Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 744
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:55:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone Used A NOW TV Box?

Started by Malcy, July 04, 2018, 02:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

I was going to order the latest Amazon Fire stick because I have around £50 in my account but saw a Now TV box for £10 in Tesco.

I mainly want it for iPlayer etc but is it any good for adding other stuff like maybe a web browser so I could stream off sites like Openload etc?

I don't want to add Kodi cos I think it's fucking useless. But say I emailed a link for something I watched to myself and then tried to access it through a browser on the box. Would it work?

My laptop is gibbed so I've cannibalised it for the HD etc and have terabytes of stuff to watch but would be good to know if I can do these things.

Sebastian Cobb

Now TV boxes are quite locked-down, they're a Roku - which has its own app-base (unlike other smart tv platforms, which are usually html 5 apps or android) I also think Sky have disabled the developer mode as well. You'd be better off with a firestick if that's what you want.

I'm not sure if emailing links would work or not, but browsing the web by the firetv's remote is a painful experience.

Malcy

Thanks. I reckon i will go with the firestick. The NOWTV boxes were sold out when i was last in Tesco. Also be good if i could use the (spam) link on my TV as well.

It's just to save a trip to the folks to download what i've missed.

olliebean

I got a refurbished Roku 2 (i.e., the non-locked-down version of the NowTV box) from CeX for about the same price as the Fire Stick I got cheap in a Black Friday sale. I much prefer the Roku; the Fire Stick is theoretically more versatile, but in practice is laggy as hell so really frustrating to use.

phantom_power

Quote from: Malcy on July 10, 2018, 09:03:20 PM
Thanks. I reckon i will go with the firestick. The NOWTV boxes were sold out when i was last in Tesco. Also be good if i could use the (spam) link on my TV as well.

It's just to save a trip to the folks to download what i've missed.

Have you thought about getting one of those little android pc things? They are a bit like a firestick but cheaper, less locked down and often come with a better controller for browsing

Malcy

Thanks for the replies. Was looking at so many different options and got bored so just ordered the Fire Stick.