Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:17:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Enjoyably Hideous Graphics

Started by Clownbaby, July 03, 2018, 03:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

I really love Rugrats: Search for Reptar because of its shit graphics. It's just so hauntingly empty and the really jarring muffled voice/sound effects crack me up. Absolute hot mess of a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbeS6Dk8nf8

Check out this mess Enviro_Bear https://youtu.be/x06KCWwsDBI?t=374

This run made me laugh lots.

Twed

How about the N64 South Park game?

https://youtu.be/xnINbs_mo9I?t=6414

Bubsy 3D?

https://youtu.be/q8by89COcRg?t=1134

Neither of these games are enjoyable (unless you're Ulillillia) but I definitely enjoy how ugly they are.

There was a genuine madness for a while where the first image would be considered better than the second:

I really can't imagine being friends with somebody who prefers the first image. I'd always be fighting the urge to slap them.

madhair60

That fuckin Rugrats game is terrifying!

AsparagusTrevor

The transition to 3D graphics produced some terrible graphics, not to mention awful gameplay.

Quote from: Twed on July 03, 2018, 05:37:31 PM

https://youtu.be/xnINbs_mo9I?t=6414
Surprisingly the same engine and developers as Turok 2, which was much better looking and a far better game.

machotrouts

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 03, 2018, 03:42:30 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbeS6Dk8nf8

Completely unrealistic. Tommy should have died from that jump down the stairs at 1:09. If the developers had ANY fucking integrity there'd be a dead baby splattered across the floor for the remaining 3 and a half minutes of that video

St_Eddie

There was a genuine madness for a while where the first image would be considered better than the second:

I really can't imagine being friends with somebody who prefers the first image. I'd always be fighting the urge to slap them.

From the 'Identify a probably shit PC game I played as a child' thread...

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 14, 2018, 06:12:33 PM
On the topic of early 3D graphics aging badly; compare the gorgeous hand-drawn art by Bill Tiller, 2D visuals of The Curse of Monkey Island, with its sequel Escape From Monkey Island, which was released a full 3 years later...

The primitive graphics of the 20th century, as seen in The Curse of Monkey Island (1997).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Behold the dawn of the new millennium and the technically superior 3D graphics of Escape From Monkey Island (2000).  That's... progress?

I bought this game after it was awarded 90% by a magazine. True.

Clownbaby

Speaking of horrible gameplay,  anyone think the original PS1 Tomb Raider games were near impossible to play? Why did you have to turn Lara before going in a certain direction when Crash Bandicoot and multiple other games had already cracked proper running? Also she wouldn't fuckin pull levers unless you were in a  very specific position

Kelvin

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 04, 2018, 01:42:07 PM
I bought this game after it was awarded 90% by a magazine. True.

Yeah, I stopped buying the South Park Sticker Albums after that debacle.

Malcy

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 04, 2018, 01:49:13 PM
Speaking of horrible gameplay,  anyone think the original PS1 Tomb Raider games were near impossible to play? Why did you have to turn Lara before going in a certain direction when Crash Bandicoot and multiple other games had already cracked proper running? Also she wouldn't fuckin pull levers unless you were in a  very specific position

I think it was just a matter of the camera arising up at times and making you misjudge jumps etc. The Anniversary remake was really good though. Improved that a lot.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Malcy on July 04, 2018, 02:41:08 PM
I think it was just a matter of the camera arising up at times and making you misjudge jumps etc. The Anniversary remake was really good though. Improved that a lot.

The clunky rotating before running tho... yeah the Anniversary remake was great because it was actually playable

boki

Malcy

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 04, 2018, 02:46:09 PM
The clunky rotating before running tho... yeah the Anniversary remake was great because it was actually playable

It made me wonder how a much younger and not that much experienced with that type of game player managed to finish it. I struggled with Anniversary.

I grew up on Kings Quest, Round 42, Frogger etc. Graphics mean nothing to me. I've always been about gameplay. I can go from GTAV to Arnold Palmer golf in my Mega Drive in the same day!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Malcy on July 04, 2018, 03:04:16 PM
...I can go from GTAV to Arnold Palmer golf in my Mega Drive in the same day!

I played Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf an awful lot back in the day.  Great game.

My pro-golf tip; hit the ball 100 times on the first hole of any course without holing out, then enter up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, and A on the game over screen, for a fantastical surprise!

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 04, 2018, 03:23:48 PM
My pro-golf tip; hit the ball 100 times on the first hole of any course without holing out, then enter up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, and A on the game over screen, for a fantastical surprise!
Ball is in parking lot. Would you like to play again?

Malcy

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 04, 2018, 03:23:48 PM
I played Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf an awful lot back in the day.  Great game.

Jammin'!

My brother got me a Mega Drive for Xmas so I'm going to start building up a collection of games. Robocop Vs Terminator top of the list!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Malcy on July 04, 2018, 03:29:19 PM
My brother got me a Mega Drive for Xmas so I'm going to start building up a collection of games. Robocop Vs Terminator top of the list!

Another great game!

Also another pro-tip (which became an automatic procedure, when booting the game up as a kid):  Pause the game and enter C B A B B A B B C B B C C B B C B C A C C A A A B B B A C A, to enable an extra gory mode!

Quote from: Malcy on July 04, 2018, 03:29:19 PM
Jammin'!

That reminds me of two games to add to your collection; Skitchin' and Toejam & Earl.

Malcy

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 04, 2018, 04:14:29 PM
Another great game!

Also another pro-tip (which became an automatic procedure, when booting the game up as a kid):  Pause the game and enter C B A B B A B B C B B C C B B C B C A C C A A A B B B A C A, to enable an extra gory mode!

That reminds me of two games to add to your collection; Skitchin' and Toejam & Earl.

EXTRA GORY?! Thought that was as gory as games got back then! ToeJam & Earl! Another one added to the list.

It's odd the amount of older games I try to play and find really difficult as an adult buy flew through as a child. Lemmings completely defeated me at first recently but I'm getting there!

I remember playing Earthworm Jim 20 odd years ago at a friend's house and reached the final level only for his brother to come in and switch it off. Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!

We threw him down a flight if stairs in retaliation. 99% accident. 1% ah well!

Anyone else think that the drive to make games LOOK fantastic is taking away from the gameplay? Most of the newer games I play might look amazing but they suffer from being bored of them after an hour or two.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Malcy on July 04, 2018, 04:38:42 PM
Anyone else think that the drive to make games LOOK fantastic is taking away from the gameplay? Most of the newer games I play might look amazing but they suffer from being bored of them after an hour or two.

Possibly.  I imagine that there's a reason that I mostly stick to retro games and that most of the new games which I play are from the niche genre of point & click adventures.

Malcy

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 04, 2018, 04:49:22 PM
Possibly.  I imagine that there's a reason that I mostly stick to retro games and that most of the new games which I play are from the niche genre of point & click adventures.

Have you played The Silent Age. Point and click with a great story. I really want to adapt it into a script but it's like why although the first Tomb Raider is a great story. No one is interested in a film with a handful of characters that only interact for 5 mins.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Malcy on July 04, 2018, 05:05:11 PM
Have you played The Silent Age. Point and click with a great story.

I haven't!  In fact, I've never heard of it, which is unusual given my love of the genre.  However, due to your recommendation, I shall definitely check it out now.  Thank you.

Lemming

Malcy

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 04, 2018, 05:09:33 PM
I haven't!  In fact, I've never heard of it, which is unusual given my love of the genre.  However, due to your recommendation, I shall definitely check it out now.  Thank you.

It's brilliant. I could only get episodes 1 on my iPad. So 2 wasn't compatible but I downloaded a PC version and finally finished it!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Malcy on July 04, 2018, 05:17:08 PM
It's brilliant. I could only get episodes 1 on my iPad. So 2 wasn't compatible but I downloaded a PC version and finally finished it!

I'm currently playing through Sanitarium but I'll definitely move this up the list and play it as my next game.

Old Nehamkin

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone on PS1 is a bad graphics classic:

QDRPHNC

I always feel a bit bad for the devs looking back on these early shitty 3D games. Someone had to do it first, you know?

Twed

Quote from: boki on July 04, 2018, 02:47:46 PM
Don't have nightmares
I don't think stuff like that is hideous, personally. It's neat and tidy and tasteful. More timeless than some of the hideousness posted here from 15 years later. It's these grotesque, ambitious misunderstandings of the medium that truly deserve to be called hideous.

Twed

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on July 04, 2018, 05:36:49 PM
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone on PS1 is a bad graphics classic:

Do you suppose the necks are covered up in most instances by beard or hands on purpose? Look at the two necks that aren't covered up. Nightmare.

Lemming

What's happening with the person on the second row, second from the left? Their head is an impossible shape, what's going on? My brain can't comprehend what that's even meant to be representing.

The same awesome "let's just stick photos of real people's faces onto low poly models" technique was used to great effect in JACKIE CHAN STUNTMASTER: