Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:21:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

World Cup 2018 #4 - Football's coming for to carry me home

Started by Captain Z, July 04, 2018, 04:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Famously France won the final in 1998 and went on to win the whole thing...in 2018.

Large Noise

Quote from: Large Noise on July 11, 2018, 05:59:39 PM
Croatia managing to get their strongest 11 on the park tonight after some injury worries. They'll have a decent chance if they're not too worn out by their last two games. But I can't see that happening, I think they'll struggle tonight and England will be fairly comfortable.
Oops

Beagle 2

Chuffed with that in the end, expected nothing and got to enjoy a brilliant world cup that my team did well in. Lost a tight game to a clearly better team and there was no bullshit.

Looking forward to laughing at all the Scots giving me pelters tomorrow. It's the sadness behind the eyes I really enjoy.

monolith

Quote from: Beagle 2 on July 11, 2018, 11:41:49 PM
Chuffed with that in the end, expected nothing and got to enjoy a brilliant world cup that my team did well in. Lost a tight game to a clearly better team and there was no bullshit.

Yeah, haven't experienced anything like it before. It's definitely a much nicer feeling to over perform with a weak team than to under perform with a strong team.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: monolith on July 11, 2018, 11:47:42 PM
Yeah, haven't experienced anything like it before. It's definitely a much nicer feeling to over perform with a weak team than to under perform with a strong team.

:) Do you follow a league team?

monolith

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 11, 2018, 11:48:53 PM
:) Do you follow a league team?
Yes, but perhaps the best said about that the better... Have supported Forest since going to my first match in 1993. They've been a constant source of pain and misery in my life ever since. Beating Arsenal in the FA cup last season was the best thing we've done in about 20 years (apart from maybe promotion to the Championship but it was a sad state of affairs that we even dropped to League 1).

By the end of next season it will be 20 years out of the Premiership.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: finnquark on July 11, 2018, 11:50:42 PM
CBA with club football now.

After tonight surely Huddersfield vs. Burnely will be mouth-watering.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 11, 2018, 09:59:53 PM
BlodwynPig 419 (CRO)
Depressed Beyond Tables 386 (CRO)
Asids 383 (CRO)
slicesofjim 324
lebowksibukowski 295 ( Mbappe)
finnquark 266
Danger Man 245
Drummers are deaf 224 (Griezmann)
DrGreggles 222
Sgt. Duckie 222 (Kane Golden Boot?)
Deanjam 218 (CRO)
The Lurker 217
Rolf Lundgren 195 (Griezmann)
chveik 195 (CRO)
HZJ 193 (FRA)
Captain Z 184
i'm barry bethel 154
Vodka Margarine 140
Crabwalk 140
mash 81
notjosh 40

Bollocks

BlodwynPig

Quote from: monolith on July 11, 2018, 11:53:34 PM
Yes, but perhaps the best said about that the better... Have supported Forest since going to my first match in 1993. They've been a constant source of pain and misery in my life ever since. Beating Arsenal in the FA cup last season was the best thing we've done in about 20 years (apart from maybe promotion to the Championship but it was a sad state of affairs that we even dropped to League 1).

By the end of next season it will be 20 years out of the Premiership.

Always had a soft spot for Forest. My best friend's dad is a Forest supporter and his humour in adversity (with thick Notts accent) always warmed my cockles.

BlodwynPig

Deanjam

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 11, 2018, 09:59:53 PM
BlodwynPig 419 (CRO)
Depressed Beyond Tables 386 (CRO)
Asids 383 (CRO)
slicesofjim 324
lebowksibukowski 295 ( Mbappe)
finnquark 266
Danger Man 245
Drummers are deaf 224 (Griezmann)
DrGreggles 222
Sgt. Duckie 222 (Kane Golden Boot?)
Deanjam 218 (CRO)
The Lurker 217
Rolf Lundgren 195 (Griezmann)
chveik 195 (CRO)
HZJ 193 (FRA)
Captain Z 184
i'm barry bethel 154
Vodka Margarine 140
Crabwalk 140
mash 81
notjosh 40

Mid-table tedium. Truly I am Evertonian.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Hold on, I have Vardy in the 3rd place play off. He only needs 4.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on July 12, 2018, 12:00:26 AM
Hold on, I have Vardy in the 3rd place play off. He only needs 4.

Read the rules mate, 3rd place play-off doesn't count.

Crabwalk

Keep thinking back to how angry I was after the Iceland game. Tonight I was laughing and joking within minutes of the final whistle. I was just so grateful to have been provided moments of joy, hope and pride by an England team again. It's really been fun!

Good luck Croatia in the final, who totally deserve to be there. Real grit and quality tonight and England did very well to come at them as hard as they did in the first half.

monolith

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 11, 2018, 11:55:25 PM
Always had a soft spot for Forest. My best friend's dad is a Forest supporter and his humour in adversity (with thick Notts accent) always warmed my cockles.
I did go to see us beat United at Old Trafford in this match https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oHE8eJbg9w so I'll always have that.

United had won something like 15 matches in a row at Old Trafford before that match.

The Fergie time was ridiculous, felt like about 15 minutes of injury time.

Squink

The one thing missing I think is that some of these England players need to get out into the world and play for clubs outside of England. The experience that would bring would be immense.

Beagle 2

Piers Morgan is sad and Limmy is happy so it's al fine.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Squink on July 12, 2018, 12:06:39 AM
The one thing missing I think is that some of these England players need to get out into the world and play for clubs outside of England. The experience that would bring would be immense.

Agreed. Although Dier has and he's been England's worse performer this WC...

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 12, 2018, 12:00:55 AM
Read the rules mate, 3rd place play-off doesn't count.

It does for the golden boot.

Plus your man missed a peno. -30.

#shambles

gib

Squink

Quote from: Crabwalk on July 12, 2018, 12:10:33 AM
Agreed. Although Dier has and he's been England's worse performer this WC...

Yeah, good point, but he was mostly a teenager at Sporting. It would be interesting to see how some of these players would fare now at a top club outside England. Just can't see it happening though.

monolith

Quote from: gib on July 12, 2018, 12:19:03 AM
have we had 'fuckall's coming home' yet
Can't speak for anyone else but for me the fun of that song and those memes was how fucked off it seemed to make other fans. I'll be singing in full voice for football coming home to Wembley in 2020 ;).

monolith

Won the same amount of knock out matches this tournament as we had in the last six world cups combined.

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 11, 2018, 10:32:13 PM
I send my commiserations...to the Columbians.

You should ask to pass them on to the Colombians.

Ferris

Why on earth are people congratulating the Croats? I'm on #TeamBlodz wanting France to win. I hope Modric cries.

BlodwynPig