Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:44:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Frank Skinner

Started by Seagullsim, July 06, 2018, 11:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pranet

Quote from: RedRevolver on July 12, 2018, 09:40:41 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but how much of the 'Skinner's a cunt' stories are recent? I get the impression he used to be genuinely awful because he spent half of his life pissed and these days he's more mindful/regretful of his behaviour?

I thought that he gave up drinking before he became famous.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: JarrowMonkey on July 12, 2018, 07:23:26 PM
I've read and seen numerous interviews with ex-players regarding Cloughie and none of them ever mentioned him being a bully, great with kidology and man management, but not bullying

I think there's a few players who would say that he was. A lot of the interviews with ex-players are the ones that Clough got on best with, we don't hear so much about him from people like Asa Hartford and Gary Megson who I reckon would be less glowing. 

Duncan Hamilton's excellent book about Clough gives a few examples of behaviour that could be described as bullying. In Clough's defence I think he treated a lot of people in exactly the same way and some laughed it off while some took it to heart.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Remember when he used to sing "Funtime Frankie" at the start of his talk show? That was crap and weird.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 13, 2018, 01:16:22 AM
Remember when he used to sing "Funtime Frankie" at the start of his talk show? That was crap and weird.

It was meant to be a bit crap and weird. He often used to point out his elderly houseband drummer, Ronnie Verrel supplied the skin beats for Animal in THe Muppet Show.

And played on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAkdr5PrEBI

BeardFaceMan

I dont think it was intentionally crap, hes just a frustrated singer who spent years crowbarring his singing into his comedy. He would much rather have been a singer in a band than a comedian, almost every tv program hes done has him singing in it, he even started doing it in his stand up. Sadly hes a terrible singer, fair play to him for getting enjoyment out of doing it, I'm the same, I just dont force people to listen to me do it in public.

Rolf Lundgren

In his interview with Caroline Aherne, she pulled him up on his constant singing. The worst was that Bob Dylan impression he did that got a good reaction the first time he did it so he did it every sodding week. 

paruses

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 13, 2018, 08:04:36 AM
I dont think it was intentionally crap, hes just a frustrated singer who spent years crowbarring his singing into his comedy. He would much rather have been a singer in a band than a comedian, almost every tv program hes done has him singing in it, he even started doing it in his stand up. Sadly hes a terrible singer, fair play to him for getting enjoyment out of doing it, I'm the same, I just dont force people to listen to me do it in public.

Didn't he win Celeb Stars In Their Eyes?

Singing-wise he's just got a bad crooning voice and is the sort of person who would sing seriously when you were in their company and is good enough to make the whole thing unbearably uncomfortable.

David Baddiel, on the other hand, is so terrible on Three Lions that it's a joy to listen to.

Regarding his sexual endeavours: he was more than open about that in his first biography and in early interviews; so much so that one  follow up interview made the point that if you think about his current partner you can't help but think she must experience a lot of anal sex. He's a lot more circumspect about that these days and fights it with silence whenever Emily Dean alludes to such things on their radio show. I knew a girl at university who was one of his conquests - for want of a better word. He would have been early 40s and she 18. I have no particular thoughts on that, though outside of a bit of envy (I would have loved to sleep with Frank).

I also find his Catholicism a fascination . People's faith is their own business but I would love to know what he believes and what led him there.

In conclusions, I find him very funny and part of that is his anecdotes about growing up since it's where half my family are from and is literally down the road from where I used to live. He's very sharp and is possible great to have as a friend but I wouldn't want to work for him.

Please lock this thread now I've settled it.

Tony Yeboah

He lost to Boy George on Stars in their Eyes. Skinner recounts that he then stormed off saying that the judges 'might have stars in their eyes, but they've got shit in their fucking ears.'

St_Eddie

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 13, 2018, 08:04:36 AM
...Sadly hes a terrible singer, fair play to him for getting enjoyment out of doing it, I'm the same, I just dont force people to listen to me do it in public.

Well then, quite frankly you should apply yourself better.

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on July 13, 2018, 12:47:18 PM
He lost to Boy George on Stars in their Eyes. Skinner recounts that he then stormed off saying that the judges 'might have stars in their eyes, but they've got shit in their fucking ears.'

Partridgesque.

neardark

Jesus Christ what a wanker.

Dr Rock

It doesn't work anyway, It's the contestants who have stars in their eyes.

jobotic

See I'm not a fan, but that's the second supposedly terrible line of his in this thread that I've laughed at.

St_Eddie

To be Frank, Frank Skinner has many a way to Skinner cat.

Jockice

I'm lost here. He was competing against Boy George, who is a professional singer? Or someone impersonating Boy George? And who was Frank pretending to be?

ziggy starbucks

Quote from: Jockice on July 14, 2018, 12:04:19 AM
I'm lost here. He was competing against Boy George, who is a professional singer? Or someone impersonating Boy George? And who was Frank pretending to be?

boy george

Sebastian Cobb

"it's a shit business" etc.

George wasn't that bad a singer back in the day.

I don't know why this happened, but me and a couple of mates ended up seeing a GNR tribute band that featured an Axl who had won Stars in their Eyes about 10 years previous and it might have been the worst musical experience I've ever had. It was just shite, not even comically bad, just shite.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Jockice on July 14, 2018, 12:04:19 AM
...who was Frank pretending to be?

Someone with talent.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 14, 2018, 12:21:58 AM
George wasn't that bad a singer back in the day.

Must've missed that day.

"We did when you sang' one of the judges should have replied.

neardark

Stars In Their Eyes doesn't even have judges.

idunnosomename

Quote from: paruses on July 13, 2018, 09:34:24 AM
David Baddiel, on the other hand, is so terrible on Three Lions that it's a joy to listen to.

I love that verse because it sounds like it's taken like a thousand takes to get him getting the melody right.

so many SNEERS

Of course now they could just auto-tune him

smudge1971

I recall Simon Day doing 'Victims' on one show and Skinner doing Costello (Oliver's Army I think. May have been the 'n**ger' that put shit in their ears)

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: JarrowMonkey on July 12, 2018, 07:23:26 PM
I've read and seen numerous interviews with ex-players regarding Cloughie and none of them ever mentioned him being a bully, great with kidology and man management, but not bullying

Bit shite what he said about Justin Fashanu, but I think that's more of a product of his time
Given what a few friends of mine remember from being kids, and Brian Clough coming to give out awards at their end of season thing, the similarity might be closer to Savile than Weinstein.

Jockice

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 14, 2018, 08:51:43 AM
I love that verse because it sounds like it's taken like a thousand takes to get him getting the melody right.

so many SNEERS

Of course now they could just auto-tune him

Said it before, but that is the least tuneful bit of 'singing' I've heard in my life. And I own practically everything Edwyn Collins and Mark E Smith have ever recorded.

Andy147

Jeremy Hardy? John Finnemore?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jockice on July 14, 2018, 11:57:53 AM
Said it before, but that is the least tuneful bit of 'singing' I've heard in my life. And I own practically everything Edwyn Collins and Mark E Smith have ever recorded.

You obviously have never heard Jonathan Ross sing the 'ba-ba-ba-bahs' on A Town Called Malice with Paul Weller At 5:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVBpmaVKlFc

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Andy147 on July 14, 2018, 03:49:28 PM
Jeremy Hardy? John Finnemore?

My toes curl when they do singing rounds on ISIHAC

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 14, 2018, 04:13:00 PM
You obviously have never heard Jonathan Ross sing the 'ba-ba-ba-bahs' on A Town Called Malice with Paul Weller At 5:00 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVBpmaVKlFc

I obviously never will either. I can't bear even the slightest glimpse of Ross. I find him nauseating. He should piss off back to 1987 where he belongs.

Jonathon Woss's and Russell Brand egging-each other on to their joint wind-up of Andrew Sachs could have been an Alan Partridge story.

Quote from: smudge1971 on July 14, 2018, 09:19:25 AM
I recall Simon Day doing 'Victims' on one show and Skinner doing Costello (Oliver's Army I think. May have been the 'n**ger' that put shit in their ears)

Frank Skinner went on Stars in their Eyes twice - the first time was Costello, and the second one (with Boy George) was Johnnie Ray.  He really does love his singing...

I don't know if he won the first time, either.