Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:50:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bond villain strikes again, again?

Started by Isnt Anything, July 04, 2018, 05:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Charlie Rowley has been discharged from hospital https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44906333

I wonder if, like the first 3 victims, he will now complety disappear?

gib

They will gradually reduce his resolution until he does.

biggytitbo

As expected Rowley goes into the same black hole as the Skripals -

QuoteNovichok victim Charlie Rowley is under police guard at a secret ­location after his hospital release.

The 45-year-old,who spent 20 days in intensive care battling the nerve agent, is helping with inquiries into the poisoning..

Charlie's pal Sam Hobson said: "He's gone into protective custody. I'm glad he's well enough to be released."

Protective custody from what? Or is itso he cant be interviewed by the press?

BlodwynPig

What a fucking load of cobblers. The British police/security people are such dead-eyed square cunts.

Dr Rock

Maybe they have to sign the official secrets act. I'm not sure what it covers, although I could ask a friend as he had to sign it. But perhaps he wont be able to tell me.

biggytitbo

Usual Mail bullshit caveats - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5980433/Salisbury-Novichok-victim-Charlie-Rowleys-brother-says-kept-police-safe-house.html

So he's locked up in a room unable to watch tv or read a newspaper and can only phone relatives under tight conditions using a government phone? Definitely not, like the Skripals, any kind of prisoner then.

This bit -
QuoteHe remembers Dawn spraying the perfume on his wrists and rubbing them together. He then took the bottle but it fell apart in his hands.'

Sounds like someone recounting a dream.

Paul Calf

Is it Mail bullshit or is it what happened?

Alberon

No one knows. So much is being kept secret no one here can have anything close to an informed guess.

Buelligan

I understand that it's quite normal for people who, wittingly or not, may know the kind of shit the men in coats are interested in to be accommodated in secure environments until fully debriefed.  They do get papers and telly if they want it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Alberon on July 23, 2018, 11:02:02 AM
No one knows. So much is being kept secret no one here can have anything close to an informed guess.

Use your brain for once.

Alberon

There's not enough information available. It's not about intelligence, but knowledge.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Alberon on July 23, 2018, 02:13:51 PM
There's not enough information available. It's not about intelligence, but knowledge.

Gut instinct, friend. Me and bigs are best with gut. Use your belly. Power of upper colon

Pdine

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 23, 2018, 02:36:40 PM
Gut instinct, friend. Me and bigs are best with gut. Use your belly. Power of upper colon

https://youtu.be/OBRKPoAPXEQ

greenman

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 22, 2018, 10:05:53 PM
Protective custody from what? Or is itso he cant be interviewed by the press?

Being generally in the "on the fence" crowd with this story this does certainly look one of the dodgiest things so far if true, protective custody to stop him picking up poisoned bottles at random?

biggytitbo

Deadly nerve agent disguised as a perfume bottle that falls apart when he touches it. The story just sounds like a dream or something that a pub bullshitter would come up with.

Pdine

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 23, 2018, 05:23:14 PM
Deadly nerve agent disguised as a perfume bottle that falls apart when he touches it. The story just sounds like a dream or something that a pub bullshitter would come up with.

Yeah you said that. Is someone counting your posts like TFM?

Paul Calf

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 23, 2018, 05:23:14 PM

Or perhaps that's what they want you to think...

Dr Rock

My mate who knows these things reckons all involved will have had to sign the Official Secret Act, so no contact with the press for them.  He also doubts Russia had anything to do with it, looking at Porton Down instead.

Zetetic

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 23, 2018, 06:03:21 PM
My mate who knows these things reckons all involved will have had to sign the Official Secret Act, so no contact with the press for them.
Noting that 'signing' it just about making sure you recognise that it applies to you (and doesn't mean anything beyond that), which bit of the Official Secrets Act would even apply?

Most of it is for government employees and in connection with their work. Outside of that it's still about "official information" originating with the British state as far as I know.

It can't be used just to stop you telling people about what it was like to be poisoned, for example.

(None of which stops you using it to scare someone into saying nothing. Or you deliberately disclose the information to the relevant people and thereby bring it under the Act, maybe.)

Have I missed something?

biggytitbo

Buelligan

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 23, 2018, 06:03:21 PM
My mate who knows these things reckons all involved will have had to sign the Official Secret Act, so no contact with the press for them.  He also doubts Russia had anything to do with it, looking at Porton Down instead.

I'm pretty sure the Official Secrets Act covers individuals made privy to official secrets revealed to them in the course of their duties, signing it, as Zetetic says, simply records the fact that the signatory is aware that they can be prosecuted for communicating the information covered to a third party.  I'm not aware that it's used retrospectively.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Zetetic on July 23, 2018, 06:16:05 PM
Noting that 'signing' it just about making sure you recognise that it applies to you (and doesn't mean anything beyond that), which bit of the Official Secrets Act would even apply?

Most of it is for government employees and in connection with their work. Outside of that it's still about "official information" originating with the British state as far as I know.

It can't be used just to stop you telling people about what it was like to be poisoned, for example.

(None of which stops you using it to scare someone into saying nothing. Or you deliberately disclose the information to the relevant people and thereby bring it under the Act, maybe.)

Have I missed something?

No I probably have.

phantom_power

I can see how if you nearly died in the way that they did, and without seemingly anyone knowing why or who did it or whether they might want to finish the job off for some reason, you might actually want to be in protective custody. Better safe than sorry would be a powerful emotion given what they have been through I would have thought

Buelligan

Yeah.  There's also the issue that presumably, the person who hid or disposed of the novichok receptacle is an actual person who would not baulk at murder to advance their own agenda (and probably has friends or acquaintances with a similar disposition). 

Even if this latest victim is entirely accidental, which I suspect is the case, he may well know shit about the situation - where the container was found, what it was, what he did with it, where it is now, if there were other objects in the vicinity and so on - that may prove more than useful in identifying those who left it there.  It would be in the poisoner's interests to prevent that information being shared or evidenced in any future court of law that may be convened, would it not?

biggytitbo

Nobody as said they were targeted victims though have they? I don't think thats ever been suggested even by the wildest of tabloid speculation. The narrative is 100% they accidentally picked up the discarded remains of the Skripal attack, so I still don't get what he is been protected from. From picking up more nerve agent in the park?

But I guess if it was the Russians (as the British state maintain purely by assertion), then we know they are the master of inexplicable, unpredictable behaviour so I guess anything is possible. They could nip back into Britain in the jaws of an international shitstorm and kill some bloke nobody has ever heard of and is of no interest to them at all, just for reasons.

phantom_power

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 24, 2018, 11:18:12 AM
Nobody as said they were targeted victims though have they? I don't think thats ever been suggested even by the wildest of tabloid speculation. The narrative is 100% they accidentally picked up the discarded remains of the Skripal attack, so I still don't get what he is been protected from. From picking up more nerve agent in the park

If you read the post just above your one, they one you are presumably responding to, then there is a reasonable explanation for that

Buelligan

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 24, 2018, 11:18:12 AM
Nobody as said they were targeted victims though have they? I don't think thats ever been suggested even by the wildest of tabloid speculation. The narrative is 100% they accidentally picked up the discarded remains of the Skripal attack, so I still don't get what he is been protected from. From picking up more nerve agent in the park?

Did you read what I posted directly above you?

phantom_power

Quote from: Buelligan on July 24, 2018, 11:23:03 AM
Did you read what I posted directly above you?

Did you read what I posted directory above you?

etc

biggytitbo

Quote from: phantom_power on July 24, 2018, 11:30:43 AM
Did you read what I posted directory above you?

etc

I was responded to you, Buelligan posted whilst I was writing it.

Buelligan's theory might be true but it feels like it only works if the 'poisoner' (can't really call them murderer) is some kind of freelance person still at large in Britain and this is like the plot of a Columbo episode.