Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:33:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Frank Skinner

Started by Seagullsim, July 06, 2018, 11:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattD

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 14, 2018, 11:28:14 AM
Given what a few friends of mine remember from being kids, and Brian Clough coming to give out awards at their end of season thing, the similarity might be closer to Savile than Weinstein.

Christ mate, what a loaded statement. Watch out for lawyers!

Mobius

I'm looking forward to the sequel of The Damned United

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 14, 2018, 05:47:32 PM
Jonathon Woss's and Russell Brand egging-each other on to their joint wind-up of Andrew Sachs could have been an Alan Partridge story.

I might be the only other person apart from those two gits who found that quite funny. At least that's what it seems. Even the people defending them at the time would say the actual stunt wasn't funny. It sort of was though.

Jockice

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 15, 2018, 01:11:23 AM
I might be the only other person apart from those two gits who found that quite funny. At least that's what it seems. Even the people defending them at the time would say the actual stunt wasn't funny. It sort of was though.

He fucked your gwandaughter! Fucking hilarious.

Sebastian Cobb

It was pretty funny when it started properly kicking off and everyone was baying for their blood and Sachs sort-of said 'I don't really care that much'.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Jockice on July 15, 2018, 09:35:42 AM
He fucked your gwandaughter! Fucking hilarious.

Impulsively blurting out the elephant in the room just to embarrass your friend in a way you can't undo. I can't help but enjoy that. He pushed the button that says "don't push" and Brand's burst of laughter and panic is great.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: MattD on July 14, 2018, 11:26:48 PM
Christ mate, what a loaded statement. Watch out for lawyers!
I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not (sorry). Is it widespread knowledge? I genuinely have no idea. Sorry (again). But there were more than a few of my youthful footie mates who had stories about Mr Clough.

Captain Z

What did he say about Stewart Lee?

MattD

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 15, 2018, 04:01:33 PM
I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not (sorry). Is it widespread knowledge? I genuinely have no idea. Sorry (again). But there were more than a few of my youthful footie mates who had stories about Mr Clough.

Nah I'm not being serious but I've literally heard nothing.

Phil_A

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 15, 2018, 02:07:46 PM
It was pretty funny when it started properly kicking off and everyone was baying for their blood and Sachs sort-of said 'I don't really care that much'.

It doesn't sound like he wasn't bothered.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/sachsgate-obscene-prank-calls-russell-9376380

Jockice

Quote from: MattD on July 15, 2018, 05:46:12 PM
Nah I'm not being serious but I've literally heard nothing.

I thought he was talking about Justin Fashanu. About whom there were rumours. Don't know if there was any truth in them. Hie brother was a total cunt though.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Phil_A on July 15, 2018, 07:54:20 PM
It doesn't sound like he wasn't bothered.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/sachsgate-obscene-prank-calls-russell-9376380

It was truly rotten what they did but the overreaction to it all was a heavy blow to British TV comedy. Was it really eleven years ago? I forgot how controversial the whole debacle became.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Russell_Brand_Show_prank_telephone_calls_row

paruses

I am starting to think the Stewart Lee tidbit was just clickbait

MattD

The overreaction was pathetic - it was Chris Morris stuff in a nutshell really.

But I have to say, seeing Ross and Brand getting dragged through the mud was hilarious. What are either of them actually doing these days? Seems as if people came to their senses and realised what unfunny tossers they are. Next up Jimmy Carr hopefully.

Utter Shit

Not really, Ross is doing the same stuff he always did and Russell Brand had a stint as a successful movie star. Wouldn't call either of them towards either, or at least not Ross.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Russell Brand did not have a stint as a successful movie star. He just done some films. Squire.

Chriddof

Ross brought his chat show over to ITV eventually. At which point the Mail and other tabloids lost interest because that meant they couldn't also have a go at the Beeb anymore if they wrote about him. Given that the whole debacle started on a Radio 2 show, this possibly reveals why Sachsgate became the thing it did.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 16, 2018, 02:36:16 AM
Russell Brand did not have a stint as a successful movie star. He just done some films. Squire.

The two Forgetting Sarah Marshall films did big business, and he had a significant part in the Despicable Me films too. I'm not saying he's Tom Cruise or anything, but he hardly disappeared.

JarrowMonkey

Quote from: Captain Z on July 15, 2018, 05:04:24 PM
What did he say about Stewart Lee?

OK, he didn't mention him directly, however he said some comics play to the lowest common denominator, some are sniffy pretentious tossers and other just twats and he (Skinner) fell into the last camp

I'll try and get the full transcript when I've got less to do

JarrowMonkey

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 14, 2018, 11:28:14 AM
Given what a few friends of mine remember from being kids, and Brian Clough coming to give out awards at their end of season thing, the similarity might be closer to Savile than Weinstein.

He did the awards at my old school in the mid 80's, I wasn't there, but never heard a dickie bird about any Savile like behaviour

Even funnier the next year when the headmaster decided to invite Dennis Thatcher to give the awards out, laugh, I nearly etc etc etc

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 16, 2018, 09:37:38 AM
The two Forgetting Sarah Marshall films did big business, and he had a significant part in the Despicable Me films too. I'm not saying he's Tom Cruise or anything, but he hardly disappeared.

I did not know that. For some reason I've never watched anything he's ever been in.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: JarrowMonkey on July 16, 2018, 09:49:06 AM
OK, he didn't mention him directly, however he said some comics play to the lowest common denominator, some are sniffy pretentious tossers and other just twats and he (Skinner) fell into the last camp

Sounds like he's just describing comedy. You could say he's talking about Michael McIntyre as well, but didn't say anything specifically.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 16, 2018, 02:36:16 AM

What's the difference? He did some high profile Hollywood garbage for presumably millions of dollars. That can easily be interpreted as "a stint as a successful movie star". You might not like the films or Brand (like me) but reality is reality. So anyone saying Sachgate buried the pair of them is completely wrong, Ross had a chat show on ITV (one guest was Alan Partridge) in the years after and I'm sure if you check Ross and Brand's wikipedia pages you'll see plenty of success and cash, annoying as that may be.

Utter Shit

Ross' career pre and post-Sachsgate is more or less exactly the same - chat show, radio show, occasional panel show appearances and a few niche programmes about his various interests.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 16, 2018, 10:16:32 AM
I did not know that. For some reason I've never watched anything he's ever been in.

He also did Get Him to the Greek, Hop, Rock of Ages, Trolls and the apparently awful Arthur along with another 10 or so films. I've only seen Greek and Marshall and both were surprisingly enjoyable with Brand playing very close to or bang on his comedy persona and not being stretched at all as an actor which I believe was probably extremely wise.

All post Sachsgate so being rude on Sach's voicemail probably boosted his earning power if anything.

Captain Z

Quote from: JarrowMonkey on July 16, 2018, 09:49:06 AM

It's ok, that's my curiosity satisfied, thanks.

Captain Z

Russell Brand also toured a highly successful stand-up show off the back of Sachsgate too. I don't think he's a particularly good stadium comedian, and watching it back it's low on laughs, but I did smirk at the bit where he bemoans that he never got the credit he deserved for the answer phone song being entirely off the top of his head.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Captain Z on July 16, 2018, 12:36:28 PM
Russell Brand also toured a highly successful stand-up show off the back of Sachsgate too. I don't think he's a particularly good stadium comedian, and watching it back it's low on laughs, but I did smirk at the bit where he bemoans that he never got the credit he deserved for the answer phone song being entirely off the top of his head.

It was a pretty good improvised song, to be fair.

Mr Faineant

I can't help but like Russell brand, based purely on the radio shows. I think they are excellent. In units of time, the percentage of radio show to other stuff is quite high I'd guess. Just about everything else is shit, but the radio stuff has entertained me for hours and hours.

EOLAN

I can't help but not like Russell Brand based purely on his contributions to the Monty Python (Life of Python???) documentary. Was just giving fairly standard statements which is fine but always had to insert some unnecessary obtuse words which made him feel like he was being all clever but really just made him come across like a self-indulgent poor communicator.