Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:00:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bond villain strikes again, again?

Started by Isnt Anything, July 04, 2018, 05:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isnt Anything

Maybe maybe not but just in case and since the old thread
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,65721.0.html
is now up to 76 pages i thought it best to make a new one for this -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-44707052

Quoted in full in case of later changes

Quote'Major incident' declared after two collapse in Wiltshire
2 hours ago

A man and woman feared to have been exposed to an unknown substance are in a critical condition, prompting police to declare a major incident.

The pair, both in their 40s, were found unconscious in Amesbury, Wiltshire, on Saturday.

Officers initially thought the collapse was drugs-related but have since said they are "open-minded" as to the cause.

Wiltshire Police said further tests on the substance were being carried out in a bid to identify it.

While it was not clear if a crime had been committed, the force said, a number of scenes in Amesbury and Salisbury known to have been frequented by the couple had been cordoned off.

"It was initially believed that the two patients fell ill after using possibly heroin or crack cocaine from a contaminated batch of drugs," the force said.

"They are both currently receiving treatment for suspected exposure to an unknown substance at Salisbury District Hospital," it added.

Public Health England (PHE) said it did not believe there was a "significant health risk" to the wider public, although its advice was being continually assessed.

Officials said the hospital was "open as usual" and advised patients to attend routine appointments unless contacted and advised to do otherwise.

Amesbury is about ten miles from Salisbury, where former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and daughter Yulia were poisoned by a suspected military nerve agent in March.

Obviously it is the declaration of a 'major incident' that gives one pause.

Paul Calf

The intersection of 'people who might have bought dodgy crack' and 'people who could be involved in a major international incident' is pretty small, I'd have thought.

Isnt Anything

Alberon

They've had them since Saturday so the fact they're declaring a 'major incident' now suggests they do have some idea what the substance is. You don't pull the trigger on an announcement like that without having good reason.

Isnt Anything

Oh i missed that, duh. even more intriguing then.

Heres the Graun version. again quoted in full.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jul/04/wiltshire-unknown-substance-leaves-pair-critically-ill-in-salisbury-hospital

QuoteWiltshire: 'unknown substance' leaves pair critically ill in Salisbury hospital

Major incident declared and parts of Amesbury cordoned off after couple were initially thought to have taken tainted drugs

Steven Morris in Amesbury and agencies
@stevenmorris20

Wed 4 Jul 2018 03.33 BST
First published on Wed 4 Jul 2018 02.18 BST

Caption: A police car waits near the flat on Muggleton Road in Amesbury where two people were apparently found unconscious

A major incident has been declared in Wiltshire after it was suspected two people might have been exposed to an unknown substance in Amesbury.

The man and woman, both in their 40s, were in a critical condition at Salisbury district hospital, Wiltshire police said.

A number of scenes in the Amesbury and Salisbury area were cordoned off as a precaution, although the force said it was not yet clear if they were the victims of a crime.

One of the sites cordoned off and guarded by three officers was the town's baptist church, a modern red brick building, a few minutes' drive away from the address where the man and woman were found. Local radio station Spire FM reported that Queen Elizabeth Gardens in the centre of Salisbury had also been sealed off as part of the investigation.

Public Health England (PHE) advised that it did not believe there to be a "significant health risk" to the wider public, although its advice was being continually assessed.

The incident comes after the former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter, Yulia, were left poisoned by a suspected military nerve agent in Salisbury, around eight miles from Amesbury, in March.

Police said the man and woman were found unconscious at an address in Muggleton Road on Saturday evening and it was initially believed that they had taken illegal drugs, however further tests were being carried out. The address is thought to be on a new housing development on the southern edge of the town, which lies close to Stonehenge.

Muggleton Road is a brand new Bloor Homes development. A police officer was posted outside one of the homes on Wednesday morning, though no cordon was in place.

A police statement said: "Wiltshire police and partners have this evening declared a major incident after it is suspected that two people might have been exposed to an unknown substance in Amesbury.

"Emergency services were called to an address in Muggleton Road, Amesbury on Saturday evening [30 June] after a man and woman, both in their 40s, were found unconscious in a property.

"They are both currently receiving treatment for suspected exposure to an unknown substance at Salisbury district hospital. They are both in a critical condition.

"It was initially believed that the two patients fell ill after using possibly heroin or crack cocaine from a contaminated batch of drugs.

"However, further testing is now ongoing to establish the substance which led to these patients becoming ill and we are keeping an open mind as to the circumstances surrounding this incident."

steven morris
(@stevenmorris20)
Amesbury incident - police cordon at the baptist church. pic.twitter.com/JRzIBH2Lu2
July 4, 2018

A number of scenes believed to be areas they frequented before they fell ill were cordoned off overnight. There was no cordon at the ambulance station at Amesbury.

Meanwhile, there was an increased police presence in and around Amesbury and Salisbury.

Salisbury district hospital was "open as usual" and officials advised people to attend routine appointments unless contacted to do otherwise.

A PHE spokesman said: "The current advice from PHE England, based upon the number of casualties affected, is that it is not believed that there is a significant health risk to the wider public. This will be continually assessed as further information becomes known."

Skripal, 67, and his daughter, 33, were left in a critical condition after they were found slumped on a bench in Salisbury city centre on 4 March. They spent weeks in Salisbury district hospital where they were saved by treatment for suspected exposure to the Russian-created nerve agent novichok.The British government has accused Russia of being behind the attack. Sergei Skripal settled in the UK after a spy swap.

The Press Association contributed to this report

biggytitbo

Quick, the World Cup in Russia is going far too well...

Isnt Anything

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 04, 2018, 06:44:26 AM
The intersection of 'people who might have bought dodgy crack' and 'people who could be involved in a major international incident' is pretty small, I'd have thought.

Also add to that Venn diagram 'people who attend baptist church'

then again all the kids at my school who went to the local baptist church were doing the old sex and drugs long before the rest of us.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 04, 2018, 07:04:44 AM
Errr i would have thought that if someone is going around Wiltshire poisoning people that are not ex-Russian spies then it rather goes against the Russia theory.

Depends who they are and how they got contaminated.

biggytitbo

Yeah but it's not like the accusation needs to make logical sense for Russia to get accused. Just the fact it's even mentioned inn the same breath as Skripal  might give us an idea where this might be going.

jobotic

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 04, 2018, 07:04:44 AM

It is going well, it's true.

You've all done such a good job.

shiftwork2

biggytitbo

Quote from: shiftwork2 on July 04, 2018, 07:33:52 AM
Oh biggy.

Think you might be giving the likes of Boris Johnson, Gavin Williamson and most of the British media too much credit.

Alberon

Let's find out who this couple are before we go down the conspiracy rabbit hole. If it's just Mr and Mrs Crackhead then there is probably no connection. If they're Russian then there is a link, but whether that link was Putin or a false-flag attack would probably generate another 70 page thread.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Alberon on July 04, 2018, 08:12:43 AM
Let's find out who this couple are before we go down the conspiracy rabbit hole. If it's just Mr and Mrs Crackhead then there is probably no connection. If they're Russian then there is a link, but whether that link was Putin or a false-flag attack would probably generate another 70 page thread.

Makes me wonder why this is on the front page of numerous news sites if its just Mr and Mrs Crackhead.

Norton Canes

Let's find out who this couple are before we go down the conspiracy rabbit hole. If it's just Mr and Mrs Crackhead then there is probably no connection

Well, yes, the connection is that they also got poisoned by nerve gas. Would laugh if this was a lone randomly-nerve-gas-poisoning nutter.

[I say laugh, I mean utter an ironic chuckle, obv]

BlodwynPig

Baptist, probably not Russian.

This is just heat exhaustion.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 04, 2018, 12:37:02 PM
Well, yes, the connection is that they also got poisoned by nerve gas. Would laugh if this was a lone randomly-nerve-gas-poisoning nutter.

[I say laugh, I mean utter an ironic chuckle, obv]

It doesn't say anywhere they got poisoned by nerve gas does it? The BBC and Guardian et al are just massively pushing the Skripal angle for the usual reasons.

Norton Canes

Well I'm only going with nerve gas because it's now a 'major incident', if that counts as a 'usual reason'.

Crisps?

Russia's already being dealt with and we're still economically dependent on Chinese human rights abuse, so this new incident on the doorstep of the UK's top germ warfare factory was probably North Korea, making enemies again for no reason like last year.

If we get past Russia in the World Cup semi-final, we'll probably find they did the Skripals too.

Golden E. Pump

What if they've just overdosed on something that everyone loves and would refuse to condemn? Like Mario Kart.

biggytitbo

I'm thinking with each stage we get to in the World Cup there'll be another incident, culminating in us launching nukes at Moscow if we reach the final.

Blumf

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 04, 2018, 12:55:30 PM
I'm thinking with each stage we get to in the World Cup there'll be another incident, culminating in us launching nukes at Moscow if we reach the final.

Intercontinental Ballistic Penalty Shoot-Out

Noonling

What if a drug dealer just got his bag of Novichok and his bag of brick dust mixed up?

Dex Sawash

biggytitbo

Actually won't England meet Russia in the semi-final if we both win? That will be interesting.

The theory that they're preparing to unveil Sergei Skripal to take one of our penalties if it goes to a shootout against Russia looks more and more likely imho.

imitationleather

Quote from: Noonling on July 04, 2018, 01:11:16 PM
What if a drug dealer just got his bag of Novichok and his bag of brick dust mixed up?

I think it's a terrible slur on the fine men and women working in the drugs industry to suggest they could be that sloppy.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 04, 2018, 08:18:36 AM

Makes me wonder why this is on the front page of numerous news sites if its just Mr and Mrs Crackhead.

It's July.

Blumf

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 04, 2018, 01:12:12 PM
The theory that they're preparing to unveil Sergei Skripal to take one of our penalties if it goes to a shootout against Russia looks more and more likely imho.

"Aaah, controlled precursors for goalposts"

Alberon

Quote from: Noonling on July 04, 2018, 01:11:16 PM

Mystery solved!

I've got to be careful though. I keep my supply of pestilence in milk bottles on my float, and once I accidentally got the milk and pestilence mixed up. It took me a while to build up the round again after that, I can tell you. I am a dafty.

JohnnyCouncil

"nearby Porton Down government defence laboratory."

Could it be that this is the problem?