Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:01:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TV personalities everyone seems to love but you DON'T

Started by Clownbaby, July 03, 2018, 01:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

I've got a real soft spot for Graham Norton. He's the right side of annoying for me. Good at dealing with the more stiff guests on his show as well.

Tell you who I fuckin hate for the "look at me i'm camp" thing, Tom Allen. Such a smug lil shit. "If you haven't already guessed, I'M GAYYY!" prances across stage "And BAAALD!!!" I really don't enjoy comedians who make their main thing into pointing out obvious non-specific traits in themselves. Being gay and bald is not funny in and of itself man come on.

Also presenting alongside Tom Allen on Bake Off The Professionals, that guy who was on normal bake off (Liam Charles) is not presenter material but they're really pushing him to be, like they did with Nadia Hussain who just looks terrified all the time and is really boring

Dr Rock

Quote from: ASFTSN on July 04, 2018, 02:09:14 PM
I don't know what I'm talking about really - coz I'm a young idiot and have never watched a ton of telly - but is there not a slight case to be made for him making that sort of gay camp humour a tiny bit more "acceptable" on mainstream telly in the UK?  Not saying he was anywhere near the first obviously but I always got the impression he might have made some of the more conservative Radio Times readers out there a bit more used to the ol' gayness (albeit in one one of its cartoonish and reductive guises) in the 90's.

He was one of the first few openly gay people on TV using camp humour wasn't he? Or openly gay people at all when he was doing, what was it, I'll have to check - well wiki says Carnal Knowledge which was late-night in 1996 and So Graham Norton surprisingly started in 1998 (though that incarnation of his show stopped in 2002). Can't think of any openly gay TV people from back then. Not a big fan, but he doesn't annoy me either.

Neville Chamberlain

Julian Clary was gay back then, wasn't he?

I mean, he still is, but he was then as well.

I like Julian Clary - is he still on telly?

Dr Rock

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 04, 2018, 02:22:30 PM
Can't think of any openly gay TV people from back then. Not a big fan, but he doesn't annoy me either.

Thought of one, Jean-Paul Gaultier on Eurotrash. Started 1993.

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on July 04, 2018, 02:23:58 PM

Ooh, good one. Ten points.

Golden E. Pump

There's something off about that Alan Partridge guy who did the ABBA-themed quiz show in the 90s. If I recall there was an incident that involved an accidental shooting which led to the series' cancellation. He never really bounced back from that and I think the BBC had him sussed at that point.

C_Larence

Richard Coles - I hate him with a passion and switch off any show he turns up on (which was reaching Osman levels at one point) as soon as possible. Unbearably smug. HATE

Miriam Margolyes - I feel like she thinks she can get away with saying stupid and boring stuff because she's old, and since everyone else likes her I guess she's right, but I see straight through it. Also her name is spelt like it should rhyme with gargoyles but it doesn't. HATE

Used to hate Hardeep Singh Kohli but just realised that this is probably the first time I've thought about him in many years, and I haven't seen him on tv at all recently.

Brundle-Fly

All the contestants and host on A Question Of Sport. I don't dislike any of them but then I don't really care for sport in general, so my opinion is of no value here.

Although, I quite liked Duncan Goodhew and Jimmy Greaves though. Not forgetting Muhammed Ali, he was alright in my book.

Clownbaby

Quote from: C_Larence on July 04, 2018, 02:39:46 PM
Richard Coles - I hate him with a passion and switch off any show he turns up on (which was reaching Osman levels at one point) as soon as possible. Unbearably smug. HATE

Miriam Margolyes - I feel like she thinks she can get away with saying stupid and boring stuff because she's old, and since everyone else likes her I guess she's right, but I see straight through it. Also her name is spelt like it should rhyme with gargoyles but it doesn't. HATE

Used to hate Hardeep Singh Kohli but just realised that this is probably the first time I've thought about him in many years, and I haven't seen him on tv at all recently.

Can't stand Margolyes. She seems to go out of her way to be as repulsive looking and obnoxious as possible just cause she's old. Farting and wearing dirty trainers with a tattered old miu miu. Repulsive.

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on July 04, 2018, 02:23:58 PM

I like Julian Clary - is he still on telly?

Clary really did trailblaze in the 80s, although the press were constantly at him and got him blackballed for the Norman Lamont thing.

You can catch him narrating the Little Princess cartoon for toddlers on Channel 5 in the mornings, but he's mostly touring stand up now.

EOLAN

David Attenborough. Has anyone mentioned David Attenbrough.

Well he helped commission Monty Python's Flying Circus so I actually quite like him I guess. Is he the ultimate in TV personalities everyone loves.

Clownbaby

Quote from: EOLAN on July 04, 2018, 02:53:39 PM
David Attenborough. Has anyone mentioned David Attenbrough.

Well he helped commission Monty Python's Flying Circus so I actually quite like him I guess. Is he the ultimate in TV personalities everyone loves.

I know someone who hates David Attenborough. Hates his voice. I hate Morgan Freeman's voice.

EOLAN

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 04, 2018, 02:55:28 PM
I've know someone who hates David Attenborough. Hates his voice. I hate Morgan Freeman's voice.

Oh I am certainly on the hating Morgan Freeman gang as well.

Clownbaby

Quote from: EOLAN on July 04, 2018, 02:56:59 PM
Oh I am certainly on the hating Morgan Freeman gang as well.

Even before the allegations stuff I got a phoney vibe from him. Doesn't help when people really exaggerate how good he is. "MORGAN FREEMAN PLAYED GOD AND SO HE IS GOD"

the

Ooh you know who I really hate, Alan Bumsplat, he's ruined my otherwise faultless viewing of mid-evening MOR television snarl snarl impotence grave

doppelkorn

manticore

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 04, 2018, 02:43:56 PM
Can't stand Margolyes. She seems to go out of her way to be as repulsive looking and obnoxious as possible just cause she's old. Farting and wearing dirty trainers with a tattered old miu miu. Repulsive.

NO! I cannot let this pass. I'm not having Margolyes spoken about that, not that she would give a damn, but the principle of growing old without caring about the opinion of all the young and old prudes and chauvinists in the world is one I want to uphold.

This lane has taken a somewhat dark turn!

Remember when someone at ITV imagined that people really loved Adrian Chiles? To the point where they paid him nearly £10m over six years to jump ship from the BBC to ruin all of their flagship programming? Absolutely baffling.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: steve98 on July 04, 2018, 12:01:56 PM
Dawn French

I liked her a lot in the 80s and 90s but got bored of her in the 2000s. But she really impressed me when she appeared on Richard Herring's Leicester Square podcast, and made me laugh a great deal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGXWweRPCkw

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 04, 2018, 02:11:29 PM
Never really thought much of Jo Whiley. She's still better than Simon Mayo though.

Stuart Maconie is a helmet as well.

Agreed on all counts, but I especially dislike Whiley, the way she fawns over guests in interviews is sickening and she's always had poor taste in music.

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 04, 2018, 02:18:17 PM
Tell you who I fuckin hate for the "look at me i'm camp" thing, Tom Allen. Such a smug lil shit. "If you haven't already guessed, I'M GAYYY!" prances across stage "And BAAALD!!!" I really don't enjoy comedians who make their main thing into pointing out obvious non-specific traits in themselves. Being gay and bald is not funny in and of itself man come on.

Also presenting alongside Tom Allen on Bake Off The Professionals, that guy who was on normal bake off (Liam Charles) is not presenter material but they're really pushing him to be, like they did with Nadia Hussain who just looks terrified all the time and is really boring

I dislike Allen too, if only because I went to one of his Edinburgh previews a few years ago and he got all stroppy as the audience didn't laugh enough, which is something I really hate and will pretty much put me off any comedian who does that.

Clownbaby

Oh I knew Tom Allen was the type to get stroppy when people don't laugh. I knew it.

Clownbaby

Quote from: manticore on July 04, 2018, 03:15:18 PM
NO! I cannot let this pass. I'm not having Margolyes spoken about that, not that she would give a damn, but the principle of growing old without caring about the opinion of all the young and old prudes and chauvinists in the world is one I want to uphold.

This lane has taken a somewhat dark turn!

I'm all for growing old gracefully but I always get this feeling that Miriam Margolyes is exaggerating her less appealing features to annoy people. There is something about her not giving a shit that I admire but she also bugs the fuck out of me. Clean trainers lass. Invest in a new, non tattered miu miu.

jobotic

Sara Cox and Jo Whiley are terrible but I'd rather listen to ten of them for ten hours than one minute of one Chris Evans.

But then no one loves him do they? He's like Piers Morgan.

Mind you, I can't imaginne anyone saying "I'm a big fan of Jo Whiley, big fan."

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 04, 2018, 03:28:14 PM
Oh I knew Tom Allen was the type to get stroppy when people don't laugh. I knew it.

Shouldn't have done all them episodes of Home Improvement then should he, daft twat.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 04, 2018, 01:59:57 PM
Arguably, that may have been the case in his So/ V Graham Norton Channel 4 days of the early 00s but I don't think he plays that card so much now. He's even toned down the bitchiness. I really enjoy his BBC chatshow.

Talking of which, it makes you realise how Jonathan Ross has gone off the radar a bit these days compared to about ten years ago where he was all over everything.

Jonathan Ross isn't very good at dealing with recurring guests on his chat show. He tends to re-ask the same questions. One time Eminem was on and the first time it was a good interview, 2 years later he was on again and Jonathan Ross was asking the exact same questions. You could see Em getting deja vu, trying to answer "so you're a rapper, do you ever sing?" Differently to how he did last time

Quote from: jobotic on July 04, 2018, 03:34:17 PM
Sara Cox and Jo Whiley are terrible but I'd rather listen to ten of them for ten hours than one minute of one Chris Evans.

But then no one loves him do they? He's like Piers Morgan.

Mind you, I can't imaginne anyone saying "I'm a big fan of Jo Whiley, big fan."

Evans was alright when he first made his comeback on Radio 2 on the drivetime slot and was reasonably humble. Then Wogan stepped down from Breakfast and he began his descent back into the insufferable cunt we all knew and hated in the 90s.

manticore

Also it's Jon Richardson. Jon, the pretentious spelling. It would really annoy him with his celebrated obsessive-compulsive personality disorder to be miswritten in such a way, but perhaps that's the point.

I can't really bring myself to actually hate many of the people mentioned here. I think most of them would be perfectly fine to take tea with.

Clownbaby

Quote from: manticore on July 04, 2018, 04:09:21 PM
Also it's Jon Richardson. Jon, the pretentious spelling. It would really annoy him with his celebrated obsessive-compulsive personality disorder to be miswritten in such a way, but perhaps that's the point.

I can't really bring myself to actually hate many of the people mentioned here. I think most of them would be perfectly fine to take tea with.

Most of it (with me anyway) is more a dislike of TV personalities and the person being "on" than anything. I bet even Piers Morgan is a lot more ordinary when he's just at home, or if you're his friend.

Jockice

I don't even know who Tom Allen is but if he's anything like his namesakes Keith and Woody, he's a twat

steve98

Quote from: manticore on July 04, 2018, 04:09:21 PM

Not the Margoyle hag though: one just knows she'd be proudly pickin' her nose and consuming the crud, as one tried to eat, bluurrgh.

monkfromhavana

I'm not a fan, but what makes Jon Richardson so unlikeable? Seems like a standard panel show drone.

Clownbaby

QuoteI'm not a fan, but what makes Jon Richardson so unlikeable? Seems like a standard panel show drone.

Posted by: steve98« on: Today at 04:25:47 PM »

Insert Quote

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 04, 2018, 10:01:14 AM
I went off him a bit after an episode of 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown where he kept making smug low key comments about Nikki Grahame being stupid. I felt a bit sorry for her cause it was going over her head a bit and she actually seemed to be up for a laugh on the show, meanwhile Jon was saying things like "be careful with leaky waterbottles near a plug, there's a risk of elocution hurr hurrrr" (get it? Because she's COMMON and doesn't talk properly!) Just rubbed me up the wrong way a bit. I stared thinking he might actually be a sly little shite if he decides he doesn't like you. Also his worrying about things schtick gets old fast

Just putting my Jon Richardson thing up here. Not speakin for anyone else but I just think his schtick is a bit depressing and I get a hint of thinly veiled unpleasantness from him. Sometimes it's hard to put your finger on