Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:07:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best gaming laptop to buy?

Started by Clownbaby, July 06, 2018, 04:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

I've been using a really old family-style DELL laptop that's about 7 years old for Photoshop, which it can't handle because it's very slow and weak. One of my friends has a gaming laptop which she says is also great for running Photoshop on because it's built to handle big complicated things. It cost about £2500 though and I don't have that sort of money in any way shape or form. Can anyone recommend a tough and possibly sexily designed gaming laptop that's around £1000?

Sebastian Cobb

Gaming laptops are a bit of a marketing gimmick a lot of the time.

Do you actually want to game or do you want to use photoshop? Because if it's the latter and you're not dealing with video anything with a decent amount of memory and a fast ssd will do.

If you do need the resource and are spending gaming laptop money I'd suggest getting a mac instead. And I don't really like apple all that much, at least they're well built and don't look like something designed by someone who reads max power.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 06, 2018, 08:53:31 PM
Gaming laptops are a bit of a marketing gimmick a lot of the time.

Do you actually want to game or do you want to use photoshop? Because if it's the latter and you're not dealing with video anything with a decent amount of memory and a fast ssd will do.

If you do need the resource and are spending gaming laptop money I'd suggest getting a mac instead. And I don't really like apple all that much, at least they're well built and don't look like something designed by someone who reads max power.

It would be nice to have a laptop that I could game on AND use Photoshop, but I've just been looking at gaming laptops and they're all so fuckin daft looking, you're right. Ideally both gaming and Photoshop capabilities all in one would be best though. Turns out there's a gaming laptop from Currys/PC World that's about £800, a few mixed reviews though

Sebastian Cobb

Your problem here is that all the characteristics of a good laptop (light, small, good in battery life) all sacrifice performance in some way so you'll find a gaming laptop is usually a heavy sap on battery life that isn't that good on gaming.

They're usually not upgradable incrementally of course.

Clownbaby

Guess I'll fuck the gaming off and go for a Mac then. Used a Mac in uni and it was reliable

Sebastian Cobb

Your cheapo option is to get a refurb thinkpad with (or buy separately) an ssd. Could probably get that and change from a ps4 for the cost of a gaming laptop.

I use a 27" mac in work now and basically think apple are cunts. I would be very reluctant to work somewhere that makes me use windows again though.