Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:49:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Please can you walk me through blocking on this forum.

Started by Howj Begg, July 06, 2018, 12:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: Noonling on July 13, 2018, 01:48:53 PM
Surely it would get confusing though, as people reply to them? Then you don't see the original post unless they quote it. And most of the problem with gittish posters is that they end up pulling other members into derailing a thread, so that problem doesn't go away if you block gits because good people will still engage with them.

Not that I'm against the concept of blocking, I'm just not clear how it solves anything.

Well, through judicious use of the block feature, certain posters would be antagonistically posting to an ever decreasing circle of users meaning that they weren't able to derail threads or have a barney online because no one would be able to engage. The democratization of exclusion.

It's why I've always though shadow-bans were such an elegant solution. Post away, mate, no one is able to read your shit.

St_Eddie

Fucking hell.  Just ignore me.  There's no need to be calling me a dickhead.

phantom_power

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 13, 2018, 08:22:26 AM
I'm genuinely interested in who is so block worthy on here at the moment. It seems rather peaceful to me, aside from Janie's flounce. Granted, there are people I think are wankers but I don't think I would want to block anyone.

I wouldn't have thought I would ever need a block script but there is someone who continues to respond to my posts with disingenuous assumptions about my position on various topics, despite me politely and not so politely asking them not to. I have made a decision not to respond to them any more because it is fucking futile but seeing their replies makes my posting finger itchy. It is much easier for my sanity to just not see them. Anticipating their responses also makes me less likely to post on certain topics, and has me re-writing posts a hundred times before submitting them to ensure I haven't left any open goals, which I think is ruining my experience on here to a degree. For those reasons, not seeing their posts would be greatly beneficial to me.