Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:25:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

World Cup 2018 #4 - Football's coming for to carry me home

Started by Captain Z, July 04, 2018, 04:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chveik on July 15, 2018, 09:37:48 PM
Agreed. Being French, I don't care. The media coverage is really annoying though.

Plus ça change

colacentral

Quote from: im barry bethel on July 15, 2018, 08:57:32 PM
Anyway all in all a shit waste of a months sunshine sat indoors watching an insipid forgettable tournament made only worse by a bunch of know fuckall's offering pre post halftime and in game analysis on here. Football can fuck off and come back when it's raining.

Come on, you weren't that bad.

EOLAN

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 15, 2018, 09:34:48 PM
ok, thanks...I'm about to watch it now. Already hungry for a third star in Qatar!

Ready to break the European defending champions curse and make it past the first round? Forgive me if I sound cuntish. But I am a cunt.

Enjoy the celebrations.

colacentral

Quote from: im barry bethel on July 15, 2018, 08:54:36 PM
Look at the symmetry of his body, both arms are making the same movement...the movement of leveraging a jump. Ball to hand in 0.004 seconds, superman would have done well to get out the way if it.

I can't get the images in the following link to upload to imgur sorry, but: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/716585/France-penalty-World-Cup-2018-final-Croatia-fixtures-handball-VAR-referee-sportgalleries/amp

I don't agree that he's symmetrical. He brings his left hand up and then down to meet the ball, and the final image shows his palm has moved downwards as he's paddled the ball away.

I realise I'm in the minority here but I genuinely don't get the controversy.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Quote from: EOLAN on July 15, 2018, 09:55:39 PM
Ready to break the European defending champions curse and make it past the first round? Forgive me if I sound cuntish. But I am a cunt.

Enjoy the celebrations.

Senegal 2001, Glasgow pub. Desolation.

I reckon England have less than 54 years to get another one before a) world is destroyed, b) England no longer sovereign nation, c) football is no longer played in the form we know it now.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: colacentral on July 15, 2018, 10:13:38 PM
I can't get the images in the following link to upload to imgur sorry, but: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/716585/France-penalty-World-Cup-2018-final-Croatia-fixtures-handball-VAR-referee-sportgalleries/amp

I don't agree that he's symmetrical. He brings his left hand up and then down to meet the ball, and the final image shows his palm has moved downwards as he's paddled the ball away.

I realise I'm in the minority here but I genuinely don't get the controversy.

It was probably the 7th most blatant penno. There were a few more less obvious ones in the tourney.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Does anyone know why Iplayer gives "not enough bandwidth" issues? I've been on two different wireless connections and its fucking choking.

BlodwynPig

Mowbray: "A little bit of that Croatian fire is dousened" ??? Clanger. Sacked.

EOLAN

One thought on the penalty. With the referee awarding a goal kick instead of a corner, would that have influenced his decision to overturn it into a penalty.
Having reviewed it and admitted he made a totally wrong call that couldn't be overturned unless a penalty was given.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: EOLAN on July 15, 2018, 11:01:11 PM
One thought on the penalty. With the referee awarding a goal kick instead of a corner, would that have influenced his decision to overturn it into a penalty.
Having reviewed it and admitted he made a totally wrong call that couldn't be overturned unless a penalty was given.

Just got a phone call from Henry's hand...deffo penalty.

monolith

3 finals and two wins since 1998. Pretty dominant stuff.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: monolith on July 15, 2018, 11:28:17 PM
3 finals and two wins since 1998. Pretty dominant stuff.

5 and 3 if you include Euros

EOLAN

Uncle TechTip

Thank you to everyone for these threads, they've been huge fun to follow.

Squink

Lloris is going to come back to England as a World Cup winning captain, only to be met with a shower of "dodgy keeper" chants from away fans isn't he? At least for the first month or two of the season. Soz Hugo mate, we don't really do the whole 'respect' thing.

BlodwynPig

Mbappe doing pat-a-cake with pussy riot, why wasn't this on the highlights?

Scholes, Owen and Carragher getting involved in their new day job too, as Miley Cyrus backing dancers

newbridge

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 16, 2018, 02:29:07 AM
Mbappe doing pat-a-cake with pussy riot, why wasn't this on the highlights?

This makes me happy France won. Rather than the dick on Croatia who kicked one of them.

Mr Eggs

Imagine winning THE GOLDEN GLOVE when your actual gloves look like something a casual gay rapist has in the boot.

DrGreggles

My team of the tournament (3-4-3):

Lloris* (France)

Godin, Giminez (Uruguay), Verane (France)

Trippier (England), Modric (Croatia), Kante (France), Cheryshev (Russia)

Mbappe (France), Lukaku, Hazard (Belgium)

Sub: Own Goal

*yes, despite that

Neville Chamberlain

If I were to sum up this year's World Cup in three words, they would be:

Football. Football. Football.

greenman

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 15, 2018, 07:30:25 PM
I'm no expert but I think you're wrong. It's the referee's discretion and he can give it if the arm moves to block the ball and the ball was moving into a dangerous area and a goal scoring opportunity. I do believe it was harsh though and killed the game as a competitive spectacle.

Similarly the free kick that led to the first goal could have gone either way and was harsh and helped kill the game as a competition which is a real shame for the game and Croatia.

I still think France would have won and deserved to win and were better all round but I feel it was a shame that the decisions made it so much easier for them with that 2 goal cushion. Ruined it a bit for me. A fairer result would have been 2-1 to France and it would have been much better as a game without one team being 2 goals clear for the majority of the match. I think the ref fucked the game completely to be honest but the right team won so hey ho.

Being 2-1 up did obviously play greatly into France's style of play though, would they have gotten the situations for the goals in the second half without the Croatians chasing the game? Akin to England/Germany in 2010(not 66 though the second German goal was a foul).

Almost all of the problems with VAR have tended to be more judgement calls I'd say, its worked well for picking up things the ref might not have noticed like say the France/Oz pen but when its been more judgement calls is when its become dodgy. I think part of the issue is that the standards of the game as they exist now are really based on being judged by ref's live were he has to be more certain of intension, VAR almost works too well and ref's feel like they can give decisions were intension is more questionable. I would say as well that viewing in slowmo perhaps isn't ideal either since it always gives the impression of intension relative to the speed the actions actually happened.

I admit I tend to think the whole process feels like it has more of a potential for bias as well, a justice for some situation.

Only saw the picture today but it had to be Lovren who had a go at the protestor. What a dick.

greenman

A bit ironic though that after all the talk about Putin using the world cup there has been some pretty shameless promotion of Marcon by the BBC and others(Times as Marcon on the front cover not the players) after that result.

Scammin

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 15, 2018, 06:10:44 PM
Djembe Djembe has a world cup medal. No player for France today was worse than him.

I think you may have mixed up Eric Djemba Djemba with Kleberson. Eric Djemba Djemba was in fact from Cameroon while Kleberson was a member of the Brazil World Cup winning squad in 2002.

They were both shite though.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on July 16, 2018, 06:48:56 AM
Paris erupts in violence and looting after France World Cup victory

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12025/11438408/trouble-erupts-in-paris-following-frances-world-cup-win

https://www.thelocal.fr/20180715/looters-clashes-with-police-and-road-accidents-mar-french-world-cup-party

This is total bullshit. Celebrations were peaceful and joyful. This is what I witnessed firsthand at Bastille and on the Champs-Élysées. Of course, looters won't call the day off and drunk drivers will be drunk drivers, but for an event where millions of people went outside to express their joy, the two links mention thirty looters among the hundreds of thousands who were on the Champs-Élysées. In the whole of France, there were two people killed (one that hit a tree with his car, one that dived into a canal and broke his neck, because he hadn't realized the water was shallow), a few people hurt, arrests in the hundreds (mostly the Champs looters and the Lyon protesters) but for something of such a huge scale, where alcohol and patriotism are involved, this went fine.