Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:38:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

World Cup 2018 #4 - Football's coming for to carry me home

Started by Captain Z, July 04, 2018, 04:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neville Chamberlain

DrGreggles

Arguably the best 4 sides left in it are all on the other side of the draw.
That makes it very much the easy side and could make for 2 shit quarter finals, a shit semi final and a one-sided final.
Luckily football rarely works out that way.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on July 05, 2018, 12:37:39 PM
Whatever happens on Saturday, it will be football.

Yep
5-a-side
11:00am-12:30pm
10 fat and/or unfit blokes
Estimated temperature of 29 degrees
It won't be high tempo!

popcorn

HELLO

I don't know anything about football. What is the current feeling about England's chances? I've always assumed we are unable to win anything ever but I keep vaguely hearing about how well we're doing.

Sgt. Duckie

Quote from: popcorn on July 05, 2018, 02:43:23 PM
HELLO

I don't know anything about football. What is the current feeling about England's chances? I've always assumed we are unable to win anything ever but I keep vaguely hearing about how well we're doing.

I can't speak for the majority of the forum. Personally??  I would say we were creatively stillborn against Colombia, and deserved a draw. Now we have won a penalty shootout we should play a hell of a lot better because that monkey has detached itself from our backs. I think we can improve in the next match due to beaming confidence, win and get closer to the trophy. I would prefer if Raheem Sterloing were a substitute.

Surely Sterling's gun leg is nailed on for a hat-trick sometime between now and the final. Or just after.

im barry bethel

What is the current feeling about England's chances?

There's a tit down the road from me just affixed England flags to the windows of his BMW people carrier

im barry bethel

Quote from: dontrunyoullfall on July 05, 2018, 03:20:14 PM
Surely Sterling's gun leg is nailed on for a hat-trick sometime between now and the final. Or just after.

Extra time winner, Jamie Vardy pulls down Sterling's sock and uses his tattood leg to machine gun the Swedish bench

Beagle 2

HELLO

Arguably the worst team left in the tournament but brilliant on set pieces and the luck seems to be with us.

Quote from: im barry bethel on July 05, 2018, 03:45:07 PM
Extra time winner, Jamie Vardy pulls down Sterling's sock and uses his tattood leg to machine gun the Swedish bench

Indelible image, Ron.

phes

not sure we have a new PL football thread yet, so i'll just pop this extraordinary Loris Karius video here

https://twitter.com/vonstrenginho/status/1014777825721712641

monolith

Why is Jonathan Pearce so hated? I know he makes silly fuck ups like the VAR thing but his over the top mania is all part of the charm isn't it? His commentary on the Euro 96 shootout was far more memorable than anyone else.

gabrielconroy

I can't take his cockatoo-like screeching. There's also the fact that I associate him now with Robot Wars that it takes me out of the magical magic of football into a confusing world where subconsciously I'm not sure if Raheem Sterling is a human footballer or a robot skidding around the place. Doesn't help that Sterling runs like he's got those shoes with wheels on.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Pearce doesn't even screech properly anymore, he was even the pioneering of the "that settles it then" goal commentary where he has that resigned tenor to his voice.

Personally, he peaked at I CARE NOT ONE JOT

Custard

In the England World Cup '66 team documentary on iPlayer - Bobby Charlton on being substituted in 1970: "Alf Ramsey pulled me off. He pulled me off a few times". No laughing at the back, please

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 05, 2018, 08:43:48 PM
Pearce doesn't even screech properly anymore, he was even the pioneering of the "that settles it then" goal commentary where he has that resigned tenor to his voice.

Personally, he peaked at I CARE NOT ONE JOT

Pearce and Lawro in the pub together would be very awkward for casual onlookers. The polar opposites of each other. Probably contempt from Lawro and impotent chat from Pearce. Unfortunately, they find themselves in the urinals together twice that night. Lawro brazen, Pearce stooped.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 05, 2018, 08:59:15 PM
In the England World Cup '66 team documentar. y on iPlayer - Bobby Charlton on being substituted in 1970: "Alf Ramsey pulled me off. He pulled me off a few times". No laughing at the back, please

That reminds me of John Motson on Desert Island Discs recently,  wanting a big box of tissues as his luxury item.

It was funnier when he said it.

mothman

Quote from: imitationleather on July 04, 2018, 11:50:27 PM
I'm pretty sure that the arrangement is that England semi-finals (that numerous, biannual event, that we have tonnes of examples to draw from) have always been on both channels.

I don't remember what happened with the semi in 1990. Presumably somebody has the TV schedules from back then?

Custard

mothman

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1990-07-04

The BBC didn't show the England semi-final, just highlights.

Or the OTHER semi the day before...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: mothman on July 05, 2018, 11:20:16 PM
https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1990-07-04

The BBC didn't show the England semi-final, just highlights.

Or the OTHER semi the day before...

What the fuck is this?

QuoteLive from Moscow,
Nicholas Witchell presents and explains the key decisions of the Congress of the Communist Party. With Laurie Mayer and Jill Dando in London.

buttgammon

My attention was more drawn to this:

Canoe
Second of a two-part programme. Building Your Own Canoe.
Alan Byde from Oxford builds a canoe in glass fibre. Introduced by John Earle. (R)

It wasn't even a new programme! Sobering reading for anyone who thinks TV has sharply declined since 1990.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: monolith on July 05, 2018, 06:57:25 PM
Why is Jonathan Pearce so hated? I know he makes silly fuck ups like the VAR thing but his over the top mania is all part of the charm isn't it? His commentary on the Euro 96 shootout was far more memorable than anyone else.

Well in the club variety he's always very biased. Towards Arsenal in particular. Fucking shambles of a commentator to be honest. Lots of underhand sneery, snobbery shit when he wants to spin an angle for or against a team or individual. Stick to documenting machine rape, Jonathon.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: buttgammon on July 06, 2018, 12:23:51 AM
My attention was more drawn to this:

It wasn't even a new programme! Sobering reading for anyone who thinks TV has sharply declined since 1990.

It's declined since 1998. I'd give my right arm to see scheduling like this now.

kalowski

Pearce is always on the fucking edge of "he's got football pie all over his face."

biggytitbo

Thats a fucking excellent Columbo.

But ITV had the England semi in 1990 didn't they?

phantom_power

Pearce always seems to interested in creating a "football moment" or shoe-horning in a phrase he thought up earlier. There is something false about his excitement as well

EOLAN

Oooh, Tony Robinson used to host Points of View. Kind of nice and comforting to know.