Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:09:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Karl Pilkington - Sick Of It

Started by Malcy, July 05, 2018, 10:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enzo

Petey Pate

Quote from: JamesTC on August 25, 2018, 09:35:12 AM
Auntie had wind for five minutes.
Horse in the house.
Kick me own height.
Tipp-ex spider.
Shaven cat.
Couldn't make it to school because of wind.
Mentally disabled kid in a wheelie bin.
Near death experience when eating Mr Freeze.
Near death experience when eating bad cream cakes.
Near death experience when falling down hill.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 25, 2018, 10:55:08 AMTrain crash.
Phonebox shopping theft.
Cows incident.
London eye refusal.
Inspector Pilkington.
Catalogue rent.
Sawed bed.
Fat family.
Don't bury me in a coffin.
Good film ruined.
Mate with a chimp.
Trans mate with a chimp.
£14.00 tea and scones.

Played the drums for Little Donkey.
Two kids at school with big heads and webbed hands who weren't related or friends.
Paper round was the best job I ever had.

Any others?

leighhart

you could list thousands mate, I know he gets pegged in here as a one trick pony but for a while there he was the funniest man in Britain
its nice seeing his run outlast both Steve and Ricky, he carried them in the XFM days and was easily the best character in Derek
add that to the books hes published, an Idiot abroad and the moaning of life, thats quite a tidy career there

Replies From View

Just some that came immediately to mind:

Preoccupations:
A preoccupation with freaks
A preoccupation with Twix - you never see an old fella eating one; the king-sized ones are massive for dwarves; a Twix coffin for two people
Loads of stuff to do with insects, like one of them going bald when stroked, or one suddenly falling to the ground from a heart attack, or Karl is rescuing insects from a swimming pool, or a preoccupation with those wasps that lay eggs inside caterpillars
A preoccupation with animals that have no worth - why not add 2% more water to a jellyfish to make it into 100% water (and "get rid of 'em" more broadly)

Other people being annoyed for reasons Karl can't understand:
Karl trying to grill sausages in a toaster, girlfriend pissed off with him
Put a hole in the crepe dress of a girlfriend he had when he was about seven, making her cry - Karl telling her "for goodness sake, it's over"

Christmas/birthday themed:
A Victoria Plum gnome as a present for his mum
Being sick because as a Christmas present he received a ZX81 that was missing a RAM pack
His brother coming into his room one Christmas and breaking his train set before going back downstairs
A family-sized bumper pack of condoms as a present for Suzanne

Miscellaneous:
On stage, revealing an egg in his hand and saying "It's not born yet"
Tic tacs being used in the litter tray, which Karl himself grew up shitting in
Running back to his house and pretending to be asleep after throwing a rock in the air that landed on someone's car
Brother nicked a tank / taught Karl a weird way of wiping your arse

Replies From View

Quote from: leighhart on September 24, 2018, 12:41:13 AM
you could list thousands mate

Yes it's true that the list could go on and on, as I have kind of realised in that post above.

However the point remains that these are anecdotes and jokes from the Xfm days that are endlessly repeated and repackaged, which means there's no harm in forming Pilkington Bingo now.

Dr Rock

90 minute new interview with Karl here:

https://youtu.be/ihhj-Dym1tw

Lots of new childhood memories. Be hard pressed to get a full house of Pilkington Bingo here.

the science eel

Quote from: Replies From View on September 24, 2018, 01:03:47 AM
Loads of stuff to do with insects, like one of them going bald when stroked, or one suddenly falling to the ground from a heart attack, or Karl is rescuing insects from a swimming pool, or a preoccupation with those wasps that lay eggs inside caterpillars
A preoccupation with animals that have no worth - why not add 2% more water to a jellyfish to make it into 100% water (and "get rid of 'em" more broadly)

I'm absolutely doubled over laughing here - had never heard these before.

Fuck, but he's a funny fella.

JamesTC

Quote from: Replies From View on September 24, 2018, 01:03:47 AM

Brother nicked a tank

To add to that, he borrowed the tank so he could go round the shop for ciggies.

Others that come to mind:
Auntie Nora's split tennis ball.
The mate of his Dad's who was sensitive about looking like Ken Dodd who Karl accidentally introduced himself to with "Alright Ken"
The girl he broke up with because she had a problem with her bone marrow.

bgmnts

It would be brilliant if they released full episodes of the old XFM shows because Monkey News, Karl in a Film, Educating Ricky and Songs of Praise are some of the hardest i've laughed at anything, ever.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm not holding my breath, but it'll be the first sky series I've series-linked.

Replies From View

Quote from: bgmnts on September 24, 2018, 07:14:21 PM
It would be brilliant if they released full episodes of the old XFM shows because Monkey News, Karl in a Film, Educating Ricky and Songs of Praise are some of the hardest i've laughed at anything, ever.

Are they no longer online anywhere?  Along with other radio things (eg the Adam and Joe stuff) I have them all on a USB memory stick on a keyring, so if you ever come to a CaB meet where I'm expected, bring your laptop and I'll copy them for you.

Dr Rock

Many of them are in full (sans music of course, phew) on YouTube, but not called XFM shows (though some are). Try this channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxxcWWEicSLu1JTjacA0Z-A/videos

bgmnts

Yeah I just meant officially, so it was easier to get ahold of and could listen to offline.

Enzo

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 24, 2018, 12:14:00 PM
90 minute new interview with Karl here:

https://youtu.be/ihhj-Dym1tw

Lots of new childhood memories. Be hard pressed to get a full house of Pilkington Bingo here.

this is definitely worth a listen btw

Malcy

Karl said on This Morning yesterday that the first two episodes are available on Sky as of this morning.

Absolutely amazed by the soundtrack. Vashti Bunyan - I'd Like To Walk Around In Your Mind! Fuckin hell! And loads more. I'd definitely buy this if I bought CDs any more.

VaginaSimpson

I am dumb dumb. Please delete this post mods!

VaginaSimpson

Quote from: someoneupthere on September 27, 2018, 08:32:40 PM
Like he'd never heard the saying "Waste not want not" and said he didn't know what it means. Sorry but that's fucking stupid by any standard.[/size]

How is that stupid to not understand the saying? It's not exactly clear!

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on September 27, 2018, 04:43:16 PM
DS praising it.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/feature/a867092/karl-pilkington-comedy-sick-of-it/

QuoteHis realistic low-key approach is utterly engaging and will suck you in with his deferential approach against the more aggressive and spiky other imaginary Karl. It's a nuanced and believable portrayal that never falters and should have BAFTA calling next year.

Episode 2 ends with him masturbating in a public toilet while a baby doll watches on. Blow the BAFTA, this is Emmy material.

I enjoyed the first two episodes. The imaginary Karl is used a little more sparingly than expected which is actually to the benefit of the show as it has more impact when he is dishing out the "real" thoughts.

I find it interesting that he seems to be dissecting his own ideas at times. It is almost as if he himself is taking on the Ricky and Steve role from the podcast. The moment that comes to mind is in the opening of the first episode when he is buying a suit and he tries on the jumper with only the top of the shirt and he evangelises about how he can save time because of no buttons and the imaginary Karl asks him what he needs to save time for.

the science eel

Good, just not very funny.

I mean, was it supposed to be funny?

Replies From View

The conceit with the sofa from the first episode is something from his real life he discussed on Xfm.

I've only seen episode 1 so far but thought it was fine.  His acting ability in this makes clear that his 'village idiot' persona was always an act, if any doubt still lingers for anyone.  I'm guessing that he's decided he doesn't need that persona anymore.

Replies From View

Comparing stuff to Pacman should have been on the Pilkington bingo card.  It's his go-to comparison and he uses it in episode 1.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Ten minutes in, and it's already better than anything Gervais could ever dream of coming up with.

Replies From View

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 28, 2018, 02:18:22 AM
Ten minutes in, and it's already better than anything Gervais could ever dream of coming up with.

I'll agree with that.

leighhart

who would have thought in the beginning stages of his "discovery" on XFM by Ricky and Steve that Karl in 2018 would be the guy outshining them both
Ricky never really got what made Pilkington special, by the end he was reduced to a bald headed mong to wrestle and fart on
Well done karl

bgmnts

I still really find the Karl, Ricky and Steve trio a great comedy act on the podcasts.

I think it needs the three of them to work

yesitsme

Quote from: bgmnts on September 28, 2018, 08:27:58 AM
I still really find the Karl, Ricky and Steve trio a great comedy act on the podcasts.

I think it needs the three of them to work

I remember once having to stop walking and lean against a building I was laughing so much at something they were saying.  Yes they were good together.

Oooh, last night?  I dunno.  The first one was good enough to make me watch the second one but when you've gone to 'wanking in a pot' so quickly where do you go from there?  Spunked yourself in to a corner there mate.

I will watch the third one but I hope we've not run out of jokes already.

During the first ad break of the first one I had a scan of the Twitters.  Incase you missed it the comments ranged from 'Genius' to 'Sick of this already!' but nothing in between.

amnesiac

Watched eps 1 & 2. When did this fucking thing of putting almost entire music tracks during sequences start? I mean.. there's about 5mins of contents in ep1 and 4 songs. It was good though but I can use Spotify for music, cheers.

ep2 relies on the premise that a crying baby is annoying and guess what, a crying baby for 30min is really fucking annoying so I was more annoyed than anything else.

I agree that his acting abilities are pretty bloody excellent, his internal monologue character did this hand-wavy thing/ annoyed face that was just absolutely PERFECT (can't remember exactly where it was).

So in summary I am very happy with this. 

BRen

I really enjoyed the first couple of episodes, it reminded me of 15 Storeys High to a certain degree, that sort of bleak but absurd comedy style is something they have in common in my opinion.