Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:05:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best chilli sauces/spicy condiments

Started by Clownbaby, July 06, 2018, 11:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

I got the Meat Lust Ghost Chilli sauce a while ago and it tastes nice, but it doesn't have the intense masochistic burn that I like from ma chilli sauce. Anyone on here a chilli lover and enjoy putting themselves through pain and burning while eating? What's your ultimate hot sauce?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

https://www.semperfryllc.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

My sister got me a sampler pack from this bunch of lads a couple of years ago when she was in America. I remember the Sgt. Pepper one being very nice. It wasn't just hot as fuck and nothing else though; there was actually a bit of flavour there too. They're a small operation, so don't expect to find them in Asda anytime soon or anything.

lebowskibukowski

For the really, really bastard hot, Dave's Ultimate Insanity sauce is my favourite. Intense heat and very tasty. Blair's Ultra Death also marries huge heat and taste well.
Five Finger Death Punch sauce is also quite nice
For the more mild, it's Sriracha every time.

Ooh, and the Encona range are none too bad

Clownbaby

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on July 06, 2018, 12:05:42 PM
For the really, really bastard hot, Dave's Ultimate Insanity sauce is my favourite. Intense heat and very tasty. Blair's Ultra Death also marries huge heat and taste well.
Five Finger Death Punch sauce is also quite nice
For the more mild, it's Sriracha every time.

I've got some Encona sauce in the fridge. It's great but I hate the really aggressive squeezy bottle. The first time I used it I drowneed a chicken wing

pancreas

This is very good. You think it's too hot to be able to eat it, but actually you can keep on ploughing through. We call it Old Marston's Gut-Boiler. Don't know why.

Pseudopath

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on July 06, 2018, 12:05:42 PM

This. Although the standard West Indian Original Hot Pepper Sauce is much nicer than the Extra Hot one (more like Extra Vinegary). Haven't tried their Carolina Reaper one yet, but that sounds like it might be a bit weak-sauce too.

I've got a barely-touched bottle of Dave's Naga Jolokia sauce (800,000 SHU) which is pure fire and tastes delicious, but it gives me the instant shits. It's as though my guts just go "nope" and wave it through.

Shit Good Nose

I'm not a fan of hot chilli at all, but just popping in here to say I LOVE what Sriracha becomes after a month or two of maturing.  Ages wonderfully and develops a totally different character, just like a decent Dijon mustard does after a while.

Blue Jam

Encona do the best sweet chilli sauce. That Blue Dragon one you find everywhere is too mild, you could use it as ice cream sauce.

I'm a fan of Encona's original hot pepper sauce too, not seen the extra hot variant but I'm not big on vinegar so I'll give it a miss, thanks for the tip Pseudopath.

There's a similar thing going on with Nando's sauces. The Extra Hot is much more flavoursome than the XXX Hot, and I tried the Vusa sauce once only to instantly regret it when I noted the aggressivly garlicy aftertaste and spent the next few hours wishing I had a toothbrush with me.

I'm not into chilli sauce as much as I am into growing chillies and cooking with them. I should try growing some more Naga chillies next year, the Apache/Serrano hybrids I have growing now are doing surprisingly well in the new flat.

Dex Sawash

I tend to overuse a type until I become sick of it and never use it again.
I'm about 6 months in on that cycle with Trader Joe's Green Dragon. Not all that hot, has a little herbiness or something. A little thinner than catsup and has bits of rat faeces or other stuff in it.

non capisco

Quote from: Pseudopath on July 06, 2018, 12:27:52 PM
This. Although the standard West Indian Original Hot Pepper Sauce is much nicer than the Extra Hot one (more like Extra Vinegary). Haven't tried their Carolina Reaper one yet, but that sounds like it might be a bit weak-sauce too.

I bought the Carolina Reaper one the other week and it's nicer and smokier than the Extra Hot but not a patch on the West Indian Original, still my glorious go to after all these years. The Carolina Reaper does have the added twist that it takes about ten minutes of thumping the bottom of the bottle with your palm to coax any of it out onto your food.

The best hot sauce I've ever bought and tried was a bottle of something called Black Rose that I brought back from New Orleans two years ago, so gorgeous I was genuinely melancholy when it started running out. Going back next year at some point and I'm right back to that shop to buy more of it the second I'm off the plane.

Pseudopath

Quote from: non capisco on July 06, 2018, 01:15:42 PM
The best hot sauce I've ever bought and tried was a bottle of something called Black Rose that I brought back from New Orleans two years ago, so gorgeous I was genuinely melancholy when it started running out. Going back next year at some point and I'm right back to that shop to buy more of it the second I'm off the plane.

Pepper Palace? Good shout. They do a mustard-based Carolina Reaper sauce called Time's Up which is supposed to be astounding.

Sebastian Cobb

half an onion
3 spring onions
3 cloves of garlic
5 to 10 Scotch Bonnets with seeds in
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon freshly ground allspice
1 heaped teaspoon of flaky sea salt
300ml cider vinegar
about 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
1 lime squeezed
2 teaspoons of tomato puree
1 tsp sugar

All in the blender, blended down to a smooth consistency, then bottled.
That made 3 175ml bottles.

Make sure you pour boiling water in your bottles/jars to sterilise them or the sauce won't last

non capisco

^ Yep, Psuedopath, that's the place! Pepper Palace! Brilliant shop and they're entirely unarsed about you spending as much time as you want testing out every sauce you can in-store.

Here's the one I was on about

http://www.pepperpalace.com/Black-Rose-Hot-Sauce-p/441.htm

If I was a man of means I'd have that flown over by the crate.

Sebastian Cobb

I made a mango and lime one last weekend. Gutted too many scotch bonnets so it needed a bit more of a kick. Tastes good but looked like the rudimentary paste robocop lived on.

BlodwynPig

Bobtoo

It's not going to blow anybody's head off but the delightfully named Cock Brand is my favourite chilli sauce. Available in most Chinese supermarkets I think.

https://www.thaifooddirect.co.uk/cock-brand-sweet-chilli-sauce-for-chicken-800g.html

Sherringford Hovis

Sood's Amazon sauces are well worth looking out for; if you happen to be in a B&M Bargains, they're often £1 a bottle.

Equally good as a condiment, marinade or a cooking-sauce ingredient: the Red Scotch Bonnet is a worthy substitute if you find Tabasco too vinegary, the Habanero Mustard is also amazing with pork, but the absolute winner is the Cape Gooseberry variety: imagine a chili Um Bongo.

kngen

Clownbaby

I think my new thing actually, til I find another special chilli sauce, is sprinkling raw chopped scotch bonnets onto burgers/wraps/flatbreads. Mmmmmmmmm burny.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

mothman

Not spicy, but tonight I was reminded of my fairly recent sidcovery of a Bordelaise Sauce as an accompaniment to a steak, and I weep for all the lost years when my steak was Bordelaiseless.

Twit 2

Encona extra hot pepper sauce.
Sriracha.

St_Eddie

Mr. Singh's Hot Punjabi Chilli Sauce is the tastiest sauce that you will EVER find to go with an onion bhaji.  I cannot recommend it enough.  It's absolutely delicious and made by a family run business.  I've never found a bottle in a supermarket but it's 100% worth ordering a bottle online.  Please, please try it, if you're a fan of currys and the like.  You will NOT regret it.  I absolutely guarantee that.

I recommend the Hot Punjabi Chilli Sauce, specifically.  Their hottest sauce is okay but it's a bit too hot, in my opinion (and I'm a vindaloo kind of guy) and the amazing flavour of the hot version is somehow lost in translation.  I will recommend Mr. Singh's Hot Punjabi Chilli Sauce to anyone who will listen.  Fucking nectar of the Hindu Gods, mate.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 06, 2018, 10:12:52 PM

Mr. Singh's Hot Punjabi Chilli Sauce is the tastiest sauce that you will EVER find to go with an onion bhaji.  I cannot recommend it enough.  It's absolutely delicious and made by a family run business.  I've never found a bottle in a supermarket but it's 100% worth ordering a bottle online.  Please, please try it, if you're a fan of currys and the like.  You will NOT regret it.  I absolutely guarantee that.

I recommend the Hot Punjabi Chilli Sauce, specifically.  Their hottest sauce is okay but it's a bit too hot, in my opinion (and I'm a vindaloo kind of guy) and the amazing flavour of the hot version is somehow lost in translation.  I will recommend Mr. Singh's Hot Punjabi Chilli Sauce to anyone who will listen.  Fucking nectar of the Hindu Gods, mate.

https://youtu.be/gCFV1Vkuxtk

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 06, 2018, 10:39:37 PM

https://youtu.be/gCFV1Vkuxtk

Fuck that stupid video!  "Tastes like ketchup".  Um, no it fucking doesn't!  That's akin to saying that the world's finest champagne tastes like Lambrini with some lemonade poured into it.  That woman's probably killed her tastebuds from making dumb videos like that.  It proper annoys me to think that people will avoid a great sauce, produced by a family run business because some useless bint on YouTube was scarping the barrel for likes and subscriptions.  It's not even a case of 'oh wow, look!  I can down an incredibly spicy sauce in one' because it's not even that spicy.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Morrisons do a ghost pepper sauce that is rather nice. It's hot enough that it gives me instant hiccups, but the heat is balanced out by the rich fruity flavour.

nedthemumbler

Quote from: Twit 2 on July 06, 2018, 09:57:50 PM
Encona normally hot pepper sauce.
Sriracha.

This is pretty much any Brit's starter for ten, readily available along with cholula/tabasco (same vinegar salt cumin concoction different hats) and maybe Linghams and some decent jarred Indian pickles.

I find the extra hot Encona goes way overboard with the salt, especially in ratio with the heat. 

Normal is best, particularly on beans on cheese on toast or buttered bread

( chuck peanut butter on there too and you are really motoring, perfect rich sweetness given a poke from the salty astringent encona smear, losing enough of its spikiness amid all the fat to enjoy in a whole new way)

Making own always fun, and a bit of a gamble.  My deli sell fresh naga family chillis now so a few of those gently barbecued then slathered in whatever oils , veg and vinegars occur to you will be definitely a good experience no matter how many times ypu don't quite get it right.   

Be better than me and think beyond Herbs de Provence, fantastic but not all there is

Trees Cant Dance is a great little bottled sauce company, proper balanced not just stuff with a macabre keyring for teenagers to buy each other at T in the Park

Of those only tried Insanity I believe, but so dilute it may as well have been CS.

wooders1978

Agree about Singhs, very good hot sauce - think opodo sell it, they definitely used to anyway.
I like a couple from the Wiltshire chilli farm (https://www.justchillies.co.uk/?v=79cba1185463)
Their golden bonnnet is particularly good - the reaper habanero has an amazing flavour but was just to silly hot for my tastes - if you're into that searing heat then I recommend it

New Jack

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 06, 2018, 01:25:22 PM
half an onion
3 spring onions
3 cloves of garlic
5 to 10 Scotch Bonnets with seeds in
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon freshly ground allspice
1 heaped teaspoon of flaky sea salt
300ml cider vinegar
about 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
1 lime squeezed
2 teaspoons of tomato puree
1 tsp sugar

All in the blender, blended down to a smooth consistency, then bottled.
That made 3 175ml bottles.

Make sure you pour boiling water in your bottles/jars to sterilise them or the sauce won't last

Might 'do' this very post, I grew a prairie fire chilli plant and the little fella is now sprouting more chillies than I can reasonably eat (fortunately I eat unreasonably, but even so, seems prudent to use all the produce).