Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:41:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Frank Skinner

Started by Seagullsim, July 06, 2018, 11:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hecate

Yeah, she's great, a lot of her gems get lost in the noise, people talking over her or thinking of their next gag while they're not really listening.
Yeah, I don't hate Alun, but like you say, he brings absolutely nothing to the table and I suspect he could have easily ruined a show if people of Frank and Emilys calibre weren't there to cancel him out.
Frank Emily and gareth is definitely the dream team. Gareth's infectious joy and endearing self doubt (I love hearing him saying something funny and then mumbling away like he hates himself and wishing he'd just kept his mouth shut).
Never rated her but the few times Holly Walsh has been on, she's been good, really slotted in well to the rambling conversational nature and bounced off Frank well.

I really liked the relaxed, laid back nature of the earlier shows, it seems a bit more excitable nowadays. I can remember saying "that's right, talk all over each other, this is what radio was made for" out loud before now.

Hecate

Speaking of Frank's gittishness, there's been some wonderfully uncomfortable moments where he's absolutely laid into Steve Hall and I'm never sure if he's trying to build up his confidence and make him stand up for himself or if he hates him and wants him to die. I always feel sorry for Steve because he's a bit naff but he seems clever and is trying his best but just keeps forever getting a rolled up newspaper across the snout whenever he sits at Franks feet, looking up lovingly.

gmoney

I have been wondering the same thing Hecate. Frank's never normally shy about mocking Steve if he's said something boring/unfunny when he's guested in the past, but the last couple of weeks he interrupted Skinner during the intro, and Frank then proceeded to brow beat him on air and then cut him up virtually every time he said something. I wasn't complaining as I find Steve Hall tiresome in the extreme. 

To Hall's credit, he never stopped trying to squeeze in his awful material. 

Hecate

Quote from: gmoney on August 28, 2018, 03:09:52 AMTo Hall's credit, he never stopped trying to squeeze in his awful material.

(Steve Hall voice) have you ever considered playing tennis, because that's one hell of a backhand!

I'll have to find the one episode in particular where he goes off on a total character assassination.

Mr Faineant

Are the ones with Gareth available anywhere?

paruses

I haven't listened to this for ages outside of a few snippets of a Saturday morning. I went through a phase of listening to (and catching up on ) the archive every morning oas I skipped through the streets of London town.

Whoever first mentioned Alun not bringing anything to the table has it dead on - I could never put my finger on what was wrong but that's it. There's just no need for him. I quite like his stuff but it never seemed to fit in with the dynamic of the show. I like Emily - she seems to have toned down the posh entitled schtick and that works for me.

I find Gareth really funny but then he drops the riffing and goes into a Bit and that kills it dead.

That's all I have to say for now.

Is Emily still going out with Richard Osmond?

[Edited to spell Richard Osmond's name wrong twice; just for the petty satisfaction]

turnstyle

I don't mind Alun really, he's pretty inoffensive, but if I hear the phrases:

'Worked with them all'
or
'Friday night trawl'

ever again, I will go MENTAL.

So, by this Saturday then.

I started listening in the Gareth era, and when I first heard him I assumed that he had wandered into the studio off the street and everyone was being polite to him until the police arrived. The quirky bugger quickly grew on me though, and I do like it when he comes back.

Utter Shit

I don't think Alun Cochrane is particularly good or bad on the podcast, he's just there. That is still a marked improvement on Gareth Richards though, who always sounded half-cut and exuded such horrible anxiety that I felt like I was getting work-related stress by-proxy. He just came across as worried all the time, I couldn't relax listening to him.

I hadn't ever noticed the Steve Hall thing until someone mentioned it recently, but it really does come across like Frank hates him...I suspect that isn't true though, because it never seems like there's a bad atmosphere off the back of his digs, and Steve doesn't seem to be bothered by them at all. If it was as bad as it sometimes seems, it's difficult to imagine him wanting to be on there, but he's regularly filled in for years. Possibly just a comedic device based on the dynamic in their relationship as they have got to know each other over the years?

I'd love to see Matt Forde on the show, as Frank seems to be in love with him.

RicoMNKN

Emily's Walking The Dog podcast can be pretty good.
https://www.acast.com/walkingthedog

Seem to remember the Jonathan Ross one being particularly candid in places.

lankyguy95

SATurDAY MORNIING!

I like Gareth. He was a nice contrast to the confidence of Skinner and Dean. There was a funny one when he got nominated for Best Newcomer at the Edinburgh Fringe and he suddenly became amusingly arrogant for one show after.

Utter Shit

Quote from: RicoMNKN on August 28, 2018, 02:06:14 PM
Emily's Walking The Dog podcast can be pretty good.
https://www.acast.com/walkingthedog

Seem to remember the Jonathan Ross one being particularly candid in places.

Yeah I really enjoy this too. The Rob Beckett one is really good - I've always quite liked him anyway, but any of the many people who see him as obnoxious and noisy should listen to it, you hear a very different side to him.

Incidentally, Emily Dean's relationship history is completely bonkers, I love it. From what they often allude to she's gone out with footballers and boxers in the past, more recently she was with that hairy child from Game of Thrones for a while, and is now seeing Richard Osman. All over the place.

paruses

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 28, 2018, 01:56:36 PM
I don't think Alun Cochrane is particularly good or bad on the podcast, he's just there. That is still a marked improvement on Gareth Richards though, who always sounded half-cut and exuded such horrible anxiety that I felt like I was getting work-related stress by-proxy. He just came across as worried all the time, I couldn't relax listening to him.

I hadn't ever noticed the Steve Hall thing until someone mentioned it recently, but it really does come across like Frank hates him.[...]

Same re: Gareth. It's like on panel shows and they have an audience member sit in for a missing guest. My palms have gone sweaty just thinking about it.

Also had not noticed the Steve Hall thing - I just assumed that Frank in his dotage assumed he was talking to David Baddiel.

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 28, 2018, 02:21:08 PM
Yeah I really enjoy this too. [Podcast]

Incidentally, Emily Dean's relationship history is completely bonkers, I love it. From what they often allude to she's gone out with footballers and boxers in the past, more recently she was with that hairy child from Game of Thrones for a while, and is now seeing Richard Osman. All over the place.

I'll give that a listen, thanks.

Didn't she have quite an exciting 90s? It certainly used to get alluded to and shut down in the way that people do when they want just enough of the story out there to be mysterious. I think she has a story about turning down Shaquille O'Neal, sexwise.

ColinPopshed

Emily is great. If Franks ever out and she's main host, she's even better. Really quite funny and super likeable, would like to see her do other stuff (her podcast is good but I mean something more substantial).