Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:06:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Please can you walk me through blocking on this forum.

Started by Howj Begg, July 06, 2018, 12:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howj Begg

The Goldfinger app doesn't work for me, and I don't get the option in profiles to block.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/goldfinger/lcblhgagcoikoioafdifjkpmhpdpengc

Can anyone give me an idiot's guide to using Greasemonkey or whatever else, to block on this here forum.

All jokes, witticisms about blocking, or Brendan O'Neill-esque hot takes about shielding yourself from the truth you don't like and similar guff, wearily and inevitably welcomed.

Hecate

I can change!
Can you hint at what sort of things you don't want to be reading? mentioning no names and stuff?
Sorry to be nosey.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Hecate on July 06, 2018, 12:09:30 AM
I can change!
Can you hint at what sort of things you don't want to be reading? mentioning no names and stuff?
Sorry to be nosey.

It's mostly the usual gang of trolling idiots, with one or two exceptions. Nothing offends me, on here, but some things take time out of my day and are an utter waste of precious time and energy. Frankly, I think blocking is what Steve Jobs would do.

You are delightful dear Hecate.

Dex Sawash

I like to just stay right down the front of the stage

Z

Quote from: Howj Begg on July 06, 2018, 12:13:17 AM
It's mostly the usual gang of trolling idiots, with one or two exceptions. Nothing offends me, on here, but some things take time out of my day and are an utter waste of precious time and energy. Frankly, I think blocking is what Steve Jobs would do.
Set up a website blocking app like Freedom with scheduled blocks. You'd be surprised how little you'll want to deal with all that kind of nonsense if you only have a 30 minute window to go through the last 8 hours of content on here.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Z on July 06, 2018, 12:19:01 AM
Set up a website blocking app like Freedom with scheduled blocks. You'd be surprised how little you'll want to deal with all that kind of nonsense if you only have a 30 minute window to go through the last 8 hours of content on here.

Haha, jeez. this seems like the hammer-for-a-nut option, but yeah, I cans see how that would be useful.

Hecate

Quote from: Howj Begg on July 06, 2018, 12:13:17 AM
some things take time out of my day and are an utter waste of precious time and energy.

I can understand that.

You're lovely as well, mr begg!

St_Eddie

If you can't read this, then you know that it's worked.

Howj Begg

Dr Rock

Quote from: Howj Begg on July 06, 2018, 12:03:48 AM
The Goldfinger app doesn't work for me, and I don't get the option in profiles to block.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/goldfinger/lcblhgagcoikoioafdifjkpmhpdpengc

Can anyone give me an idiot's guide to using Greasemonkey or whatever else, to block on this here forum.

I've PMed you. Used to work as a lot of people got the code from me and experienced the peace they craved. Probably still works.

Famous Mortimer

If Dr Rock's doesn't work, then I think No Sleep has one (although it might be the same one).

Howj Begg

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 06, 2018, 05:03:55 AM
I've PMed you. Used to work as a lot of people got the code from me and experienced the peace they craved. Probably still works.

Thanks DR. I've replied. Unfortunately it's not working, and I'm getting an Error 404 on the dropbox link.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Howj Begg on July 07, 2018, 12:45:39 AM
Thanks DR. I've replied. Unfortunately it's not working, and I'm getting an Error 404 on the dropbox link.

Ah, sorry the dropbox link may not be working of it's to anything in my dropbox account. Further I've forgotten what it was to, so I'd suggest asking NoSleep.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 07, 2018, 06:39:31 AM
Ah, sorry the dropbox link may not be working of it's to anything in my dropbox account. Further I've forgotten what it was to, so I'd suggest asking NoSleep.

He has supplied me with the goods. It's now working. Thanks mates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=senj16ziSRk

Ferris

I'd be interested in this as well if it's easy enough via iPad (nothing is ever fucking simple by iPad).

New Jack

Replies From View

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 07, 2018, 12:34:22 PM
I'd be interested in this as well if it's easy enough via iPad (nothing is ever fucking simple by iPad).

I've never found one that works for mobile devices.

The only way to block something you don't want to read is to leave.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 11, 2018, 11:32:19 AM
The only way to block something you don't want to read is to leave.
Or scroll past them when their name pops up, which this process handily automates.

Thanks for not blocking me using your system.

I did once try to use the blocking script but couldn't figure it out. By the end of several draining, fruitless hours, I realised that I just wanted to block the pain in my own heart.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 11, 2018, 11:38:36 AM
Or scroll past them when their name pops up, which this process handily automates.

This is what I do for the couple of posters whom I simply can't stand.  Works like a charm.

madhair60

Consignia

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure you're not Christ. The second coming of L Ron Hubbard, perhaps.

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on July 11, 2018, 03:58:45 PM
Christ I hope it's not me.

Haha, no.  How could I ignore someone with an avatar that adorable?!

brat-sampson

PM request here too. Just cba anymore with the bullshit.

I'm genuinely interested in who is so block worthy on here at the moment. It seems rather peaceful to me, aside from Janie's flounce. Granted, there are people I think are wankers but I don't think I would want to block anyone.

Ferris

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 13, 2018, 08:22:26 AM
I'm genuinely interested in who is so block worthy on here at the moment. It seems rather peaceful to me, aside from Janie's flounce. Granted, there are people I think are wankers but I don't think I would want to block anyone.

There's a few posters who contribute nothing except agro and get their kicks by being dickheads to people on obscure comedy forums. I ignore them; this just systematically reinforces the process.

Noonling

Surely it would get confusing though, as people reply to them? Then you don't see the original post unless they quote it. And most of the problem with gittish posters is that they end up pulling other members into derailing a thread, so that problem doesn't go away if you block gits because good people will still engage with them.

Not that I'm against the concept of blocking, I'm just not clear how it solves anything.

Quote from: Noonling on July 13, 2018, 01:48:53 PM
Surely it would get confusing though, as people reply to them? Then you don't see the original post unless they quote it.

You don't see the offender's quoted post either, for what it's worth.

I don't really block any of the dickheads - I just have a couple of folk on my blocklist who seem to post regardless of whether they have anything interesting to contribute.

NoSleep

Quote from: Noonling on July 13, 2018, 01:48:53 PM
Surely it would get confusing though, as people reply to them? Then you don't see the original post unless they quote it. And most of the problem with gittish posters is that they end up pulling other members into derailing a thread, so that problem doesn't go away if you block gits because good people will still engage with them.

Not that I'm against the concept of blocking, I'm just not clear how it solves anything.

The best bit about blocking is posts by the person you block are truncated so that you don't have to scroll past inches of their ramblings (useful with some characters who are bent on derailing with wordy posts). That includes if they are quoted; it only takes up a couple of lines, as if the quote included no text.

The other good thing is not seeing any posts by certain people means you don't have the opportunity of being sucked into the game of engagement (so you never contribute to any of the above-mentioned derailment, whether it's a wordy poster or otherwise).