Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:29:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bond villain strikes again, again?

Started by Isnt Anything, July 04, 2018, 05:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Quote from: Pdine on July 05, 2018, 02:06:14 PM
Again, could be either. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: when there is so much uncertainty, and no decently minimal theory, only the prejudiced choose a side.

It's the British government and media who are saying Russia definitely did it.

Pdine

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 05, 2018, 02:09:18 PM

It's the British government and media who are saying Russia definitely did it.

Biggy, come on... You clearly favour a particular explanation. Don't be disingenuous.

biggytitbo

I'm opposing the British governments position, yes.

Pdine

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 05, 2018, 02:16:59 PM
I'm opposing the British governments position, yes.

Oh yes, sure. I'm not saying you're a Putin shill, just that you are starting from an assumption that our government is lying and rating/interpreting evidence accordingly.

biggytitbo

Frank gardner is rapidly corrected by regular bullshit spouting government propagandist -

I think Novichok will oscillate between been easily washed away and been highly resistant whilst they keep their options open about what story they want us to buy, is it a) reckless leftover from the vicious Skripal attack b) some new attack or something else, keep your options open guys.

BlodwynPig

any evidence of higher that normal vermin deaths in the vicinity of the park over the last months?

Pdine

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 05, 2018, 02:45:39 PM
any evidence of higher that normal vermin deaths in the vicinity of the park over the last months?

Hard to tell if they were higher than normal now that they're dead. Kind thought though - nice one.

biggytitbo

Quotealex thomson

Worth noting at this point that the British Govt has yet to provide any evidence connecting Novichok poisoning of Skripals to the Russian Govt, still less the latest contamination.

https://twitter.com/alextomo/status/1014834455851208706

Alex Thompson has definetly been one of the better mainstream journos the last few months, and he points out there that the British gov have still failed to provide any evidence linking the Skripal attack to the Russians, beyond their 'of a type developed by' bullshit. Yet Sajid Javid has been flinging the accusations round left right and centre, in complete defiance of diplomacy norms not to mention basic decorum.

notjosh

Don't worry, they've put a bag over the crime scene. Nice of them to give the policeman a chair to sit down next to the horrible nerve agent too, can't think why he's not using it.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jul/05/homeless-hostel-in-salisbury-evacuated-after-novichok-poisoning

BlodwynPig

what a chump. "for Queen and Country, mate, just stand there for a few hours, mate. First day on the job? You'll be fine, easy peasy, feeling queasy"

Buelligan

Hate to be boring about this Bigs but what would be the logic in keeping the Skripals under forced arrest?  The only reason for doing it I can see, given that they appear to be victims in all of this, is if they are suspected in being complicit and accidentally exposed.  Is there another reason that you're aware of?  I wouldn't put anything past the British Government and its spies but in each and every case surely there must be some logic, some end game?

I can see a goal, the goal of blackening the reputation of the Russian Government, is apparent in the poisonings but what is the purpose, if that was the case, in imprisoning the Skripals?  Wouldn't it be more convincing if they were witnessing publicly?

BlodwynPig

slightly more photogenic pictures being used by the BBC now

"he was really gearing up to watch the quarter final match against Sweden", a friend told the BBC, "England football team is everything to him since he was a little kid. Those Russians have robbed him of that now. I would ask Theresa May to take urgent action as soon as possible."

Crisps?

Hasn't everything they've said been controlled and released by the government? That's a reason to keep them under tight control (if they're not willingly going along with the UK government version). Otherwise, if they back up the government's version, why indeed have they not just freely given interviews or a press conference to the world's media?

Buelligan

If it's being done to keep them silent, wouldn't it have been better just to let them die?  Unless, of course, there never was any poisoning and they are not even the real Skripals...  It's so easy to speculate.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on July 05, 2018, 04:32:44 PM
If it's being done to keep them silent, wouldn't it have been better just to let them die?  Unless, of course, there never was any poisoning and they are not even the real Skripals...  It's so easy to speculate.

Are we not human? This separation between state and public is awful imho. "Concealing our secrets from those who would do us harm". Lift the veil I say, let chaos prevail.

Buelligan

I agree to an extent but how to do it if the Skripals really do want to remain private - should they be dragged before the mob to be examined, willing or no?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Buelligan on July 05, 2018, 04:32:44 PM

I'm not against the idea it was staged, but whatever I think the idea to keep them tucked away is just to avoid any scrutiny of their gossamer thin tale. Aside fron the determination it was a variety of Novochik (although still not totally clear what variety) are there any reliable facts in this case that can be independently validated?

Alberon

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 05, 2018, 04:59:20 PM

I'm not against the idea it was staged, but whatever I think the idea to keep them tucked away is just to avoid any scrutiny of their gossamer thin tale. Aside fron the determination it was a variety of Novochik (although still not totally clear what variety) are there any reliable facts in this case that can be independently validated?

None that have been made public and there's the problem with this story. It's quite clear that whatever happened we've not been told a tenth of it.

Which makes speculation downright problematic at best. We've all got our own favourite culprits which we're leaning towards, but absolutely no way of knowing whose right.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Buelligan on July 05, 2018, 04:45:26 PM
I agree to an extent but how to do it if the Skripals really do want to remain private - should they be dragged before the mob to be examined, willing or no?

And Nick Bailey doesn't want to  speak either. But its not just  that, we haven't even had a journalist or independent party even speak directly to them, to ask the most basic of questions- are you ok, how are you been treated, are you free to come and go etc

Alberon

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 05, 2018, 05:03:08 PM

And Nick Bailey doesn't want to  speak either. But its not just  that, we haven't even had a journalist or independent party even speak directly to them, to ask the most basic of questions- are you ok, how are you been treated, are you free to come and go etc

But what do you do if they genuinely don't want to talk to the press? Force them?

Crisps?

Quote from: Buelligan on July 05, 2018, 04:45:26 PM

On a massive geopolitical issue poisoning diplomatic and other relations between multiple countries I don't think it's that unreasonable they spend an hour answering some questions from the world's (ie, not just UK/US/controlled) press before returning to a life of anonymity.

If they genuinely back up the UK government's line, and would show up the Russians (who claim Yulia wants to return home) as liars, I don't see why the UK government wouldn't be all for that.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Alberon on July 05, 2018, 05:05:25 PM
But what do you do if they genuinely don't want to talk to the press? Force them?

Seeing as he is a stooge, yes.

ersatz99

But they could give full interviews and you still wouldn't believe whatever they'd said if it didn't fit the theory you've suscribed to.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: ersatz99 on July 05, 2018, 05:33:31 PM
But they could give full interviews and you still wouldn't believe whatever they'd said if it didn't fit the theory you've suscribed to.

No, of course not! Don't be daft. *hey guys, another stooge in da house* ;)

Twed

ZoyzaSorris

What in allahs name is this utter bollocks?

Isnt Anything

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on July 05, 2018, 10:20:02 PM
What in allahs name is this utter bollocks?

the event itself or this awful thread ?

which i will be coming back to at some point when i have enough time to bang my head on a wall

Buelligan

Quote from: Crisps? on July 05, 2018, 05:12:35 PM
On a massive geopolitical issue poisoning diplomatic and other relations between multiple countries I don't think it's that unreasonable they spend an hour answering some questions from the world's (ie, not just UK/US/controlled) press before returning to a life of anonymity.

If they genuinely back up the UK government's line, and would show up the Russians (who claim Yulia wants to return home) as liars, I don't see why the UK government wouldn't be all for that.

And what about Yulia (or her father)?  If you were either one and let's say, you already had experienced being poisoned by someone (maybe you're not even sure who), would you want to wade in and say your bit or would you prefer to be allowed to remain silent and avoid saying something that might make you even more of a target?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Buelligan on July 05, 2018, 10:53:20 PM
And what about Yulia (or her father)?  If you were either one and let's say, you already had experienced being poisoned by someone (maybe you're not even sure who), would you want to wade in and say your bit or would you prefer to be allowed to remain silent and avoid saying something that might make you even more of a target?

So do you think its unreasonable, if thwy are free people, for some independent third party just to talk to them and ask some basic questions about their welfare and what happened? I'm not asking she gets her tits out for a centre spread in the sun.

biggytitbo

In the usual merrygoround of falae stories fed to the press, they're reporting today the Novochik was on a cigarette butt. Why would it be on a cigarette butt 12 miles away from where  the skripal where poisoned by their door handle? And how did it survive 4 months of rain, snow and sun?