Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:18:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

World Cup 2018 #4 - Football's coming for to carry me home

Started by Captain Z, July 04, 2018, 04:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crabwalk

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 12, 2018, 12:12:50 PM
AGAIN - IT WAS FUCKING OFFSIDE...WILL YOU FUCKERS LISTEN. EITHER THAT OR THE SHOT BELOW WOULD NOT HAVE COUNTED

Replays showed he was onside and it would've stood. YOU FUCKING LISTEN.

*nouvelle page en plastique homme français*

phes

Quote from: greenman on July 12, 2018, 08:58:18 AM
I do tend to think WC success as a whole comes down far more to the mentality infront of goal that is talked about, not just quality but the situation most teams go though there the confidence is there that chances will be taken against the fear they won't be. That really was the obvious weakness England had though out bar the Panama match that was always threatening to catch up with them in knockout games they should have won more easily than they did before last night.

One of the few criticisms I would level at Southgate is that he had an enormous amount of historical evidence that Sterling flattered to deceive for country. This also begun playing out at this tournement under his system and he did have a player at his disposal who can do a similar job and has an excellent record for England. Sterling ran them ragged in the first half last night and helped the two wing backs keep them pinned  back, and I couldn't fault his motivation at all. But it amounted to a whole heap of nothing in front of goal.

We appeared confused last night. Against poorer teams we've built from the back and passed our way through midfield. We'd clearly decided to by-pass that on account of Croatia actually having a midfield, but we forgot that we don't actually need to fanny about passing it around the back for 60 seconds before hoofing it upfield. There were points in the game when Croatia were on the ropes, in particular the start of extra time, and we frittered much of that away with this odd approach.

How many attempts has Kane actually had in this competition and how many has he scored? His % must be through the roof. Seems harsh picking apart one of his few fluffs using still images

Overall though, great tournement, progress in several respects, mostly likable team and good manager. No complaints at all, worked hard and given the draw got what they deserved

BlodwynPig

Quote from: greencalx on July 12, 2018, 07:52:36 AM
So I'm guessing Southgate's position is reasonably secure.

It was secure in any case, even if they'd been thumped out in the group phase. That was announced when he was signed up.

Keep up people.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Crabwalk on July 12, 2018, 12:13:34 PM

No, the first shot, he was offside, this second shot was onside.

Crabwalk

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 12, 2018, 12:15:22 PM

No he wasn't. I've just watched it back again 3 times.

BlodwynPig

*nouvelle page en plastique homme français*

True English grit in your coffee this morning?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Crabwalk on July 12, 2018, 12:19:16 PM
No he wasn't. I've just watched it back again 3 times.

Oh dear. What a miss then. What a calamity by CAPTAIN CHAPSTICK.

The media can hide behind headlines like "Heroes" and "Pride of Lions" but the bitterness will rise again.

EOLAN

Only had a brief listen of the 5 live phone-in last night; which was very restrained compared to what I usually enjoy. Quite calm and stiff upper lips.

One guy did suggest Southgate should be given the England job for 10 years after this performance. Not even Alf Ramsay was able to survive 10 years having actually won the World Cup. Still a mild assertion by usual phone-in standards and much more sensible than the guy who wanted Steve Bruce to take over at Manchester United.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: EOLAN on July 12, 2018, 12:26:36 PM
Only had a brief listen of the 5 live phone-in last night; which was very restrained compared to what I usually enjoy. Quite calm and stiff upper lips.

One guy did suggest Southgate should be given the England job for 10 years after this performance. Not even Alf Ramsay was able to survive 10 years having actually won the World Cup. Still a mild assertion by usual phone-in standards and much more sensible than the guy who wanted Steve Bruce to take over at Manchester United.

Thanks to Gareth's waist coat, Laddism has been replaced by Wet Lettuceism. The prevailing wind is calm, polite, and very beige.

Utter Shit

Quote from: EOLAN on July 12, 2018, 12:26:36 PM

Nothing will ever top the guy who, seemingly genuinely, said West Ham should set up a crack management team of Mark Noble and Ray Winstone.

https://twitter.com/talksport/status/932649602439942144?lang=en

Head Gardener

England tried to score a goal while Croatia was celebrating

thraxx

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 12, 2018, 12:44:30 PM
Nothing will ever top the guy who, seemingly genuinely, said West Ham should set up a crack management team of Mark Noble and Ray Winstone.

https://twitter.com/talksport/status/932649602439942144?lang=en

The best ever 606 phone in was 2002 when Scotland drew 2-2 with the Faroe Islands.  Some Scottish fan phoned up almost in tears at the depths to which his beloved Scotland team had sunk: "If we can't even beat the faroes, how the hell will we beat the full Egyptian side?"

Outside of that you are talking when they phoned the wrong Tommy Boyd (the TV presenter instead of the Celtic Defender) before the 1998 Scottish Cup Final.  It took them about 5 minutes before they worked out what has gone wrong, though they were clearly baffled by Tommy's English accent from the first second.

Utter Shit

Quote from: thraxx on July 12, 2018, 01:16:39 PM
The best ever 606 phone in was 2002 when Scotland drew 2-2 with the Faroe Islands.  Some Scottish fan phoned up almost in tears at the depths to which his beloved Scotland team had sunk: "If we can't even beat the faroes, how the hell will we beat the full Egyptian side?"

Ahahaha was that a wind-up? Sounds like it might be the same bloke who did this brilliant call that surely must be a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvreCDC61Zw

Utter Shit

Quote from: Head Gardener on July 12, 2018, 01:07:20 PM

Even if the referee decided he fancied ending his career on the spot by allowing them to kick off...Rashford would immediately be offside the moment Lingard passes it to him.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Mm, not even today's bogroll. Totally inconsequential.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Head Gardener on July 12, 2018, 01:07:20 PM

PASS IT RASHFORD YOU IDIOT, PASS IT!

Norton Canes

Crabwalk

im barry bethel

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 12, 2018, 12:15:22 PM

Blod you're in Canananada we're in Ingerland so therefore a lot closer and had a better view of Kane being ON for both shots!

I'll say this though Russia Saudi seems a fucking lifetime ago now doesn't it.

BlodwynPig

You can blame Peter Drury who said it was deffo offside after seeing the linesman's flag raised in the replay....about 3 minutes after the incident.

colacentral

Historically has anyone given a shit about third place? I can't remember and I'd assume not, though I had the feeling England might want it.

gmoney

Quote from: colacentral on July 12, 2018, 04:37:29 PM
Historically has anyone given a shit about third place? I can't remember and I'd assume not, though I had the feeling England might want it.

I don't know, Martinez seemed pretty fucking determined to bag it for his boys.

monolith

There's only two teams left in the competition who can win 3rd place. England are one of them. We can do this.

im barry bethel

Probably hype it up as the Kane/Lukaku race for the golden boot

EOLAN

Going through my historical annals, Roberto Martinez seemed quite keen on it around 9pm GMT on Tuesday 10th July 2018 AD. This is probably the first recorded utterance of any interest in this game.

As my fellow historian Gmoney has acknowledged up above.

BlodwynPig

Its the BIG one today, lads. Don't worry about England flopping out, put a fiver on Rangers beating Macedonian giants Shkupi tonight.

asids

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 12, 2018, 06:17:56 PM
Its the BIG one today, lads. Don't worry about England flopping out, put a fiver on Rangers beating Macedonian giants Shkupi tonight.

I would actually stick a couple of quid on Blazhe Ilijoski first goalscorer, the former Bangkok Glass and Kelantan FA star has been banging them in recently.

Who you fancy for the DAC 1904 Dunajska Streda vs Dinamo Tbilisi game though?

Deanjam

It's usually a pretty good match.