Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:35:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

World Cup 2018 #4 - Football's coming for to carry me home

Started by Captain Z, July 04, 2018, 04:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
In the absence of a real CaB fantasy football league (McDonald's), I set one up with the migrant orphans from the refugee camp I volunteer in. 45 participants in total. I won the fucker by 6 points, overtook little Khaled in the final as he had Modric as captain and I Griezmann. Most of them didn't understand how to use the substitutes and captain effectively, but a win's a win. I took a screenshot of the league to show them when I'm next in.

wosl

I think FIFA and UEFA should act to have stars above badges removed.  I think they miss the point, re. the cooperative spirit of international football.   The arguably better team on Sunday had no stars above its badge.  The old World Cup winners didn't need stars.  At least make teams beg for them, if they honestly want one.  On the podium. "Can we have a star please, Sir?  Can we have a star please, Miss?"  Let's get back to less bling on shirts.  Less is Pele.  Less is Moore.

im barry bethel

Quote from: wosl on July 17, 2018, 04:28:53 PM
I think FIFA and UEFA should act to have stars above badges removed. 

Nothing wrong with a display of heritage but at least have a qualifying threshold, 3 wins before you can start adding stars. That lonely single star on the England/Spain/not France anymore looks pitiful.

monolith

I hope Spain win in Qatar, I liked the pre 1998 days where we were the only team to have won it once.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: wosl on July 17, 2018, 04:28:53 PM
I think FIFA and UEFA should act to have stars above badges removed.  I think they miss the point, re. the cooperative spirit of international football.   The arguably better team on Sunday had no stars above its badge.  The old World Cup winners didn't need stars.  At least make teams beg for them, if they honestly want one.  On the podium. "Can we have a star please, Sir?  Can we have a star please, Miss?"  Let's get back to less bling on shirts.  Less is Pele.  Less is Moore.

Used to think the same.

Not now.

2 stars

wosl

Quote from: im barry bethel on July 17, 2018, 06:22:09 PMNothing wrong with a display of heritage but at least have a qualifying threshold, 3 wins before you can start adding stars.

Perhaps.  Or allow one star for every two wins (I'd be happy for England to lose theirs on this basis), or indicate using numerals instead (if Germany win it next time, having to accommodate five stars isn't half going to clutter up their badge, given the way they array them across the top).  But I still think it would be a great gesture for all winners to wipe out the stars; to pare things back to something more egalitarian and elemental.

jobotic

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on July 16, 2018, 06:51:32 PM
CASE CLOSED

because it's true and you would be all over it if it was England fans?

Would I? What have I posted that makes you say that?

Get over it cunt the racially pure team lost.

http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/controversial-right-wring-singer-a-special-guest-of-croatian-footballers-07-17-2018

Anyone else feel like the Croatians were actually a massive bunch of cunts? Mostly off the pitch but they sound like absolute helmets.

chveik

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 17, 2018, 08:46:06 PM
Anyone else feel like the Croatians were actually a massive bunch of cunts? Mostly off the pitch but they sound like absolute helmets.

Lovren doesn't seem really bright indeed.

Rolf Lundgren

Yeovil Town once put 3 stars on their shirt to mark the fact they'd spent 15 years in the Football League. 1 star = 5 seasons. Why more clubs haven't adopted this is a mystery.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/truth-behind-three-stars-yeovil-85868

colacentral

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 17, 2018, 08:46:06 PM

Yeah. Started off the tournament rooting for them but found pieces of evidence here and there to suggest that as a people they're largely humourless wankers; no single incident by itself but taking it all as a whole. Really quite happy they lost in the end.

holyzombiejesus

Final Table For That Football Competition Malarkey

BlodwynPig 416
Depressed Beyond Tables 383
Asids 380
slicesofjim 324
lebowksibukowski 305
finnquark 266
Sgt. Duckie 247
Danger Man 245
Drummers are deaf 234
DrGreggles 222
HZJ 221
The Lurker 217
Deanjam 215
Rolf Lundgren 205
chveik 192
Captain Z 184
i'm barry bethel 154
Vodka Margarine 140
Crabwalk 140
mash 81
notjosh 40

Really, I am the winner as I was the only one out of the 21 of us who chose France.

As an aside (and the reason the update is so late) the man who runs the actual 'proper' version of this sweepstake thingy has emailed me their final table. They had 165 entrants and if our Blodders had entered that (and paid the £10), he'd have finished 5th and won a cool hundred pounds. Depressed Beyond Tables would have finished 11, just missing out on a tepid £25 prize money. notjosh would have finished 164th. If this has piqued your interest, the same man does one of these for the English leagues, and you have to choose 10 teams from the 92. Let me know and I can forward you the entry form when he emails them through.

holyzombiejesus

Yes, there was. You didn't finish bottom of their league. I was geeing you up. Honest.

BlodwynPig

What's my reward? This is the first thing I've ever "won", apart from that class-made totem pole in primary school.

wosl

Pussy Riot, who ended up being awarded Olivier Giroud's confiscated second star on the basis that they'd had a greater impact on the outcome of last Sunday's final that he did, have generously agreed to donate it as a prize.  Voila..

BlodwynPig

Sgt. Duckie

imitationleather

Quote from: bgmnts on July 20, 2018, 07:40:33 PM
Why the fuck is this thread still active?

IT'S COMING HOME
IT'S COMING HOME
IT'S COMING
FOOTBALL'S COMING HOME

Uncle TechTip

Yeah it's making me a bit depressed to see it knowing there will be no more world cup.

BlodwynPig

I intend to keep it alive for 2 years... parading my 1 star to an enrapt audience of none

Ferris

BlodwynPig

Ferris

asids

Quote from: imitationleather on July 20, 2018, 07:47:29 PM
IT'S COMING HOME
IT'S COMING HOME
IT'S COMING
FOOTBALL'S COMING HOME

Champions League:

Celtic 6-0 Alashkert (agg)

Europa League:

Rangers 2-0 Shkupi (agg)
Hibernian 12-5 NSI Runavik (agg)

The European cups are coming home to Scotland.