a pre-mock the week Frankie Boyle and Craig Hill in his leather kilt.

Sebastian Cobb

I used to think that Dr Christian Jessen seemed like a nice chap who did good work helping vulnerable and embarrassed people. Over the years though he's done more and more horribly unethical and exploitative TV shows (which I have watched anyway), publicly criticised NHS Boob Job Lady over her cosmetic surgery and the possibility that she might get an abortion (ie, morally judging a patient and possibly breaking GMC rules, cunty thing for a doctor to do in any case) and I have learned that he responds to criticism by setting his Twitter followers on people, like a medical Ricky Gervais. And he's forked out for a hair transplant but still can't seem to get a haircut that isn't offensively bad, like a medical Donald Trump.

The other two Embarrassing Illnesses doctors seem nicer but I bet they're evil too.

I thought he was unethical and exploitative from the second he started doing Supersize vs Super Skinny.

José

Quote from: paruses on July 17, 2018, 04:42:16 PM
Claudia Winkelmann - it's the mugging I can't bear.

she's like a drunk auntie trying to stick her hands down your pants.

Ornlu

Well one of them's called Pixie, so.

Hang on, her real name's Bernadette. What!

slicesofjim

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 05, 2018, 04:25:18 PM
There's something about all of those US comedy news shows where the life is just sucked out of them. It's so shiny and false and over produced and slick that's quite ill at ease with what's being presented.

You could probably give me the script to an episode of Daily Show, Colbert Report, Last Week Tonight, etc. and I'd laugh like a drain.

I always found the loud, hysterical whoopings of the audiences on those showd offputting, but mainly because I liked Stewart and Colbert at their pomp and wanted to listen to them, not hollering baboons. I thought the shiny slickness of the production reflected actual bombastic American news shows to work, but I can see why it put you off, I hate that style.