Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:53:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Daria reboot

Started by chveik, July 04, 2018, 12:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

So, as you may have already heard, MTV is going to bring back Daria for a new series. This is a reboot, which will be called 'Daria and Jodie'. I really don't think it's such a good idea. It could have been decent if they had, at the time, followed the adventures of Daria and Jane in college, but I don't see how it could be relevant now. The new episodes of Beavis and Butt-Head were rather good but I think these series belong to the nineties. I really love Daria and I don't want its legacy to be tarnished by some executives. Why can't the networks invest in new ideas?

Captain Z

She's been great in Bojack Horseman so why not.

MojoJojo

Quote from: chveik on July 04, 2018, 12:10:19 AMWhy can't the networks invest in new ideas?

Because they lose money.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Are the youth of today anything like Daria? I know she was supposed to be an outsider among her peers, but the whole disaffected cynical slacker archetype seems very '90s indeed. I'm reminded of the 21 Jump Street film, in which the heroes are shocked to discover that teenagers' notions of cool have completely inverted since they were in school.

Chriddof

I once saw one of those Fine Bros "React" videos where modern day teenagers had to guess 90s cartoons from the theme songs alone, and one girl sort of half-recognised the character, saying "She's like a Tumblr user before Tumblr existed".

Clownbaby

A lot of people my age (21) seem to have come back round to the 90s thing cause it's aesthetic, so it might work, but it's not the outsiders who dress/behave like Daria anymore. A lot of the proper fake tan foundation-on-the-lips lasses from school now wear rucksacks with aliens on them, wallow in their own "weirdness" and brag about how sarcastic they are so maybe Daria could call this particular type of person out, who used to sneer at the real "Darias" but now wear goth chokers and fish nets cause they've decided they like them now. I bet they won't go for this angle though,  they'll probably try to replicate the original as closely as possible like with Beavis and Butthead which worked better for them because they're not quite people, they're sort of like little grotesque sniggering imps anyway

buzby

Quote from: chveik on July 04, 2018, 12:10:19 AM
So, as you may have already heard, MTV is going to bring back Daria for a new series. This is a reboot, which will be called 'Daria and Jodie'. I really don't think it's such a good idea. It could have been decent if they had, at the time, followed the adventures of Daria and Jane in college, but I don't see how it could be relevant now. The new episodes of Beavis and Butt-Head were rather good but I think these series belong to the nineties. I really love Daria and I don't want its legacy to be tarnished by some executives.
+1

The title would suggest that rather than Jane being her confidante this time it's going to be Jodie, which will no doubt bring a load of anti-diversity loons into the fray. That's sure to be great.

They are also want to bring back The Real World and an Aeon Flux live-action series. All these are being pitched at steaming services rather than being shown on MTV.

The real question is when will we be getting  Dog Boy and Stick Figure Theatre reboots?

Blumf

Quote from: buzby on July 04, 2018, 01:42:50 PM
They are also want to bring back ... an Aeon Flux live-action series.

Wwwwwwhhhhyyyyyy?!!!! 90% of Aeon Flux's purpose was the animation.

It sounds like they want to try an resuscitate that god-awful, point missing film. Idiots!

The real question is when will we be getting  Dog Boy and Stick Figure Theatre reboots?

Liquid Television was brought back a few years ago, as a kind of web TV channel thing. I think Adult Swim was (still is) doing that kind of thing better though, so was a bit superfluous.

Icehaven

What next, Migraine Boy back as Anxiety and Depression Man?

Ghost World was pretty much Daria the movie.

New Jack

Tags: sick sad world

Captain Crunch

It does sound a bit depressing but not unexpected considering this 20 year tribute thing last year.

I still wish the Mystik Spiral spin-off had seen the light of day.