Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:52:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Most unconvincing comedy performers

Started by Clownbaby, July 06, 2018, 03:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 07, 2018, 04:56:32 PM
Plus Chloe Annet was worse.

You beat me to it!  Except it wasn't her fault, it was what they did with the character - they made her annoying but not annoying enough to be funny. 

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on July 07, 2018, 05:14:16 PM
To be fair to her, the writing she had to work with generally ranged from mediocre to atrocious.

Yeah, that's a fair point.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on July 07, 2018, 05:14:16 PM
To be fair to her, the writing she had to work with generally ranged from mediocre to atrocious.

I completely agree.  In series VII, Chloë Annett comes across as irritating, whiny and snide but that's exactly how her character is written, so she's doing a great job, technically.  Then in series VIII, all of her character traits were removed and she was left with absolutely nothing to work with, except for being a woman for the men to leer at.  For how demeaning it was and what little it's worth, she excelled at that too.

Doug Naylor is not known for being the greatest of writers when it comes to writing dialogue for female characters.  It's all a bit silly really because given that it's not his particular strength, I think that he should simply stop writing for female characters and instead, simply write a character, in the same manner that he would if he were writing for a male character and then just cast a female to play the role.  Sigourney Weaver as Ripley, in Alien, came to be in this way and she's considered one of the greatest, if not the greatest, heroine in all of modern fiction.

Clownbaby

^ Same thing with Katherine Parkinson as Jen in the IT Crowd. Just written as a really womany woman who is all periods and shoes and boys and hormones (but Katherine Parkinson isn't good anyway) It's weird how Graham Linehan said he's not very good at writing for women cause didn't he previously say that with Mrs Doyle he just wrote a funny character because he didn't like the one-dimentional "womany woman" characters? Why didn't he just do that again? Slippery one that Linehan.

There's another one. Katherine Parkinson. Of all the people they could have picked for The IT Crowd, why was she picked? Why? Then again just about everything about that show doesn't quite work

Phil_A

Can we all agree Rich Fulcher is terrible in everything?

Clownbaby

Quote from: Phil_A on July 07, 2018, 08:29:17 PM

I agree he's technically shit but I sort of love him

St_Eddie

Absolutely not!

jobotic

He's great in The Mighty Boosh series one, as is everyone. Then they all go shit.

Never seen him in anything else other than a few bits of Snuffbox that I've forgotten.

Clownbaby

I legit love Rich Fulcher. I watch this when I need cheering up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hc_dQ4Htn8

...COWABUNGA

magval

Aye, in the radio series Rich gives one of my favourite performances in comedy ever.

jobotic

Always forget about the radio series, even though I have it on CD.

remedial_gash

Fuck you all, Grogan was a proper pop star before Red Dwarf and sexy and stuff. Chloe Annet was shit in RD - maybe not her her fault  -  but she was also shit in the David Wicks off Eastenders time/crime/whine thing, but David Wicks was at least obliquely funny.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: remedial_gash on July 08, 2018, 01:19:25 AM
Fuck you all, Grogan was a proper pop star before Red Dwarf and sexy and stuff. Chloe Annet was shit in RD - maybe not her her fault  -  but she was also shit in the David Wicks off Eastenders time/crime/whine thing, but David Wicks was at least obliquely funny.
Fuck the pop star stuff. She was excellent in your Bill Forsyth films.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 08, 2018, 01:20:41 AM
Fuck the pop star stuff. She was excellent in your Bill Forsyth films.

Gregory's Girl!  See, I know her from something besides Red Dwarf too!

magval

She was in Ted too. Don't call her a lovely girl, she's sold twenty million records.

spamwangler

gloriously, brilliantly, hilariously shit

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Clownbaby on July 07, 2018, 07:19:47 PM
There's another one. Katherine Parkinson. Of all the people they could have picked for The IT Crowd, why was she picked? Why? Then again just about everything about that show doesn't quite work

I feel the same about Chris O'Dowd. I re-watched The IT Crowd recently and really disliked his performance. Is he supposed to be the everyman character? A nerd like Moss? The wisecracking one? The dopey one? You can partly blame the writing but I don't think he ever had a handle on the character.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I've always felt that Brian Posehn has managed to carve out a fairly successful career in comedy, seemingly by dint of being mates with a slew of far more talented writer/performers.

neveragain

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on July 08, 2018, 06:45:43 PM
I feel the same about Chris O'Dowd. I re-watched The IT Crowd recently and really disliked his performance. Is he supposed to be the everyman character? A nerd like Moss? The wisecracking one? The dopey one? You can partly blame the writing but I don't think he ever had a handle on the character.

Agree about O'Dowd there. Also seen him be very good elsewhere.
Katherine Parkinson too - her Inside No 9 part is enough to convince me of her acting abilities (Humans too) but she seems to be going from strength to strength.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: St_Eddie on July 08, 2018, 01:24:06 AM
Gregory's Girl!  See, I know her from something besides Red Dwarf too!

tiny too. her & toyah both- used to see them at work (VH-1) back in the day.

St_Eddie

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 08, 2018, 09:24:51 PM
tiny too. her & toyah both- used to see them at work (VH-1) back in the day.

My teacher made us watch Gregory's Girl, as kids, during activity week because it was his "favourite film ever, like".  All I remember is a lost penguin.

10/10

Best film ever made...,like.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on July 08, 2018, 07:01:15 PM
I've always felt that Brian Posehn has managed to carve out a fairly successful career in comedy, seemingly by dint of being mates with a slew of far more talented writer/performers.
God yes. I even tried watching his standup once, which was miserable.

Clownbaby

I third Brian Posehn. There's something about his face that annoys me as well.

BeardFaceMan

Posehn did a bit in one of his specials talking about shitty comics who have kids and then talk about them on stage and that if he did that you could punch his baby. Then of course he had a baby and in his next special did a load of hacky shit about his kid. I had time for him because of Mr Show but that put me right off him.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Brian Posehn makes a good supporting oddball in mainstream romantic comedy.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I really like Jerry Seinfeld's performance in Seinfeld. Sure, he was pretty bad to start with, but he eventually learned how to work comfortably within his limitations.

It's not as if he's unaware of the fact that he can't really act in the conventional sense, as it became a running joke in the faultless season where Jerry and George get their own sitcom.

His self-amused smirk is perfectly in keeping with that shallow, selfish character, and those moments where he's clearly struggling to keep it together never come across as self-indulgent, as what he's struggling to cope with is always so funny. It's endearing.

His delivery is often impeccable too, he has an innate sense of comic timing. He more than holds his own against the other three, which is pretty impressive as they're all brilliant 'proper' actors.

Harold Angryperson

When I was a kid Jennifer Saunders as Helen Mucus in the Young Ones episode 'Time' used to annoy the bejesus out of me with her flat, dispassionate line readings, especially when she's supposed to have thrown a teacup at the radio (or something) so the lads wouldn't hear a news bulletin about the murderess on the loose (which is of course Saunders). I think she says something like 'oh dear, how clumsy of me, what can I say' and it just seemed all out of step with the rest of the show. Now I see it's sort of deliberate - she's off her trolley and attempting to appear sane. Sort of. I still feel bad about judging her so harshly, however terrible the later French and Saunders film and music video parodies were (the Poo Stripes - fuck's sake).

Clownbaby

Whenever Sara Pascoe is on a panel show or something I find it a bit awkward when she tries to do something with props. On 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown last night she did a thing with 2 dolls and it was just a bit awkward. She's alright and everything but I'm getting a bit sick of hearing her sort of spacey voice on everything. Panel shows are so saturated to the same 10 or so people in rotation

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 11, 2018, 01:12:08 AM
I really like Jerry Seinfeld's performance in Seinfeld. Sure, he was pretty bad to start with, but he eventually learned how to work comfortably within his limitations.

It's not as if he's unaware of the fact that he can't really act in the conventional sense, as it became a running joke in the faultless season where Jerry and George get their own sitcom.

His self-amused smirk is perfectly in keeping with that shallow, selfish character, and those moments where he's clearly struggling to keep it together never come across as self-indulgent, as what he's struggling to cope with is always so funny. It's endearing.

His delivery is often impeccable too, he has an innate sense of comic timing. He more than holds his own against the other three, which is pretty impressive as they're all brilliant 'proper' actors.

Thank you. I'm sick of Jerry Seinfeld getting it in the neck these days. He's brilliant in that show.

DrGreggles

Jerry plays himself against 3 of the greatest sitcom performances ever. Of course he'll look shit in comparison. But he's fucking perfect for the show.