Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:46:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

World Cup 2018 #4 - Football's coming for to carry me home

Started by Captain Z, July 04, 2018, 04:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 16, 2018, 08:22:00 AM
My team of the tournament (3-4-3):

Lloris* (France)

Godin, Giminez (Uruguay), Verane (France)

Trippier (England), Modric (Croatia), Kante (France), Cheryshev (Russia)

Mbappe (France), Lukaku, Hazard (Belgium)

Sub: Own Goal

*yes, despite that

Can't argue with that...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: greenman on July 16, 2018, 12:16:35 PM
A bit ironic though that after all the talk about Putin using the world cup there has been some pretty shameless promotion of Marcon by the BBC and others(Times as Marcon on the front cover not the players) after that result.

70% of the British press didn't feature the World Cup winners on the front page...one had Macron looning and only one had the obscured trophy lift as the main photo.

You can ignore it guys, but it still happened. 2 stars.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on July 16, 2018, 01:38:46 PM
This is total bullshit. Celebrations were peaceful and joyful. This is what I witnessed firsthand at Bastille and on the Champs-Élysées. Of course, looters won't call the day off and drunk drivers will be drunk drivers, but for an event where millions of people went outside to express their joy, the two links mention thirty looters among the hundreds of thousands who were on the Champs-Élysées. In the whole of France, there were two people killed (one that hit a tree with his car, one that dived into a canal and broke his neck, because he hadn't realized the water was shallow), a few people hurt, arrests in the hundreds (mostly the Champs looters and the Lyon protesters) but for something of such a huge scale, where alcohol and patriotism are involved, this went fine.

Merci.

jobotic

This is total bullshit. Celebrations were peaceful and joyful. This is what I witnessed firsthand at Bastille and on the Champs-Élysées. Of course, looters won't call the day off and drunk drivers will be drunk drivers, but for an event where millions of people went outside to express their joy, the two links mention thirty looters among the hundreds of thousands who were on the Champs-Élysées. In the whole of France, there were two people killed (one that hit a tree with his car, one that dived into a canal and broke his neck, because he hadn't realized the water was shallow), a few people hurt, arrests in the hundreds (mostly the Champs looters and the Lyon protesters) but for something of such a huge scale, where alcohol and patriotism are involved, this went fine.

You almost wonder why Paulie Walnuts would post such a thing.

wosl

As much as it pained me to watch them put England out, Croatia gave a truly admirable account of themselves in the final, as they did as a whole over the course of the tournament.  In making such a good and sporting fist of things in the face of those contentious early set-backs, they stand a good chance of being remembered as fondly as some of the other 'beautiful losers' teams of World Cups past - Netherlands '74 and '78; France '82 - teams that seem to live in the memory more vividly than the ones that went on to win the trophy.  Griezmann's free-kick buying simulation, meanwhile, gains admission to The Worst of the World Cup, to sit in a side-annex near Bernd Holzenbein's dive to engineer a penalty against the Dutch in the '74 final, the Hand of God, and Bilic's face-clutching act to get Laurent Blanc sent off in the '98 semi-final.

greenman

Quote from: wosl on July 16, 2018, 03:09:14 PM
As much as it pained me to watch them put England out, Croatia gave a truly admirable account of themselves in the final, as they did as a whole over the course of the tournament.  In making such a good and graceful fist of things in the face of those contentious early set-backs, they stand a good chance of being remembered as fondly as some of the other 'beautiful losers' teams of World Cups past - Netherlands '74 and '78; France '82 - teams that seem to live in the memory more vividly than the ones that went on to win the trophy.  Griezmann's free-kick buying simulation, meanwhile, gains admission to The Worst of the World Cup, to sit in a side-annex near Bernd Holzenbein's dive to engineer a penalty against the Dutch in the '74 final, the Hand of God, and Bilic's face-clutching act to get Laurent Blanc sent off in the '98 semi-final.

It does perhaps highlight the importance of getting a chance to play yourself into form, although they had a good game against Argentina in the group stages it wasn't really until the second half vs England that they really showed their form in the knockout stages.

finnquark

Can anyone shed some light on why Pogba is suddenly being touted as having had an amazing world cup?

EOLAN

Quote from: finnquark on July 16, 2018, 05:44:34 PM
Can anyone shed some light on why Pogba is suddenly being touted as having had an amazing world cup?

Because he had Kanté next to him. I don't even know if I am being serious or flippant with that.

BlodwynPig

He played better than his club game and some nice passes and turns

EOLAN

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 16, 2018, 05:52:53 PM

And he also did quite well defensively, especially up against his club-mate Fellaini.

bgmnts

He did a goal.

Everyone in this forum plays better for Man Utd than he does so it's not hard to impress.

This is total bullshit. Celebrations were peaceful and joyful. This is what I witnessed firsthand at Bastille and on the Champs-Élysées.

CASE CLOSED

Quote from: jobotic on July 16, 2018, 02:46:21 PM
You almost wonder why Paulie Walnuts would post such a thing.

because it's true and you would be all over it if it was England fans?

DrGreggles

I've wondered the same.
He's been OK in the last couple of matches but, if you had to list France's top 5 players of the tournament, he wouldn't get a mention.

Ferdinand has been his biggest fanboy. Same agent?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Scammin on July 16, 2018, 01:15:57 PM
I think you may have mixed up Eric Djemba Djemba with Kleberson. Eric Djemba Djemba was in fact from Cameroon while Kleberson was a member of the Brazil World Cup winning squad in 2002.

They were both shite though.

Oh yeah. I think I mixed them up because they were both shite and both went to United around the same time.

EOLAN

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 16, 2018, 06:51:52 PM
I've wondered the same.
He's been OK in the last couple of matches but, if you had to list France's top 5 players of the tournament, he wouldn't get a mention.

Ferdinand has been his biggest fanboy. Same agent?

Well RTE had 6 French players in their team of the tournament and Pogba wasn't one of them. Pickford in as goalkeeper, so rejoice England; Eamon Dunphy has anointed your Number 1.

BlodwynPig

Modric is the sort of player that you only notice in full-time analysis.

sevendaughters

not been in this thread but my team of the tournament is

Pickford
Varane Godin Mina
Vrsjalko Modric Witsel L Hernandez
Mbappe Kane Hazard

subs Courtois Granqvist Betancur Trippier Lukaku

Captain Z

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 16, 2018, 05:52:53 PM

I played better than his club game, and I was sat on the sofa eating crisps.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on July 16, 2018, 06:51:32 PM
CASE CLOSED

Fuck off.

I didn't just mention my own experience. I also gave you stats and facts. Which beats, in any case, a sensationalistic headline summarized here by some guy who wasn't in France during the World Cup in an even more oriented way.

"Paris erupts in violence and looting"? My arse. Some trouble erupted, definitely. It always does for such a wide-scale spontaneous moment. Two or three stores on the Champs-Élysées were looted by some opportunistic thieves who took advantage of the size of the crowd, some dimwits in Lyon (300 km away from Paris, by the way) climbed on a van to see better some giant screen, and reacted poorly when the cops told them there was written "Police" on it. Such isolated incidents are unfortunately the rule for any major mass event in any country. But for 99.9% of the people who were in Paris at the time, the celebration went peacefully, and nobody in Paris remembers yesterday as the day the city erupted in violence and looting.

When there's a demonstration in Paris and a thousand so-called Black Bloc anarchists throw bricks at shop windows and cops while there are 40,000 or 50,000 demonstrators, we get headlines that mention the violence. When there are 400,000 or 500,000 people on the Champs-Élysées to celebrate a football match and 30 people loot a store, that's just a deplorable footnote to some feast.

In any case, I wasn't assaulted or raped last night

finnquark

Quote from: EOLAN on July 16, 2018, 07:01:19 PM
Well RTE had 6 French players in their team of the tournament and Pogba wasn't one of them. Pickford in as goalkeeper, so rejoice England; Eamon Dunphy has anointed your Number 1.

Duggan on Off The Ball was raving about him earlier, bizarre.

chveik

monolith

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on July 16, 2018, 08:03:08 PM
Fuck off.

I didn't just mention my own experience. I also gave you stats and facts. Which beats, in any case, a sensationalistic headline summarized here by some guy who wasn't in France during the World Cup in an even more oriented way.

"Paris erupts in violence and looting"? My arse. Some trouble erupted, definitely. It always does for such a wide-scale spontaneous moment. Two or three stores on the Champs-Élysées were looted by some opportunistic thieves who took advantage of the size of the crowd, some dimwits in Lyon (300 km away from Paris, by the way) climbed on a van to see better some giant screen, and reacted poorly when the cops told them there was written "Police" on it. Such isolated incidents are unfortunately the rule for any major mass event in any country. But for 99.9% of the people who were in Paris at the time, the celebration went peacefully, and nobody in Paris remembers yesterday as the day the city erupted in violence and looting.

When there's a demonstration in Paris and a thousand so-called Black Bloc anarchists throw bricks at shop windows and cops while there are 40,000 or 50,000 demonstrators, we get headlines that mention the violence. When there are 400,000 or 500,000 people on the Champs-Élysées to celebrate a football match and 30 people loot a store, that's just a deplorable footnote to some feast.

In any case, I wasn't assaulted or raped last night
I saw the Paris stuff early this morning and literally had to double check the footage just now in case I had dreamt it all, but after looking again it doesn't look great:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-44843886/trouble-on-the-streets-of-paris

It's good to hear that it was just a few bad eggs but surely that's the same whenever England's fans do the same? Don't see how this is any better than when some of our dickhead fans go at it.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: EOLAN on July 16, 2018, 07:01:19 PM

Liam Brady also mentioned Pogba's discipline for the last two games.

One anomaly I remember from the last England match is footage of people watching the match in a pub in somewhere like Connemara or somewhere and when England went behind the crowd went mad, not because they were happy but because they were devastated. I was very surprised by that. Maybe they were expats or maybe a lot of Irish are rooting for the English due to our cultural similarities and proximity, I don't know.

buttgammon

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 16, 2018, 09:05:57 PM

One anomaly I remember from the last England match is footage of people watching the match in a pub in somewhere like Connemara or somewhere and when England went behind the crowd went mad, not because they were happy but because they were devastated. I was very surprised by that. Maybe they were expats or maybe a lot of Irish are rooting for the English due to our cultural similarities and proximity, I don't know.

I didn't really understand that either; I thought maybe it was a pub that was known as a hang-out for English expats or something.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: monolith on July 16, 2018, 09:00:40 PM
I saw the Paris stuff early this morning and literally had to double check the footage just now in case I had dreamt it all, but after looking again it doesn't look great:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-44843886/trouble-on-the-streets-of-paris

It's good to hear that it was just a few bad eggs but surely that's the same whenever England's fans do the same? Don't see how this is any better than when some of our dickhead fans go at it.

Apart from the looting, the police asked for the crowd to disperse around 11:30pm. Some people turned angry and the police had to use the water canons or the tear gas. Most of the incidents were duly reported by the French press (more, for instance, than the Pussy Riot members being condemned to 15 days of jail for the incident during the final) :

https://www.lemonde.fr/mondial-2018/article/2018/07/16/les-celebrations-de-la-victoire-en-finale-de-la-coupe-du-monde-minees-par-des-incidents_5331845_5193650.html

On the footage from the BBC, you can see that the camera zooms in to focus on the looters or the cops that try to get them. The Champs Élysées are 2 km long. When it was shot, I was long gone, but it sure doesn't reflect on the entirety of the avenue, and it's not representative at all of the prevailing mood during the evening.

EOLAN

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 16, 2018, 09:05:57 PM

Wasn't that where one of Harry Kane's grandparents were from. There were free pints for every goal Kane scored (in that match). Once Thomas Delaney was gone sure we had to have someone to claim as our own.

I'm not at all surprised that hundreds of thousands of French fans couldn't even muster a little riot. When I was celebrating the 98 final on a beach in Marseille, I had to explain to the congregated masses to cheer at the final whistle. Most of them had talked throughout the final and weren't even facing the big screen. They sat on handmade rugs twiddling their one dreadlock listening to Bongo Bong on a tape deck. My mates sensed my disappointment and suggested that we go out to celebrate after and I said yessss that's the spirit, mes amis. Aller a la boite de nuit pour une turbo shandy? They suggested that we celebrate with a brisk walk and some fresh evening air. I ended up getting them wrecked on shots of Pastis and we had an anal-focused fuck fest in the pool. The next day when the maid strained the leaves out of it, she said it looked like a jar of goddamm tahini.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: EOLAN on July 17, 2018, 12:12:12 AM
Wasn't that where one of Harry Kane's grandparents were from. There were free pints for every goal Kane scored (in that match).

Ah right. Molly's Bar in Letterfrack according to google. I wonder when they brought in the free pints rule. If it was in the group stage they'd get soaked on that offer.

BlodwynPig

In the absence of HZJ

CaB fantasy football result:

BlodwynPig wins.

asids

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 17, 2018, 01:33:47 PM
In the absence of HZJ

CaB fantasy football result:

BlodwynPig wins.

Next year will be our year.