Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:41:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Beautifully naff/camp films

Started by Clownbaby, July 05, 2018, 07:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

I watched Earth Girls Are Easy for the 8th time the other week and I fuckin' love it. It's got everything:

Aliens

A story based around intercourse

Bad Music

Good Music

Horrible Costumes

Aggressive Colours

Hammy Acting

Sexy, Sexy Jeff Goldblum

I want to find more "hot mess" films that pick up where John Waters left off.

chveik

I like Susan Sontag's essay 'On Camp'. You can read it here if you want: https://faculty.georgetown.edu/irvinem/theory/Sontag-NotesOnCamp-1964.html

56. Camp taste is a kind of love, love for human nature. It relishes, rather than judges, the little triumphs and awkward intensities of "character." . . . Camp taste identifies with what it is enjoying. People who share this sensibility are not laughing at the thing they label as "a camp," they're enjoying it. Camp is a tender feeling.

I suppose 'Kaboom' (Gregg Araki) could belong to this category.

Clownbaby

Quote from: chveik on July 05, 2018, 08:10:44 PM
I like Susan Sontag's essay 'On Camp'. You can read it here if you want: https://faculty.georgetown.edu/irvinem/theory/Sontag-NotesOnCamp-1964.html

I suppose 'Kaboom' (Gregg Araki) could belong to this category.

Sweet, I'll read that when I get the chance

Blumf

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 05, 2018, 07:50:51 PM
I watched Earth Girls Are Easy for the 8th time the other week and I fuckin' love it. It's got everything:
I want to find more "hot mess" films that pick up where John Waters left off.

I take it you've seen Buckaroo Banzai

Highway to Hell may fit too

Clownbaby

Quote from: Blumf on July 05, 2018, 08:47:03 PM
I take it you've seen Buckaroo Banzai

I haven't. I see Jeff Goldblum and John Lithgow so I'm sold already

chveik

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 05, 2018, 08:49:11 PM
I haven't. I see Jeff Goldblum and John Lithgow so I'm sold already

John Lithgow, I had completely forgotten about him. He was in De Palma's Raising Cain, which is a definite camp film.

Famous Mortimer

Double Dragon

Full of camp goodness.

asids

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 05, 2018, 07:50:51 PM
Sexy, Sexy Jeff Goldblum

Speaking of Jeff Goldblum, has anyone else noticed how much he's tried to put himself in the public eye over the last couple of months? I feel like I'm seeing him everywhere. It's like Shia LaBeouf a few years back when he was doing all sorts of weird things that went viral, probably to remind people he existed with his film career failing a bit.

Attila

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is my go-to for campy campy goodness. (Although I think most of the actors were playing it straight).

Phil_A

The Schumacher Batman films are rightly mocked for going overboard with camp silliness, but there's no denying the Burton Batmans are just pure campness through and through, especially Returns.

The campness levels go through the roof whenever Pfeiffer's on-screen as Catwoman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWrOmEtXk0k

Clownbaby

Quote from: asids on July 05, 2018, 11:03:46 PM
Speaking of Jeff Goldblum, has anyone else noticed how much he's tried to put himself in the public eye over the last couple of months? I feel like I'm seeing him everywhere. It's like Shia LaBeouf a few years back when he was doing all sorts of weird things that went viral, probably to remind people he existed with his film career failing a bit.

He's embracing being a meme now. I always think that's a bit of a risky thing to do cause being a meme can make you a pure joke. On the other hand though it can give your career a boost if you don't mind doing daft shit like Farmfoods adverts (I don't want to see Jeff Goldblum doing a Farmfoods advert)

Blumf

Quote from: studpuppet on July 06, 2018, 12:14:37 AM
Doc Savage - Man of Bronze is my go-to camp-fest.

That is a favourite of mine too. Right up there with 60s Batman in camp silliness.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: chveik on July 05, 2018, 09:32:07 PM

John Lithgow, I had completely forgotten about him. He was in De Palma's Raising Cain, which is a definite camp film.

Caught this on Mubi the other night (they also showed Body Double).

There was a brief period where Lithgow was a baddie - Raising Cain, Cliffhanger, Ricochet. All are worthy of this thread.