Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:48:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cardinal Burns

Started by Clownbaby, July 05, 2018, 08:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

Did anyone else catch this when it was on? I like it, sort of a strange atmosphere. It had a few crap sketches but there was something interesting about it (to me anyway)

Both my favourite bits aren't on YouTube but I loved when they took the piss out of quirky indie films, and the strangely alluring "Momdad"

And that bit where the extremely Scottish restaurant owners acted out some kind of Spanish gangster armed robbery for a guy's job interview (I haven't watched it in a while)

Brundle-Fly

Underrated in my opinion, excellent performers and writers. Don't understand why they're not celebrated more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f17lIpfke8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHPyufevyog&frags=pl%2Cwn

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 05, 2018, 09:04:22 PM
Underrated in my opinion, excellent performers and writers. Don't understand why they're not celebrated more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f17lIpfke8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHPyufevyog&frags=pl%2Cwn

I thought I'd hate them, but ultimately really enjoyed their show. I think they were just unlucky regarding the timing of their show - it came right at the tail end of UK sketch shows being a thing, and just as the bottom fell out of the DVD market.

Hecate

Yeah, I remember it being canny, hit and miss but that's to be expected.
Did channel 4 just lose interest?

Clownbaby

Quote from: Hecate on July 05, 2018, 09:16:57 PM
Yeah, I remember it being canny, hit and miss but that's to be expected.
Did channel 4 just lose interest?

Probably. That's the thing with most non-family geared British comedy series though. 2, maybe 3 series at the most and then that's it

Mobius

Yes I really enjoyed this as well, but sadly seemed to disappear as a lot of sketch shows do. Dogface wasn't a bad one either, saw it once on telly then it just disappeared forever.

Hecate

Poor Peter Serafinowicz only got one series as well, didn't he? Very patchy but some good stuff in that too.
Shame nothing seems to get a chance to grow anymore.

Is Serafinowicz a bit of a pot head, I've seen him on a few things where I've thought he looked a bit "baked" if the kids are still saying that.

Twit 2

He looked 'stoned off his tits' on HIGNFY once, but I assume he's knocked it on the head a bit since he's had kids.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Hecate on July 06, 2018, 01:32:25 AM
Poor Peter Serafinowicz only got one series as well, didn't he? Very patchy but some good stuff in that too.
Shame nothing seems to get a chance to grow anymore.

Is Serafinowicz a bit of a pot head, I've seen him on a few things where I've thought he looked a bit "baked" if the kids are still saying that.

Haha you might be on to something there. It's hard to tell with him though cause he's got those big sultry hooded eyes permanently

The Peter Serafinowicz show was pretty good, bit hit and miss but I would've really liked a second series of that. It could have smoothed out a bit

j_u_d_a_s

When I went to the screening of series 1 of Look Around You. During the Q&A, Serafinowicz mentioned a lot of the writing took place in what they called "pot club" which is pretty self explanatory.

Regarding Cardinal Burns, I always rated them as performers and there was a lot of money spent making it look as good as it did but I'm struggling to remember a lot of it. I think it's been largely forgotten due to a combination of factors. Firstly it was shown before the idea of viral sketches had really caught on so there was no breakout sketch that did the rounds on twitter or facebook. Secondly, it didn't have a point of view of its own. It would go from beautifully shot but ultimately a bit basic premise (the drunk businessmen doing brilliant skipping tricks for instance) to a Crystal Maze Parody to the office flirts. It's sort of telling that one of their recurring sketches were based around weird auditions. There was also a pretty nasty undercurrent of casual homophobia with a lot of the punchlines involving gay sex.

Clownbaby

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on July 06, 2018, 03:06:22 PM
When I went to the screening of series 1 of Look Around You. During the Q&A, Serafinowicz mentioned a lot of the writing took place in what they called "pot club" which is pretty self explanatory.

Regarding Cardinal Burns, I always rated them as performers and there was a lot of money spent making it look as good as it did but I'm struggling to remember a lot of it. I think it's been largely forgotten due to a combination of factors. Firstly it was shown before the idea of viral sketches had really caught on so there was no breakout sketch that did the rounds on twitter or facebook. Secondly, it didn't have a point of view of its own. It would go from beautifully shot but ultimately a bit basic premise (the drunk businessmen doing brilliant skipping tricks for instance) to a Crystal Maze Parody to the office flirts. It's sort of telling that one of their recurring sketches were based around weird auditions. There was also a pretty nasty undercurrent of casual homophobia with a lot of the punchlines involving gay sex.

I see what you mean about the gay sex bits. The one where they're on the train and they go into the toiler to bang felt like a bit of a non-joke. I also see what you mean with the scenes being beautifully shot but not really going much further, but I get the same sort of feeling from Cardinal Burns as I do from Limmy's Show with the stream-of-consciousness "strange little idea"  bits, like "imagine if this happened?" (I think Limmy's obviously better at it though cause he's at the centre) Even though I do find Cardinal Burns funny, I watch it mainly for the way it looks and the performances

j_u_d_a_s

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 06, 2018, 04:08:51 PM
I see what you mean about the gay sex bits. The one where they're on the train and they go into the toiler to bang felt like a bit of a non-joke. I also see what you mean with the scenes being beautifully shot but not really going much further, but I get the same sort of feeling from Cardinal Burns as I do from Limmy's Show with the stream-of-consciousness "strange little idea"  bits, like "imagine if this happened?" (I think Limmy's obviously better at it though) Even though I do find Cardinal Burns funny, I watch it mainly for the way it looks and the performances

What hold's Limmy's Show together so well though is that all of it is underpinned by Limmy himself. He has a world view that colours everything he does. Cardinal Burns are actors playing a series of roles.

Clownbaby

Quote from: j_u_d_a_s on July 06, 2018, 04:23:42 PM
What hold's Limmy's Show together so well though is that all of it is underpinned by Limmy himself. He has a world view that colours everything he does. Cardinal Burns are actors playing a series of roles.

Yeah I know. That's why I said Limmy's show does the "what about this weird moment?" thing better.

j_u_d_a_s

My bad, skim read your reply. Apols!

Clownbaby

Twed

All this time I've been mistaking Cardinal Burns for another, much more maligned (and maybe five years older) sketch show.

I can't remember what it was, except that it was panned on a Horne and Corden level. It had one character who was something like "The Marquis", who was that Roger Mann kind of character who would make evil pronouncements that didn't fit his domestic and weak persona. I remember that he knocked something on the floor with evil abandon, and then scuttled to pick it up before anybody got upset about it (the sort of thing I'd do at secondary school to try to impress girls, most definitely not broadcast television worthy). Anybody?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Twed on July 06, 2018, 04:47:04 PM
All this time I've been mistaking Cardinal Burns for another, much more maligned (and maybe five years older) sketch show.

I can't remember what it was, except that it was panned on a Horne and Corden level. It had one character who was something like "The Marquis", who was that Roger Mann kind of character who would make evil pronouncements that didn't fit his domestic and weak persona. I remember that he knocked something on the floor with evil abandon, and then scuttled to pick it up before anybody got upset about it (the sort of thing I'd do at secondary school to try to impress girls, most definitely not broadcast television worthy). Anybody?

The Baron in Blunder?

Twed

That's it, thanks! What a load of shit that was.

What I don't get is why series 2 has disappeared from everywhere - can't watch it on 4OD, it's not on amazon, can't find it on any sites of ill-repute.

Twed