Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:36:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

World Cup 2018 #4 - Football's coming for to carry me home

Started by Captain Z, July 04, 2018, 04:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Somebody slap some sense into me, I dreamed for a second today that we went the distance.

wosl

Heh!  Clive, eh?  C-L-I-V-E.  Kluh-eye-vuh.  That's all the names your parents could think of.

Ferris

Captain Z

In an attempt to continue the 'good' discussion...

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 04, 2018, 04:14:10 PM
It's a cruel truth that England's best bet for scoring against decent opposition is a mazy run and getting tripped up or bundled over in the box. But so what, as long as the opposition are worse than that then it's enough.

I've bemoaned England's reliance on dubious penalties since I became aware of it during the Michael Owen days but I have to say every single one of them we've been awarded in this world cup has been fully deserved and maybe there should have been more. If our players are so good they must be literally wrestled to the floor at every set piece then I see it as a complement.

FredNurke

If that happens, the joke'll be on him - Monopoly was invented in the US!

biggytitbo

There's no way he's get any poo in the top hat from monopoly from that height. Don't ask how I know, I just do.

I doubt you could even shit into a full sized top hat from half that height, Clive.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Captain Z on July 04, 2018, 04:47:58 PM
In an attempt to continue the 'good' discussion...

I've bemoaned England's reliance on dubious penalties since I became aware of it during the Michael Owen days but I have to say every single one of them we've been awarded in this world cup has been fully deserved and maybe there should have been more. If our players are so good they must be literally wrestled to the floor at every set piece then I see it as a complement.

I'm happy to see penalties being awarded and gamesmanship punished. In one of the first games of this cup two defenders blatantly grabbed a guy clear as day and got away with it. There was complaints and somebody must have told the refs to get their shit together. It takes balls to award a penalty even though it shouldn't.

And yeah, if the opponents have to foul you to stop you then you're technically good enough. It would still be hilarious if a team penaltied themselves all the way to ultimate victory. But most nations if not all would take that if it meant a trophy.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 04, 2018, 05:25:09 PM
There's no way he's get any poo in the top hat from monopoly from that height. Don't ask how I know, I just do.

Crosswinds would be my guess.

Gulftastic

Age is turning Hoddle's voice into that of Paul Whitehouse's lonely old man in the pub character.

'Punditry? Hardest game in the world...'

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The really frustrating thing is having this draw while our squad is so ordinary.

In 2002/4/6 I'm pretty sure our team would have been able to beat Colombia, Sweden, Russia and Croatia and get to the final. But I worry this lot won't.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Gulftastic on July 04, 2018, 05:51:04 PM
Age is turning Hoddle's voice into that of Paul Whitehouse's lonely old man in the pub character.

'Punditry? Hardest game in the world...'

Well observed. I laughed.

"5 pound chub, Stan got nuffink!"

Squink

Lawro's predictions for the quarter finals are in, and he's gone for a bold win for the favourites in each game.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Why the fuck are Juve after Ronalado? They have the league sewn up anyway, save your £88 million on players who aren't 33.

Bit of a desperate attempt to win the CL next year?

Large Noise

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 04, 2018, 06:13:48 PM
Why the fuck are Juve after Ronalado? They have the league sewn up anyway, save your £88 million on players who aren't 33.

Bit of a desperate attempt to win the CL next year?
Absolute classic Serie A. Inter have just spent big money on 30-year-old Niangollan, Juve are apparently intent on signing Dembele from Spurs (he's 31) and now Ronaldo. I'm a fan of Italian football but their attitude to player recruitment is baffling.

Sgt. Duckie

Quote from: Squink on July 04, 2018, 06:09:30 PM
Lawro's predictions for the quarter finals are in, and he's gone for a bold win for the favourites in each game.

I gave up clicking on 'Lawro's predictictions' around 2009. Does he still say 2-0 for every winning scoreline?

ziggy starbucks

thraxx

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 04, 2018, 05:25:09 PM

I told you I want that video back, clean this time please.

Captain Z

Quote from: Large Noise on July 04, 2018, 06:43:59 PM
Absolute classic Serie A. Inter have just spent big money on 30-year-old Niangollan, Juve are apparently intent on signing Dembele from Spurs (he's 31) and now Ronaldo. I'm a fan of Italian football but their attitude to player recruitment is baffling.

They're like the Man United of football.

mothman

Quote from: wosl on July 04, 2018, 06:12:12 PM

Something tells me that's not the real Benny from ABBA. Also, the joke's on them as they all have to learn our language to insult us in, as nobody else in the world speaks hurdy-gurdy.

im barry bethel

Facking bunch of settlers, facking World Cup West Brom. We wanted Arsene Arsenal and are happy to make do with the George Graham edition (without knowing how to keep a 1 nil) even Stones kept emulating donkey Adams with his hand in the air.

wosl

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 04, 2018, 05:56:39 PM
In 2002/4/6 I'm pretty sure our team would have been able to beat Colombia, Sweden, Russia and Croatia and get to the final. But I worry this lot won't.

That's crazy talk.

wosl

The team (I haven't checked, but its core would've remained more-or-less the same throughout the period) that beat Argentina and helped put them out of the '02 WC at the group stage, and took Portugal to two sets of Q/F penalty shoot-outs, first at the '04 Euros and then at the '06 WC?  That part is not such crazy talk.